throwback week

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

ClanRam 2011 NFL Power Rankings: Week 8

Weíre at the halfway point in the season, eight weeks in and eight games played for a number of teams (seven with the bye week). How are things stacking up?

WEEK EIGHT POWER RANKINGS

1. Green Bay Packers (7-0; Last Week: 1)
    -The reigning champs remain undefeated and on top of the chart.

2. Pittsburgh Steelers (6-2; Last Week: 4)
    -An impressive win over New England catapults Pittsburgh into the two-spot.

3. Detroit Lions (6-2; Last Week: 7)
    -The Lions rebounded from two close losses to destroy the Denver Tebows.

4. New England Patriots (5-2; Last Week: 3)
    -Losing to a talented Pittsburgh team is nothing to be ashamed of.

5. Houston Texans (5-3; Last Week: 6)
    -The Texans are finding success despite a lack of Mario Williams and Andre Johnson.

6. Atlanta Falcons (4-3; Last Week: 5)
    -Bye week for the Falcons.

7. San Francisco ***** (6-1; Last Week: 9)
    -A comfortable sixth win over Cleveland gives San Fran as many victories as they had all of last year.

8. Baltimore Ravens (5-2; Last Week: 8)
    -The Ravens arenít getting much movement for barely beating Arizona.

9. New Orleans Saints (5-3; Last Week: 2)
    -The Saints did not look like the better team on Sunday, and never controlled the game.

10. Buffalo Bills (5-2; Last Week: 13)
    -Buffalo is having an outstanding year, and made John Beck look silly.

11. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (4-3; Last Week: 11)
    -Bye week.

12. New York Jets (4-3; Last Week: 12)
    -Another bye week.

13. Cincinnati Bengals (5-2; Last Week: 18)
    -The Bengals put up 34 points against the hapless Seahawks.

14. New York Giants (5-2; Last Week: 16)
    -A close victory over winless Miami isnít much to get excited about.

15. Philadelphia Eagles (3-4; Last Week: 19)
    -A beatdown of Dallas has helped the Eagles climb into second place in the East.

16. Chicago Bears (4-3; Last Week: 15)
    -Bye week.

17. San Diego Chargers (4-3; Last Week: 10)
    -The Chargers look lost out there; they basically gave this game away.

18. Kansas City Chiefs (4-3; Last Week: 21)
    -Good for the Chiefs to win four in a row and be in this thing!

19. Oakland Raiders (4-3; Last Week: 17)
    -As NíSync would say, ďBye bye bye!Ē

20. Tennessee Titans (4-3; Last Week: 23)
    -A very comfortable victory over the worst team in football.

21. Dallas Cowboys (3-4; Last Week: 14)
    -What a stinker in primetime.

22. Carolina Panthers (2-6; Last Wee0: 20)
    -Newton continues to impress, despite the loss.

23. Cleveland Browns (3-4; Last Week: 22)
    -McCoy put up solid numbers despite not having a running game to speak of.

24. Minnesota Vikings (2-6; Last Week: 27)
    -Christian Ponder wins the battle of rookie quarterbacks.

25. St. Louis Rams (1-6; Last Week: 31)
    -The Rams finally found the fire that theyíve been missing all season.

26. Jacksonville Jaguars (2-6; Last Week: 24)
    -The Jags werenít blown out, but Blaine Gabbert looked awful in this one.

27. Washington Redskins (3-4; Last Week: 25)
    -I think we can safely say John Beck is not the answer.

28. Denver Broncos (2-5; Last Week: 26)
    -And maybe Tim Tebow isnít, either.

29. Seattle Seahawks (2-5; Last Week: 28)
    -Tarvaris Jackson definitely isnít!

30. Arizona Cardinals (1-6; Last Week: 29)
    -Is the luster coming off of Kevin Kolb as well?

31. Miami Dolphins (0-7; Last Week: 30)
    -The bad part is, Miami would probably kill for even one of the above mentioned quarterbacks.

32. Indianapolis Colts (0-8; Last Week: 33)
    -But itís Indianapolis who is leading the Suck For Luck sweepstakes with another loss last weekend.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Re: ClanRam 2011 NFL Power Rankings: Week 8

Two things about me will NEVER change.

My loyalty and weekly support for Rams
    Rooting for all Whiner opponents

Hate seeing those guy's rated higher then my Rams. BUT.... Stay tuned. I have a feeling here

One Game at a time

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Isnt it nice to get out of that next to last, or dead last position. To be last, out of all the 32 teams, was embarrassing.! Especially starting the year at around the 15-17 range on most poll's.?
    It's important that the Rams start climbing the poll, even if it is slowly. Instead of going backwards. Im hoping the team can improve, to where it is playing to a more consistent level each week.

OldSchoolRamFan is offline Registered User

I don't give much credence to polls, but I'm also never happy to be listed at the bottom and would be very nervous to be listed at the top....the latter, without a doubt, is much better than the former.
    Steve

What you see is what you get, but what you see depends on where you stand.

mark.a is offline Registered User

Um, probably the wrong place to point this out, but you have Detroit (6-2) ranked 3rd and San Francisco (6-1) ranked 7th. You know that San Francisco beat Detroit, and that you have five teams with two or three losses ranked ahead of them, right?

I mean, if you are going to rank SF so much higher than the rest of the division anyway, why not make it realistic?

Quote Originally Posted by mark.a View Post
    Um, probably the wrong place to point this out, but you have Detroit (6-2) ranked 3rd and San Francisco (6-1) ranked 7th. You know that San Francisco beat Detroit, and that you have five teams with two or three losses ranked ahead of them, right?

I mean, if you are going to rank SF so much higher than the rest of the division anyway, why not make it realistic?
    Yes, I'm aware that San Francisco beat Detroit.

Just like I'm aware that, earlier in this season, Baltimore beat Pittsburgh and New Orleans beat Houston. Yet the Ravens aren't rated above the Steelers and the Saints aren't rated above the Texans.

That's the beauty of power rankings and the NFL; Team A holding a head to head win over Team B doesn't necessarily make them the better team. Otherwise the Rams would be above the Saints in this week's list.

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

Just like I'm aware that, earlier in this season, Baltimore beat Pittsburgh and New Orleans beat Houston. Yet the Ravens aren't rated above the Steelers and the Saints aren't rated above the Texans.

That's the beauty of power rankings and the NFL; Team A holding a head to head win over Team B doesn't necessarily make them the better team. Otherwise the Rams would be above the Saints in this week's list.
    Totally Agree, people keep on pointing that out that if team A beats team B it should be ranked higher but if you consider strength of schedule and more importantly, recent form, then it isnt always going to look uniform.

Looking forward to the Rams jumping another couple spots this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Mar Ram View Post
    Totally Agree, people keep on pointing that out that if team A beats team B it should be ranked higher but if you consider strength of schedule and more importantly, recent form, then it isnt always going to look uniform.

Looking forward to the Rams jumping another couple spots this week.
    LOL. Okay. But, again, doesn't SF have a higher strength of schedule than Detroit? As for recent form, hasn't Detroit lost two of their last three, while San Francisco is on a five game winning streak?

Based on overall W-L record, strength of schedule, recent form, consecutive wins, and head-to-heads, I will ask again: why would SF be ranked #7 when Detroit is ranked #3?

Just saying . . .
    Last edited by mark.a; -11-06-2011 at 01:57 PM.

macrammer is offline Registered User

LOL. Okay. But, again, doesn't SF have a higher strength of schedule than Detroit? As for recent form, hasn't Detroit lost two of their last three, while San Francisco is on a five game winning streak?

Based on overall W-L record, strength of schedule, recent form, consecutive wins, and head-to-heads, I will ask again: why would SF be ranked #7 when Detroit is ranked #3?

Just saying . . .
    Hi Nick, i agree SF is ranked incorrectly. On clan rams, we should never have the whiners higher then 32nd. just sayin'.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Just saying . . .
    I haven't seen anything but the "highlights" of the niner's games, so this may be way off, but I doubt that the Lions' have gotten the "benefit of the doubt" officiating that the niners have received pretty much since Joe Montana brought the organization to a "dynasty" in the 80s. Even when they had bad seasons, they had better officiating than most teams. Imagine how much worse they would have been if the officials called more of their TDs back for holding and many other penalties that they were guilty of?

If the niners (as well as the Stealers and Cheatriots) had to play by the same rulebook that their opponents play by, their record would probably be about the same as ours.

gap

Quote Originally Posted by gap View Post
    I haven't seen anything but the "highlights" of the niner's games, so this may be way off, but I doubt that the Lions' have gotten the "benefit of the doubt" officiating that the niners have received pretty much since Joe Montana brought the organization to a "dynasty" in the 80s. Even when they had bad seasons, they had better officiating than most teams. Imagine how much worse they would have been if the officials called more of their TDs back for holding and many other penalties that they were guilty of?

If the niners (as well as the Stealers and Cheatriots) had to play by the same rulebook that their opponents play by, their record would probably be about the same as ours.

gap
    LOL. Wow. Just wow.

Just saying . . .
    While the ***** had a marginally better strength of schedule at the time this ranking was made, the Lions had played more teams with winning records (5) than San Fran had (3). Perhaps it's also worth noting that, prior to the season, Detroit's schedule tied for the third hardest while San Francisco's ranked third easiest. I would also point out that Detroit's point differential was more favorable than San Francisco's, and they had been more efficient in the turnover department as well. So those were some other factors to consider.

Additionally, I'd be remiss if I did not point out that Detroit ranked much higher than San Francisco in the initial power rankings prior to the season, and thus has actually climbed further than the Lions have. San Fran has covered 23 spots in the rakings while Detroit has risen 15 from their pre-season spot. That people had a more favorable 2011 outlook for the Lions than they did the ***** prior to the season was certainly not an outrageous stance to take.

And finally, simply put, I think Detroit is the better team. Maybe you disagree, given your snarky temperament in this thread and what your location may imply about your team loyalty, but talent certainly plays a factor in my power rankings, and I think the Detroit roster has more of it across the board than the *****' roster. But talent considerations are one of the reasons I didn't sink the Eagles like a rock when they got off to a slow start.

Ultimately, they're the opinions of one individual. If you don't like them, you're more than welcome to not pay them much if any attention. Or, one could say, "LOL" and move on.

While the ***** had a marginally better strength of schedule at the time this ranking was made, the Lions had played more teams with winning records (5) than San Fran had (3). Perhaps it's also worth noting that, prior to the season, Detroit's schedule tied for the third hardest while San Francisco's ranked third easiest. I would also point out that Detroit's point differential was more favorable than San Francisco's, and they had been more efficient in the turnover department as well. So those were some other factors to consider.

Additionally, I'd be remiss if I did not point out that Detroit ranked much higher than San Francisco in the initial power rankings prior to the season, and thus has actually climbed further than the Lions have. San Fran has covered 23 spots in the rakings while Detroit has risen 15 from their pre-season spot. That people had a more favorable 2011 outlook for the Lions than they did the ***** prior to the season was certainly not an outrageous stance to take.

And finally, simply put, I think Detroit is the better team. Maybe you disagree, given your snarky temperament in this thread and what your location may imply about your team loyalty, but talent certainly plays a factor in my power rankings, and I think the Detroit roster has more of it across the board than the *****' roster. But talent considerations are one of the reasons I didn't sink the Eagles like a rock when they got off to a slow start.

Ultimately, they're the opinions of one individual. If you don't like them, you're more than welcome to not pay them much if any attention. Or, one could say, "LOL" and move on.
    I understand that this post comes just after a loss, and could be emotionally driven, so I will refrain from taking the attacks personally.

However, the pre-season rankings and pre-season strength of schedule projections do not really mean that much after week 8, don't you think? And a large part of the reason SF was projected to have a lower strength of schedule at the beginning of the season than Detroit had to do with the division in which they each play. SF still has 5 games left to play in their season against divisional opponents.

Either way, isn't the entire purpose of posting these Power Rankings to generate discussion and debate? In fact, isn't that the purpose of these forums? This makes me curious as to why you would admonish someone to "not pay them much if any attention"?

I understand that this post comes just after a loss, and could be emotionally driven, so I will refrain from taking the attacks personally.

However, the pre-season rankings and pre-season strength of schedule projections do not really mean that much after week 8, don't you think? And a large part of the reason SF was projected to have a lower strength of schedule at the beginning of the season than Detroit had to do with the division in which they each play. SF still has 5 games left to play in their season against divisional opponents.

Either way, isn't the entire purpose of posting these Power Rankings to generate discussion and debate? In fact, isn't that the purpose of these forums? This makes me curious as to why you would admonish someone to "not pay them much if any attention"?
    No one is being admonished. My suggestion was that these rankings are simply my opinion, and if you find that opinion to be illogical or unrealistic for whatever reason, then perhaps my power rankings aren't for you.

While debate and feedback is always encouraged, I'm still going to generate the rankings in a manner that I believe is fair, appropriate, and logical, regardless of who or what is disagreed with. A persuasive argument as to why the ***** should be ranked above the Lions may make for a great debate, but it's not something I'm going to think back upon when making the Week 9 power rankings. Rather, I'll be basing those rankings on the Week Nine performances, personnel considerations, efficiency, etc.

Finally, if you're concerned that aspects of the discussion might veer towards personal attack, then help us prevent that by discontinuing the practice of starting your responses with an abbreviation that suggests you're laughing at the opinion of others. That's not exactly the best manner in which to introduce yourself to a new board.

Thank you for the feedback!