Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Chat Transcript with NFL Draft Countdown's Scott Wright!

On the evening of April 17th, NFLDraftCountdown.com founder and president Scott Wright took some time out of his schedule to come chat about the draft with the Clan! Here's what he had to say about where the Rams may be looking...

[Nick] Alrighty, welcome to the ClanRam Draft Chat w/ Scott Wright! In an effort to keep things organized, we ask that all participants be aware of our chat format. The order in which to ask questions is based on the chat roster to the right. The person at the top of the list will start, and then we proceed down the list one at a time. Once Scott has answered a question, the next person on the list may ask. Please do not ask questions out of order - your turn will come soon enough!

[HUbison] Fill in the blank, please Scott......With the first pick of the 2008 NFL draft, the Dolphins select.....

[Scott Wright] Jake Long. Has to be. If they go in any other direction it would be a huge mistake. Jake Long makes the most sense in terms of talent, team need, and economics.

[Nick] Scott, when you look at Chris Long, do you see a player that can succeed as a pass rushing right defensive end, or do you think he's probably limited to the left side of the line as he doesn't have that true elite quickness teams crave?

[Scott Wright] At the risk of giving a wishy-washy answer I think he's a little of both. If you are looking for the explosive pass rusher then Vernon Gholston is your guy. If you want someone more well-rounded then Chris Long is probably a better option.

[Scott Wright] Personally, I think Vernon Gholston is just what the doctor ordered for the Rams.

[Bald_81] I keep reading that Chris Long is one of the safest picks in the draft where as Dorsey could be a boom or bust type. However, if both were in the draft last year, Dorsey is still a likely Top 10 pick where as Long might not even be taken in the first round

[Bald_81] Of course, it has to do with the scheme he played in but is he really the safest pick in the draft after erupting in hissenior season?

[Scott Wright] I agree that Chris Long is a very safe pick but I don't think Dorsey is a boom or bust type. The big issue with Dorsey is his ability to stay healthy but despite the leg and knee injuries he didn't miss much action in college, which is important to rememb

[Scott Wright] remember. Ran out of space!

[Broth223] Why has Frank Okam fell down the draft boards so much and would he be a good late round pick for the Rams (If they don't take a DT earlier)??

[Scott Wright] The big thing with Okam, who I happen to like, is he may lack the intangibles to fulfill his vast potential. He isn't nasty, his motor runs hot and cold and he just doesn't have a defensive demeanor. Some have even talked about making him a OT!

[Dominating D] Scott.... Do you think the Rams will draft a safety? If yes then who?

[Scott Wright] I don't think they will and if they do it will be very late.

[draftguru151] Hey Scott just wondering if you got to look at Antwaun Molden again yet and where do you think he ends up going?

[Scott Wright] I did take another look at him and honestly I'm not seeing what all the hype is about. To me he's a workout warrior whose measurables don't match up with his play. With that said I am hearing he could potentially go as high as round two.

[Goldenfleece] How do you think character concerns that have come to light in recent weeks will affect the stock of receivers the Rams might be interested in drafting with their second round pick?

[wo_ot88] Do you think the Rams will actually draft a DB day 1 ?

[Scott Wright] Well, they definitely need a wideout and I think Mario Manningham is a perfect fit for them. They've shown they will overlook character issues with Wroten, Byrd, etc. so why not with Manningham?

[Scott Wright] No, I don't see the Rams taking a DB in the top two rounds wo_ot88.

[Goldenfleece] Ok, thanks, Scott.

[P-L] Scott over on NFLDC you only gave 1 player an "Elite Prospect" grade and that was Darren McFadden. How close were guys like Glenn Dorsey, Jake Long, and Chris Long to getting that grade?

[Scott Wright] Jake Long was the only other guy who was close and he was VERY close. I still wouldn't totally rule out him getting it... The only thing holding me back is the left tackle issue. To me McFadden is #1, Jake is #2 and then there's a big drop-off.

[RedArcher7] How much of a difference is there from cornerback #1, to #10?

[Scott Wright] By the way, based on some phone calls I made today if Jake Long doesn't go #1 he will go to the Rams at #2.

