Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rep.

bigredman is offline Registered User

Re: Rep.

Quote Originally Posted by YodaRam View Post
    Well said. Which brings me back to the question that nobody seems to answer. I have read the "meaning" in the "FAQ" as Dez pointed out to me. It does not, however, address my "example" question. Will anyone?
    Get a load of this guy. He wants someone to just hand him the secret of the rep and gold thingies, and here I am, walking across this stinking desert, traveling the world on foot to find the answer. "Seek and you shall find grasshopper" he said. Damn Chinese Master.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rep.-kung-fu-caine.jpg  

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    Get a load of this guy. He wants someone to just hand him the secret of the rep and gold thingies, and here I am, walking across this stinking desert, traveling the world on foot to find the answer.
    Hmmm. I could have swown you by-passed any answer and just went straight to begging and groveling.

Josh Guest

Only I have the answer For the Golden thinges... Mwhaaaaaahhahahah

YodaRam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    Get a load of this guy. He wants someone to just hand him the secret of the rep and gold thingies, and here I am, walking across this stinking desert, traveling the world on foot to find the answer. "Seek and you shall find grasshopper" he said. Damn Chinese Master.
    I bow to you, BRM. ........Now, take a bath! ...Kwai Chang Caine!
    And put some damn shoes on! A Shaolin Monk should be smarter than that.

RAM ON!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Example: I went to my User C.P. today and noticed that i had been given rep. on the 14th and 18th of this month. Which i appreciate. But it didn't increase my rep. power. My rep. points were 238. What ever that means. Can somebody please clarify this for me?........Thanks!
    It takes more than just one or two reputation responses to have a significant impact on your actual reputation. Your numerical score (ie. the total points you see in the UserCP) should go up with every piece of rep, but the # of gold rep icons and your Rep Power will not shift without a significant amount of rep or rep from someone with a large rep power.

YodaRam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    It takes more than just one or two reputation responses to have a significant impact on your actual reputation. Your numerical score (ie. the total points you see in the UserCP) should go up with every piece of rep, but the # of gold rep icons and your Rep Power will not shift without a significant amount of rep or rep from someone with a large rep power.
    I appreciate your response (or any response for that matter). But i asked you to look at the "Example" that i posted earlier. Let's try this one more time.
    I was given "rep" on the 14th and 18th of this month (August, 2008.) Their respective rep powers are 18 and 17.My rep power is 9. I would think that that their rep powers are significantly high.So, given your reasoning, there should be no doubt that my rep power should have increased! Yes?
    Or does something "stink" here! This does not "jive". So i'll ask this question again and again. And i will not stop until i receive a satisfactory answer.

RAM ON!

YodaRam Guest

Do not underestimate the power of the YODE! That's right. I said YODE. Not Yoda. There is a reason! ........It's simple. Resolve this.

RAM ON!

I appreciate your response (or any response for that matter). But i asked you to look at the "Example" that i posted earlier.
    And I specifically quoted the part of your post that said "Example."

I was given "rep" on the 14th and 18th of this month (August, 2008.) Their respective rep powers are 18 and 17.My rep power is 9. I would think that that their rep powers are significantly high.So, given your reasoning, there should be no doubt that my rep power should have increased! Yes?
    Not necessarily. As I stated in my previous response, it takes more than just one or two reputation responses to have a significant impact on your actual reputation. Receiving two reputation responses from individuals in the high teens may not be enough to cause an increase in your actual rep power.

YodaRam Guest

Not necessarily. As I stated in my previous response, it takes more than just one or two reputation responses to have a significant impact on your actual reputation. Receiving two reputation responses from individuals in the high teens may not be enough to cause an increase in your actual rep power.
    Again veiled. Without a clear cut method of determination, it is, in fact, subjective. In other words, if i don't kiss the right moderators butts, regardless of how well i posted and who thought i had posted well and gave me "kudos" or "rep" i would not have it reflected in my "rep power". Is that correct?

RAM ON!

YodaRam Guest

And where is this stated in the "meaning" of "reputation' in this site. And don't direct me to the upper right hand corner. Been there. Doesn't address this at all.

RAM ON!

Josh Guest

well, I will give you rep. Let's see if it moves.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Again veiled. Without a clear cut method of determination, it is, in fact, subjective. In other words, if i don't kiss the right moderators butts, regardless of how well i posted and who thought i had posted well and gave me "kudos" or "rep" i would not have it reflected in my "rep power". Is that correct?

RAM ON!
    Quit posting sensless drivel and you'll earn rep slowly but surely as time goes by. Less take Nick for example he has 11,632 high quality posts and has 36 rep, or 1 rep per 323 posts...you have 306 low quality posts and 9 rep, or 1 rep per 34 posts. You have way more than you deserve, so count yourself lucky and drop it. Whining about not having more isn't going to get it for you. You got your answers from Dez & Nick what more do you want? The algorithmic equation vBulletin uses to determine it?

Josh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    Quit posting sensless drivel and you'll earn rep slowly but surely as time goes by. Less take Nick for example he has 11,632 high quality posts and has 36 rep, or 1 rep per 323 posts...you have 306 low quality posts and 9 rep, or 1 rep per 34 posts. You have way more than you deserve, so count yourself lucky and drop it. Whining about not having more isn't going to get it for you. You got your answers from Dez & Nick what more do you want? The algorithmic equation vBulletin uses to determine it?

That was a Little mean don't you think?

To my knowledge, the reputation system was designed by vBulletin, the company that made this entire bulletin board software. My understanding is that there are numerical parameters regarding how the system functions.

I am not an administrator on this board, so I cannot view the reputation settings that Dez has input for the Clan. However, as I am an administrator on another vBulletin message board, I have access to their admin control panel and can view/edit such things.

When it comes to reputation, the only thing I can see that is customizable is the reputation level (the text you see when you mouse over the gold rep icons) and the total rep points necessary to reach that level. The rest, including the number of points given to a poster when another leaves them rep, is assigned by the vBulletin system.

According to the FAQ, the amount of reputation that each user will give (or take away if negative) is shown in the user's posts as 'Reputation Power'. I would assume that means that, if you were to give someone positive reputation, they would add nine rep points to their total point number. And again, it's my understanding that reputation levels and rep power is determined based on those point totals.

So while you received rep from two people with rep powers of 18 and 17 respectively, that totals 35 rep points, and it's probable that the difference between where you are now and the next rep level or rep power level is greater than 35 points. Right now, your rep level is "a jewel in the rough." If the difference between that rep level and the next one is, say, 100 points, then 35 points of reputation may not be enough to get you to the next level, depending on where you started.

Keep in mind that the reputation system is designed by vBulletin so that the higher a poster's rep power, the more reputation points that poster will add - or take away - when leaving reputation feedback for someone else. This, I would assume, is to reward those posters who have received a lot of reputation during their time on a board, since reputation is an indication of quality posting or posts that others agree with. As you can see in the Top 5 Stats section on the main forum page, the top five reputation levels are held by moderators. That's likely due to a lot of reputation feedback distributed over a number of years.

The implication that one has to "kiss the right moderators butts" in order to gain reputation and improve in rep power is not only completely false, but a rather disappointing accusation to see made. Every poster is capable of leaving reputation feedback for other members, and those rep points add up. You don't have to have reputation feedback from moderators in order to increase your reputation level and rep power; however, since many of the moderators have high rep powers, reputation feedback from them will likely have a more significant effect on your rep level and power since more points are being given or taken away.

There are plenty of normal members, though, that have high reputation levels and more significant effects when they leave reputation feedback. r8rh8rmike, UtterBlitz, Bar-bq, bigredman, general counsel, AlphaRam are just a few off the top of my head. Those posters, like the moderators, received their high reputation power over a long period of receiving reputation feedback from many users regarding many posts. And I'm sure that not all of those posts were in complete agreement with the moderators of the board, especially since we moderators at times don't even agree with each other.

If others share your opinion on a topic or think a post you've made is deserving of recognition, they're able to leave you rep points accordingly. Those rep points will add up and will eventually change your rep level, for better or for worse. The idea, however, that one needs to suck up to the moderators in order to gain reputation points or power simply is not representative of how the system works because reputation points can be received by any ClanRam member.

I'm not sure how much clearer I can be on this issue, but I sincerely hope this has put an end to the continued questioning of the ClanRam's credibility. If you have additional questions about how the reputation feature works, I would suggest you visit or contact vBulletin to see if they offer more detailed explanations. Otherwise, I would think this topic has basically been addressed as thoroughly as it can be.

YodaRam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    "Senseless drivel". How is that? I'm asking a "simple" question that nobody seems to want to "directly" answer.
    As far as "you have way more than you deserve", you're probably right. And i'm not surprised that "you" said that. I thought that we were good with each other but apparently not. .......GGGRRRR...SNAP! SNAP! .......JeeZ!
    That's not my point. ....Take all my rep away. Ban me from this site. But give the honest posters a more complete and unbiased definition of what rep. is and how it is attained on this site!
    I swear. Sometimes this site seems more like a cult than a welcome forum for anybody to post their opinions on.

RAM ON!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast