Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

ClanRam 2011 NFL Power Rankings: Week 2

Another week of NFL football, and another big shake-up on the ClanRam Power Rankings.

Some big jumps this week as teams either rebound from Week One surprises or build on opening day successes to start a streak. The Houston Texans continue to look strong, taking down the Miami Dolphins this week. A big win over the Jacksonville Jaguars has helped the New York Jets rebound from a bit of a slip.

The Detroit Lions continue to climb up the charts and now find themselves ahead of the Bears on the ranking. It also helped that Chicago lost a game in which they couldn’t keep up with the New Orleans Saints’ scoring output.

Other notable risers include Buffalo, Washington, Denver, and even San Francisco for playing close in a loss.

On the other side of the coin, the Ravens slide after a poor showing against Tennessee, and the Indianapolis Colts continue to fall down the charts after losing to the Cleveland Browns. The Kansas City Chiefs plummeted almost ten spots thanks to the shellacking that the Lions gave them.

As for the Rams, until they show they can minimize mistakes and get some wins under their belt, they’ll keep slipping as well.

WEEK TWO POWER RANKINGS

1. Green Bay Packers (Last Week: 1)
    -The Packers will remain the top team until someone knocks them off, but New England is gaining some speed here.

2. New England Patriots (Last Week: 2)
    -Tom Brady has amassed 940 yards and a quarterback rating of 128 in merely two games. That. Is. SICK.

3. New Orleans Saints (Last Week: 4)
    -The Saints show that their opening loss to Green Bay was a sign of how close they actually are, as they didn’t have much trouble cruising by the Bears.

4. New York Jets (Last Week: 6)
    -The Jets continue a slow crawl up the charts, but this time with a more decisive win than the opening day battle.

5. Houston Texans (Last Week: 8)
    -Houston continues to look impressive and, with the fall of the Colts and little threat from the Titans or Jags, should take the AFC South this year.

6. Philadelphia Eagles (Last Week: 5)
    -A Vick-less Eagles team could be in trouble, though Kafka showed some promise when called upon.

7. Atlanta Falcons (Last Week: 9)
    -The Falcons could use this win over Philadelphia to get them back on track and once again challenging to be among the best in the NFC.

8. Baltimore Ravens (Last Week: 3)
    -This isn’t the second week Baltimore wanted to have, especially riding such an emotional high from their opener.

9. Pittsburgh Steelers (Last Week: 10)
    -Pittsburgh is right back on Baltimore’s trail in the AFC North after completely shutting the Seahawks down.

10. Detroit Lions (Last Week: 12)
    -Detroit is looking like a hot team, having scored 75 points in two weeks. Could this finally be Matthew Stafford’s year?

11. Chicago Bears (Last Week: 7)
    -Matt Forte had more receptions last weekend than the rest of the Bears’ roster combined. Not a good sign, though he is doing wonders for my wife’s fantasy team.

12. Dallas Cowboys (Last Week: 13)
    -A close win against the ***** won’t send you skyrocketing up the ratings, but Dallas has to be happy to get a win for a change.

13. San Diego Chargers (Last Week: 11)
    -There’s no shame in losing to the Patriots, who look like they’re on fire this year. This game was close through most of regulation.

14. Buffalo Bills (Last Week: 18)
    -The Bills are looking like a solid team this year, though to be fair, their competition thus far has been an awful Kansas City team and the Oakland Raiders.

15. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Last Week: 16)
    -A good rebound game for the Buccaneers, who played the Lions close in Week One.

16. Washington Redskins (Last Week: 25)
    -The Redskins? 2-0? I wouldn’t have called that one, but Mike Shanahan seems to have Rex Grossman playing just well enough.

17. Tennessee Titans (Last Week: 24)
    -The Titans weren’t impressing anyone after dropping an early division game to the Jaguars in Week One, but a win over the Ravens is something to be proud of.

18. New York Giants (Last Week: 21)
    -The Giants didn’t look great in their win against the Rams, but they still managed to win. That’s a positive when you get into the middle parts of the rankings.

19. Arizona Cardinals (Last Week: 14)
    -The Cardinals held the lead in this game until a late field goal, so I guess that’s something.

20. Oakland Raiders (Last Week: 20)
    -The Raiders lost, but I don’t have them dropping in the rankings because it was a very close game that really came down to the wire.

21. Denver Broncos (Last Week: 27)
    -Denver probably shouldn’t rise this much for beating up on Cincinnati, but a win is a win.

22. San Francisco ***** (Last Week: 26)
    -The ***** move up four spots for taking a talented Dallas team to overtime before eventually losing.

23. St. Louis Rams (Last Week: 15)
    -Continued sloppy play in games they could be winning has sent the Rams down the rankings. Can they rebound with Baltimore on the horizon?

24. Minnesota Vikings (Last Week: 23)
    -The Vikings are 0-2 to start the season, but it’s not as if they’re getting blown out. They’re still competitive, thanks mostly to Adrian Peterson.

25. Cleveland Browns (Last Week: 30)
    -This wasn’t as impressive a win with Peyton on the sidelines, but the Browns have to feel good about their victory.

26. Carolina Panthers (Last Week: 31)
    -Carolina lost, but put up a fight against the Packers and were even up 13-0 at one point in this game.

27. Indianapolis Colts (Last Week: 17)
    -This team simply does not look good without Peyton behind center. Maybe time to start planning for the future?

28. Cincinnati Bengals (Last Week: 29)
    -Andy Dalton showed up to play, and A.J. Green put up some impressive numbers. The Bengals might not be as big a pushover as once thought.

29. Miami Dolphins (Last Week: 28)
    -The Dolphins made the right choice in making Daniel Thomas the workhorse rather than Reggie Bush, but they still can’t find a win.

30. Jacksonville Jaguars (Last Week: 19)
    -Jacksonville just looks awful. Surely David Garrard could have been of some help to this team until it was Gabbertt time, no?

31. Kansas City Chiefs (Last Week: 22)
    -Speaking of awful, the Chiefs have fallen apart so far this year. Losing Jamal Charles didn’t help, but even in his absence I expected them to be better.

32. Seattle Seahawks (Last Week: 32)
    -Seattle laid a big goose egg against the Steelers. There hasn’t been a worse rushing offense through the first two weeks of football.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: ClanRam 2011 NFL Power Rankings: Week 2

Why not just make all of the chicken little's happy and just put the Rams at 32? It's where they think we are after all.

We should be at 15 like you had us last week, but we killed ourselves. We outplayed the Giants badly and should have won that game. When it starts to click, we'll be right back up there, I know it!
    I believe!

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Interesting but largely meaningless this early,no? If this were a track race, the NFL season has not even run the first bend yet & the stagger of differing quality of opposition makes a lot of teams look farther ahead/behind than they will in a couple of weeks.

so it would be as meaningless that ALL the other power rankings on the NFL? If you have a comment go ahead and make a comment but calling something meaningless is just silly.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamDez View Post
    so it would be as meaningless that ALL the other power rankings on the NFL? If you have a comment go ahead and make a comment but calling something meaningless is just silly.
    After just two weeks, yes, I think all the stats & power rankings mean nothing. It wasn't meant as an insult to Nick or the work he did; his rankings are as sensible as any I've seen.

I really don't give a rat's patootie about the rep system; I don't comment here to get pats on the back, but I think negative rep for that suggests you think I was being dismissive or rude about Nick's opinion & nothing could be further from the truth.