[Scott Wright] Red: Good question. I am of the opinion that cornerback is the strongest position in this draft and I don't think there is as big of a drop-off as some think. If I need a corner I'd be inclined to wait until round two because there are going to be...

[Scott Wright] some good ones available there. Justin King, Patrick Lee, Charles Godfrey, Tracy Porter, Tyvon Branch, etc.

[shanram] What teams do you see as potentially wanting to trade up to the Rams spot at #2?

[Scott Wright] Well, the Saints are the ones eveyone mentions now based on the Adam Schefter report. Honestly though, I don't see there being much of a market. That pick is just too expensive in terms of both trade and contract compensation.

[HUbison] Not a lot of college teams run the scheme, but what 3-4 Nose prospects look good to you?

[Scott Wright] Sedrick Ellis can be a 3-4 in my opinion, although that's not his ideal fit. Ahtyba Rubin may be the top pure 3-4 nose, Red Bryant, and maybe Frank Okam.

[Nick] Scott, you mentioned earlier that you thought Vernon Gholston would be a great fit for what the Rams need. However, some feel that Gholston showed up for big games but disappear in smaller ones, and he may have even taken some plays off. What are your thoughts about Gholston with respect to his consistency and motor?

[Nick] Just a reminder - questions are being asked one at a time straight down the list to the right. Please try and stay in order!

[Scott Wright] Yea, his production did come in bunches at times and that is a concern but he is still the best pure pass rusher in this draft. St. Louis needs to get after the quarterback. Glenn Dorsey won't do that. I think Gholston would be a terror on that turf.

[Bald_81] Regardless of what the Rams do in Round 1, I would prefer to land WR Earl Bennett who I believe can be one of the superstar WRs from this draft in comparison to the others. Would it be a reach to grab him at the top of Round 2 or could he drop to Round 3?

[Scott Wright] I think he'd be a reach at the top of round two. He's more of a late second or early third. With that said I think he's a better prospect than Early Doucet, who is much more hyped. Bennett reminds me a bit of Greg Jennings.

[Broth223] Who are the top 5 kick returners in this draft?

[Scott Wright] By the way (just to pimp a little bit), my blog entry yesterday was all about the Rams so be sure to check that out! NFL Draft Countdown - The Wright Stuff NFL Draft Blog

[Scott Wright] Wow, Top 5... DeSean Jackson is #1. Keep an eye on Dexter Jackson, he is going to go a lot higher than people think based largley on his return skills. Eddie Royal. Those are just off the top of my head.

[CanadianRam!] If the Rams were to take a Safety in the 3rd round, who would be at the top of their list?

[Scott Wright] I take it Rams fans aren't happy with their safeties? Early 3rd round I'd say watch out for Josh Barrett from Arizona St. and Thomas DeCoud from Cal.

[Dominating D] Scott.... In today's league which would you consider harder to fill via free agency or draft a highly productive DT or DE?

[Scott Wright] For a 4-3 scheme Dominating D?

[Dominating D] Any Scheme

[Dominating D] more so for 4-3

[Scott Wright] Well, the hardest position to fill is a 3-4 nose tackle. Otherwise I guess it depends. You can get productive pass rushers (Trent Cole, Elvis Dumervil) but the truly eilte ends are pretty rare. Still I am going to say it's hard to find a stud...

[Scott Wright] defensive tackle these days. There just aren't very many of them any more. Kevin Williams, Tommie Harris, John Henderson... That may be the list in terms of top guys right now.

[draftguru151] What do you think about Ireland's "pillar of the defense" comments? Could all the Jake Long talk be a huge smokescreen of does Ireland deserve an oscar?

[Scott Wright] As a rule of thumb I don't believe anything that comes out of the mouths of NFL personnel this time of the year. Nothing. I will say that if it's legit Ireland is an idiot and he just cost his franchise dearly. However, they are negotiating with Jake...

[Scott Wright] Long so maybe this was put out there to try and get him to lower his contract demands... Just speculation. The problem the Dolphins have is Jake Long isn't going to accept an absurdly below market deal because he knows if he doesn't go #1 to...

[Scott Wright] the Dolphins he won't fall far because the Rams will take him at #2.

[Goldenfleece] Some say Glenn Dorsey is the best defensive tackle prospect to come along in years . The Parcells "Planet Theory" suggests that many athletic humans of that size; the theory suggests you have to take them when they come along. Is he really that a rare...

[Goldenfleece] a specimen? And should that kind of thinking color how teams approach the draft?

[Scott Wright] Glenn Dorsey is very good but I don't think he is "rare". He isn't all that big, he isn't all that fast, etc. He's a terrific all-around DT who can penetrate and play the run but is he a star? I don't think so.

[P-L] A lot of people seem to think that last year's draft class is better than this year's class. Do you share that opinion? And could you quickly give us a few positions that were stronger in the 2007 class and a few that are stronger in this 2008 class?

[Scott Wright] This is a weaker draft class, especially compared to the last couple of years. Specifically where it's lacking is at the top in terms of "elite" talent. With that said there is plenty of talent, it may just be harder to find it this year...

[Scott Wright] I think this QB class is stronger than last year's overall, but last year's DT class was probably a little better overall.

[RedArcher7] There has been a fiaso around the board here about the one sack Jake Long gave up to Vernon Gholston. The wiser of us think it's no big deal and has been blown way out of proportion. Still there are some that think Gholston "manhandled" Jake Long,and...

[RedArcher7] and have even gone as far as to call him "godlike", what's your take on that sack?

[Scott Wright] Don't get too bent out of shape about that one sack. Remember, Jon Ogden always had trouble with Dwight Freeney too! That's just two very talented players going at it and it's hard to fault Long for getting beat once, just like it would be hard to fault

[Scott Wright] Gholston for getting stonewalled by Long.

[evil disco man] Scott, simple question - you have stated here and in your blog that Gholston is a great fit for the Rams - but is his potential enough to pass up on Chris Long? I am one of the few ClanRammers who would take Gholston over Long. If you were GM of the Rams and both were sitting there at #2, who would you take?

[Scott Wright] I would take Gholston. I just think his speed and explosiveness off the edge are exactly what the doctor ordered in St. Louis. Remember, with Long whether you are looking at him as a 4-3 DE or a 3-4 OLB it's a projection because he was a 3-4 DE in colleg

[HUbison] Sorry about that.....Are the two small school Ends, Brian Johnston & Kendall Langford, 3rd/4th rounders or later day 2 picks?

[Scott Wright] I am a HUGE Brian Johnston fan. He may be the next Jared Allen!!! I think the 4th or 5th round is probably just about right for those guys.

[Nick] Coastal Carolina's Jerome Simpson seems to be one of those small school prospects that could really find success at the pro level. He's over 6'1" and displayed impressive athleticism at the combine and his pro day. What do you think about his chances at the next level, and where do you envision him being selected?

[Scott Wright] We have seen small-school wideouts do very well in recent years (Marques Colston, Jacoby Jones, etc.) and Simpson is next. Good athlete, decent speed, great leaper, MASSIVE hands. I think he's a 3rd round pick.

[Bald_81] Erik Ainge has disappeared from draft rumblings and there really hasn't been much on him. I am still a big fan of him and I see alot of Bulger in him (accurate, tall, poise) plus it helps he's getting tutored by Peyton Manning. How high and low can he go?

[Scott Wright] I thought he was underrated going into the Senior Bowl week but he looked terrible in the practices. Threw some of the worst ducks I have ever seen. Granted he did well in the game but he was also given the opportunity to throw more than any...

[Scott Wright] of the other guys as well. I think Ainge could still go as high as the 4th round and he won't fall any further than the 6th. Personally he reminds me a little of Derek Anderson, but with a weaker arm.

[Broth223] I'm going to be a little selfish for a sec Felix Jones or Chris Johnson who is the better RB and why?

[Scott Wright] Felix Jones is the better prospect and player because he isn't just an outside runner like Johnson is.

[Dominating D] Who are the top 3 frontrunners at QB for next years draft?

[Scott Wright] Casey Painter from Purdue, Hunter Cantwell from Louisville and Todd Boeckman from Ohio St. For the juniors watch out for Matthew Stafford from Georgia.

[Goldenfleece] Supposing the Rams do not take a defensive end in the first round, which players in the later rounds do you think would be most likely to compete for a starting spot as in their first year?

[Scott Wright] Let's just say they better get one early... Tommy Blake has the potential to be a real steal if he can get his head on straight. You could get a first round talent in the 6th or 7th. Or he could never play a down in the NFL...

[draftguru151] Where do you think Kevin O'Connell ends up going? A few people have labeled him the next late round QB gem but he seems to be rising a bit. (also can't wait for Stafford to come out <3)

[Scott Wright] I think O'Connell will be a 5th rounder. Real intriguing guy. Four-year starter with all the physical tools. Next to Josh Johnson he may be the best developmental signal caller in this draft.

[P-L] Who's the better draft prospect? DeSean Jackson or Ted Ginn. Also, how significant is the gap between them?

[Scott Wright] I think Jackson is better, albeit not by a wide margin. I think Jackson is going to be a steal for someone. He has that "It" factor and is one of those guys who I have a real good gut feeling about.

[r8rh8rmike] Do you see anyone sweating it out in the Green Room like Brady Quinn did last year?

[Scott Wright] No, but then again I didn't envision the Brady Quinn slide either. Darren McFadden, Matt Ryan or Chris Long will be the last guy in the green room this year and based on my new mock that comes out tomorrow Matt Ryan will be waiting the longest.

[imjohnwayne] Mendenhall or McFadden?

[Scott Wright] McFadden. Although the Stewart / Mendenhall race is nagging on me a bit. That might be a photo finish when I release my final rankings next week.

[RamShady] I really like WR Andre Caldwell and think he is the perfect fit for us considering he's a burner (with size to boot) to open up the secondary and I think we can get him in the 3rd round (not having to use our 2nd rounder on a WR) What do you think?

[Scott Wright] Can't argue, and I think Caldwell would be a good value in round three. I still think Manningham is a PERFECT fit for the Rams / Al Saunders offense though...

[RedArcher7] So Branden Albert has been climbing up peoples draft boards, I've seen him as high up as KC as a tackle and guard. Why is there so much hype for a guy who played guard all but like, 6 plays of his college career, to start at tackle for teams?

[Scott Wright] Well, for most teams Albert would have been a left tackle, it just so happens they had another real good one in Eugene Monroe who was a big-time recruit. He is a guy to watch out for in 2009. I am as high on Albert as everyone else and I think he is...

[Scott Wright] he second best offensive lineman in this class.

[HUbison] Scott, you say you'd take Gholston, but you've got Chris Long at 2 in your mock? And if your new mock (all Clannies go check it out tomorrow at NFL Draft Countdown) differs from that.....what made you change your mind? And thanks again for your insight, Scott!

[Scott Wright] You guys get the first preview of the new mock. Vernon Gholton will indeed be going to the Rams when I release it tomorrow. Basically what changed my mind is some phone calls I made today and the fact that everyone seems to agree that Gholston's...

[Scott Wright] stock is on the upswing.

[Goldenfleece] Hey, thanks for coming out and answering our questions!

[Nick] Wow, great gem to end on! Scott, we greatly appreciate you taking time out tonight, less than two weeks before the draft itself, to give us your insight and opinions! Thanks so much for another great draft chat!

[Scott Wright] Thanks for having me guys!

[RedArcher7] Thanks a lot, Scott.

[Scott Wright] I am off to put the finishing touches on the new mock. Later

[draftguru151] Bye Scott!

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Chat Transcript with NFL Draft Countdown's Scott Wright!

Cheers, Nick, and everybody who helped to set this up and participated. I was at work and am sorry I missd it. Very interesting to read his thoughts on the topics at hand...Vernon Gholston- who knew?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

[Scott Wright] You guys get the first preview of the new mock. Vernon Gholton will indeed be going to the Rams when I release it tomorrow. Basically what changed my mind is some phone calls I made today and the fact that everyone seems to agree that Gholston's...
    Very cool of Scott to give us this sneak peak. Go check out his site to see the full mock.

Oh, and that noise you hear is the dancing in the street of Evil Disco Man and fortuninerhater.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Thanks a ton NICK.

So Gholston and Manningham....ineresting to say the least.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Scott Wright] By the way, based on some phone calls I made today if Jake Long doesn't go #1 he will go to the Rams at #2.
    Yeah, I still think he will go to Miami, but if not we will take him. Even if C. Long is on the board, I will not be shocked.

Gholston's over C. Long I would.

Thanks for the draft chat Nick, Scott and all the clan that asked great questions...
    Last edited by Rambos; -04-18-2008 at 03:15 PM.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Thanks a ton NICK.

So Gholston and Manningham....ineresting to say the least.

I'd take that in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, the Rams haven't returned my phone calls about the draft yet.

thoey is offline Registered User

I still hope it is Chris Long and then Super Mario...
    This space for rent...

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Gholston and Manningham would be the perfect first two rounds for me

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by TheBritishRam View Post
    Gholston and Manningham would be the perfect first two rounds for me
    The funny thing is, in his mock he has Manningham falling to us in the 3rd!

Gholston-Baker-Manningham

I'll take it! That's my dream draft.

:l

-jake-

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by evil disco man View Post
    The funny thing is, in his mock he has Manningham falling to us in the 3rd!

Gholston-Baker-Manningham

I'll take it! That's my dream draft.

:l

-jake-
    Geez, that ain't bad. My own Long/Gholston issues aside......Gholston, Baker, Manningham AIN'T BAD AT ALL!
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I got the impression it was more Jake Long and Manningham with Gholston runner-up...
    [Scott Wright] Jake Long was the only other guy who was close and he was VERY close. I still wouldn't totally rule out him getting it... The only thing holding me back is the left tackle issue. To me McFadden is #1, Jake is #2 and then there's a big drop-off.
    Scott seems to be very high on Jake Long.

Other nuggets I picked up on:

Glenn Dorsey is very good but I don't think he is "rare". He isn't all that big, he isn't all that fast, etc. He's a terrific all-around DT who can penetrate and play the run but is he a star? I don't think so.
    No, but then again I didn't envision the Brady Quinn slide either. Darren McFadden, Matt Ryan or Chris Long will be the last guy in the green room this year and based on my new mock that comes out tomorrow Matt Ryan will be waiting the longest.
    (Italics added for emphasis)

The only thing I would add to Scott's info is that he said Chris Long didn't play in the 4-3 in college, but he did during his breakout senior year. That said, it was great to have him on the site and to get his insight on the draft.
    Last edited by Goldenfleece; -04-22-2008 at 06:48 PM.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Great read. Really appreciate this session w/Wright. Thanks Nick & Clan.

:bash: Jake Long, see you wearing a Phins cap next weekend!

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Couldn't attend either, but enjoyed the read.

My thanks to Scott for his time and to those who set it up.

cheers-

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Hmmm. I think Jake Long goes to the Dolphins. Because if he isn't accepting the Phins' contract, what make us think a contract in STL will be any better? He may demand alot of cash. I think that Miami does end up making the right contract.

But putting Gholston over Chris Long? wow. I didnt see that coming. But I guess it makes sense. Gholston is a little more explosive.

AH I HATE THIS TIME OF YEAR!!!!

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Thanks for arranging this and posting it. Well thought-out answers too - the guy clearly knows what he's talking about. Great material.

I'm gradually warming up to selecting Gholston - Long is still #1 on my board but Gholston is #2 and getting closer. What we need most of all is pass-rushing skills and Gholston could be a fantastic pass-rusher. I'm worried about consistency and I believe Gholston is a more risky pick too - I have a hard time imagining Long as a bust - but Gholston could be. Gholston could either improve his moves and the mental aspect and become a monster or end up not improving those things and relying too much on athleticism which won't be enough to make him a superstar in the NFL alone.

It's a tough choice, I'm still on the Long bandwagon - but it isn't draft time yet. Gholston or Long...Gholston or Long...