Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rep.

Josh Guest

Re: Rep.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    To my knowledge, the reputation system was designed by vBulletin, the company that made this entire bulletin board software. My understanding is that there are numerical parameters regarding how the system functions.

I am not an administrator on this board, so I cannot view the reputation settings that Dez has input for the Clan. However, as I am an administrator on another vBulletin message board, I have access to their admin control panel and can view/edit such things.

When it comes to reputation, the only thing I can see that is customizable is the reputation level (the text you see when you mouse over the gold rep icons) and the total rep points necessary to reach that level. The rest, including the number of points given to a poster when another leaves them rep, is assigned by the vBulletin system.

According to the FAQ, the amount of reputation that each user will give (or take away if negative) is shown in the user's posts as 'Reputation Power'. I would assume that means that, if you were to give someone positive reputation, they would add nine rep points to their total point number. And again, it's my understanding that reputation levels and rep power is determined based on those point totals.

So while you received rep from two people with rep powers of 18 and 17 respectively, that totals 35 rep points, and it's probable that the difference between where you are now and the next rep level or rep power level is greater than 35 points. Right now, your rep level is "a jewel in the rough." If the difference between that rep level and the next one is, say, 100 points, then 35 points of reputation may not be enough to get you to the next level, depending on where you started.

Keep in mind that the reputation system is designed by vBulletin so that the higher a poster's rep power, the more reputation points that poster will add - or take away - when leaving reputation feedback for someone else. This, I would assume, is to reward those posters who have received a lot of reputation during their time on a board, since reputation is an indication of quality posting or posts that others agree with. As you can see in the Top 5 Stats section on the main forum page, the top five reputation levels are held by moderators. That's likely due to a lot of reputation feedback distributed over a number of years.

The implication that one has to "kiss the right moderators butts" in order to gain reputation and improve in rep power is not only completely false, but a rather disappointing accusation to see made. Every poster is capable of leaving reputation feedback for other members, and those rep points add up. You don't have to have reputation feedback from moderators in order to increase your reputation level and rep power; however, since many of the moderators have high rep powers, reputation feedback from them will likely have a more significant effect on your rep level and power since more points are being given or taken away.

There are plenty of normal members, though, that have high reputation levels and more significant effects when they leave reputation feedback. r8rh8rmike, UtterBlitz, Bar-bq, bigredman, general counsel, AlphaRam are just a few off the top of my head. Those posters, like the moderators, received their high reputation power over a long period of receiving reputation feedback from many users regarding many posts. And I'm sure that not all of those posts were in complete agreement with the moderators of the board, especially since we moderators at times don't even agree with each other.

If others share your opinion on a topic or think a post you've made is deserving of recognition, they're able to leave you rep points accordingly. Those rep points will add up and will eventually change your rep level, for better or for worse. The idea, however, that one needs to suck up to the moderators in order to gain reputation points or power simply is not representative of how the system works because reputation points can be received by any ClanRam member.

I'm not sure how much clearer I can be on this issue, but I sincerely hope this has put an end to the continued questioning of the ClanRam's credibility. If you have additional questions about how the reputation feature works, I would suggest you visit or contact vBulletin to see if they offer more detailed explanations. Otherwise, I would think this topic has basically been addressed as thoroughly as it can be.
    Hey Nick can you repeat all of that again?? I missed it.

YodaRam Guest

[QUOTE][QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

There are plenty of normal members, though, that have high reputation levels and more significant effects when they leave reputation feedback. r8rh8rmike, UtterBlitz, Bar-bq, bigredman, general counsel, AlphaRam are just a few off the top of my head.
    Thank you Nick. Finally, an answer. Although it was bigredman and Bar-bq that last gave me rep and it had no effect on my rep power. ...go figure.

MMMMMMMMmmmmmm.........

Something smells funny, here.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

[QUOTE=YodaRam;238875][QUOTE]

Thank you Nick. Finally, an answer. Although it was bigredman and Bar-bq that last gave me rep and it had no effect on my rep power. ...go figure.

MMMMMMMMmmmmmm.........

Something smells funny, here.
    I'm late to this conversation, but hopefully I can help, maybe. Yoda, you said you have 238 points currently. And you said you received rep from a pair of heavy hitters at 18 & 17. So before you received those two reps you 238 - 18 - 17 = 203.

The levels between moving up rep power is "roughly" 100 points or so. I say, roughly, because I believe at lower levels the gap is less. As well, the number of posts one has adds to rep power; every 1000 posts or so an additional rep power point is awarded.

So anyway, your current rep power of "9" was probably attained when you crossed over the 200 point marker. But from 203 to 238, you haven't yet crossed over to the "10" spot yet.

Hopefully, this helps.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Rep points, gold thingies/bars what's this all about?

Josh Guest

Gold thingies?? Wow this site sure has changed.

YodaRam Guest

[QUOTE=HUbison;238895][QUOTE=YodaRam;238875]
    I'm late to this conversation, but hopefully I can help, maybe. Yoda, you said you have 238 points currently. And you said you received rep from a pair of heavy hitters at 18 & 17. So before you received those two reps you 238 - 18 - 17 = 203.

The levels between moving up rep power is "roughly" 100 points or so. I say, roughly, because I believe at lower levels the gap is less. As well, the number of posts one has adds to rep power; every 1000 posts or so an additional rep power point is awarded.

So anyway, your current rep power of "9" was probably attained when you crossed over the 200 point marker. But from 203 to 238, you haven't yet crossed over to the "10" spot yet.

Hopefully, this helps.
    Thank you, HUbison! .... Finally! My "quest" has ended! Clarity has been achieved. I thank Dez and Nick for trying to help, as well. But, ultimately, bison had the answer i was searching for........I think i'll put some shoes on now.

RAM ON!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

[QUOTE=YodaRam;238945][QUOTE=HUbison;238895]
    Quote Originally Posted by YodaRam View Post

Thank you, HUbison! .... Finally! My "quest" has ended! Clarity has been achieved. I thank Dez and Nick for trying to help, as well. But, ultimately, bison had the answer i was searching for........I think i'll put some shoes on now.

RAM ON!
    Of course you're going to throw some rep points his way, right?

YodaRam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Of course you're going to throw some rep points his way, right?
    Thank you for reminding me! .......Done deal!

RAM ON!
    Last edited by HUbison; -08-20-2008 at 04:10 PM.

Josh Guest

WHATTT!!! Your Yoda... where did he go?

YodaRam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    WHATTT!!! Your Yoda... where did he go?
    No Josh. Now i am Kwai Chang Caine. ......And "when you are able to snatch the pebble from the palm of my hand. Then you will know that it is time for you to leave." .......Or right now. Which ever comes first!

RAM ON!
    Last edited by YodaRam; -08-20-2008 at 10:02 PM.

Josh Guest

So I guess Now I am the Lone Yoda on here. That's cool. I shall represent well.

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Im confused.. why isint there a button that you can press to make everybody give you rep??
    I really haven't a clue how it all works other than if someone appreciates what you post, whether it be insightful, a story or thought found elsewhere and shared here or it simply strikes their funny bone then they might be kind enough to click on the scales and "rep" the poster.

One can also give neg reps ( I have received a couple) if somebody is particularly offended (in a bad mood that day?) and wants to ..ahem.. punish you.

You can post a thread begging for reps to garner a specific goal one has in mind (that has NEVER happened here).

Don't get too caught up in the pursuit of rep points, they will accumulate in time if you just try to add to the conversation in a way that benefits the conversation.
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

rampower is offline Registered User

Can I be the first to sell rep points?

Just paypal me $10 for positive rep!!

Yes thats it. Just 10 dollars for recognition and respect.

Beats an online degree purchase anyday!!
    The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

My mind is actually boggled here, because the formula is simple. When you have 0 rep power, you will go up to 1 after you have received 50 rep points, then to 2 after you have 100 rep points. Then you will go up one more level for every 100 rep points you earn after that ...

With that said, Yoda has 10 rep power with 340 posts, which means he must have at least 900 rep points ...

If not, something is screwy with the system ...

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    something is screwy with the system ...
    Hmmm...I pointed that out in the beginning of the rep system - 3 years ago.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast