z.nrd Guest

Could someone clarify the rule on links

I understand that we're not supposed to link other Rams message boards. Though frankly, that's not in the rules. Still, maybe that's covered by spamming, though I always figured spamming was something different. But that's okay. No linking other boards, got it.

But why no linking to official articles? Articles in the PD, for example, or in USA Today or whatever. Is that considered spamming? Just wondering. You know a lot of sites won't let you post an article UNLESS you link it (that has to do with copyright regs, I;m told). So I am just asking the reason---what is the reason for this rule? And is this, too, considered spamming? Cause ordinarily I would not expect that. That linking an official article from say the PD is "spamming."

This is not a "protest." Just confused and asking for the reasons. Only cause I'm curious.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Could someone clarify the rule on links

I'm not aware of any rule against merely linking to an article if it comes from a media source (i.e. PD, USAToday, ESPN.com). We do generally prohibit links to "articles" posted on other message boards (which, by the way, was done primarily due to posters from other boards coming here to solicit new members).

Typically, though, if someone wants to post an article here, they simply cut and paste the article and cite the source.

z.nrd Guest

Re: Could someone clarify the rule on links

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I'm not aware of any rule against merely linking to an article if it comes from a media source (i.e. PD, USAToday, ESPN.com). We do generally prohibit links to "articles" posted on other message boards (which, by the way, was done primarily due to posters from other boards coming here to solicit new members).

Typically, though, if someone wants to post an article here, they simply cut and paste the article and cite the source.
    Well, there's been a misunderstanding, then, because I posted a link to a PD article -- not from any message board, straight up on the PD Rams sports pages --- and it got deleted, with an admin message edited into the post saying (more or less) "don't post links."

I get the thing about not posting links to other message boards. Some places disallow that, some allow it, but when in Rome.

I just didn't get why a link to a PD article on its original page got deleted.

BTW, it would probably help if your rules flat stated "don't link other message boards." (Unless I missed it?) It should be no trouble to add that to the list of rules, just so it's clear. Not everyone linkng another board has nefarious intentions, so, they might not dawn on them that there's a rule, if it's not explicitly stated. I don't think spamming covers that because spamming usually means either (1) the abuse of electronic messaging systems like message boards to post unsolicited bulk messages and advertizements, or (2) repeated posting of the exact same message with the intent to be disruptive, or drive up post counts, etc.
    Last edited by z.nrd; -07-31-2007 at 01:03 PM.