Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Final (?) Word on Bradford from a Suh Supporter

Final (?) Word on Bradford from a Suh Supporter
    By Nick
    ClanRam Moderator
    4/23/10

Well, the first round has come and gone, and unless you’ve been living under a rock for the last two months or so, the Rams’ selection of Sam Bradford came as no surprise.

It’s not hard to see why the Rams felt compelled to take Bradford. He has outstanding accuracy and touch, and his ball placement is top notch. Sam seems to make good decisions on the field, though he often is looking to the sideline for the call or adjustment. He has pro-caliber size, especially after bulking up to 236 pounds. His arm is good enough to make the necessary throws without an elongated, elaborate motion.

I’ve said from the beginning that, even though I’d prefer Ndamukong Suh with the first pick, Bradford has a lot of talent for the next level and could be a very good player. The concern I had, and still have, is durability. All the ability and talent in the world do you no good if you’re on the bench injured, and from what I’ve seen, there’s reason to be concerned about how well Bradford will hold up at the next level.

Because of those concerns, my preference was that the Rams draft defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh with the first overall pick, and then try to address their need at quarterback with a later pick. Colt McCoy in the second round sounded fine to me, as he looks to be a good fit in a West Coast offense (which is what the Rams claim to want to run). Bradford advocates argued that you couldn’t be sure McCoy would be there, and they were right because there was no way to be absolutely sure. But the draft is about calculated risk, and my feeling was that McCoy would be there.

Not only was Colt there, but so was Jimmy Clausen.

Yikes. As I was watching from my draft party, glued to the screen as Clausen continued to fall, I had a feeling the discussions tonight would be interesting. Of course, there was no way of knowing that Clausen would fall to the second round, but the fact that both he and McCoy are available probably puts a bit of a bad taste in the mouth of those who wanted Suh. You can’t really blame them. Many wanted McCoy, and as it turned out, they could have had McCoy or Clausen.

The problem is we’re not going to know for a number of years whether a combo of Suh and McCoy or Clausen would have been better for this team than Bradford and whatever the Rams elect to do in the second round. And the truth is, we may never know. Suh, McCoy, and Clausen will enter situations different from the Rams, with different surrounding casts, different coaches, and different schemes. Their success or failure in another town doesn’t prove they’d be a success or failure for the Rams. And if Bradford becomes the next Philip Rivers or Aaron Rodgers, I doubt many will object to whom the Rams passed on to take him.

If you were in the Bradford camp before the draft, then Clausen and McCoy’s availability in the second round likely means nothing to you except that it improves the Rams’ chances of getting a good trade offer on Friday. However, if you were in the Suh camp, then Clausen and McCoy’s availability in the second round likely means that the Rams could have taken Suh and likely found a potential first round quarterback awaiting them in round two.

Maybe that’s disappointing, but the reality of the Rams’ situation is this – they needed a quarterback, and they took the best one available. Bradford is no sure thing, and there are concerns about how he’ll do at the next level. I know because I share those concerns. But there’s a lot to like in the tools he brings to the table – accuracy, touch, mobility, smarts, intangibles. If he can stay healthy (a big if, in my opinion), and if the Rams surround him with talent to help him, then he has the potential to be very good. Will he? Only time will tell, but I think we all hope he does, regardless of what camp we were in 48 hours ago.

Whether or not it’s the choice you would have made, it’s the choice the Rams made. And as a Rams fan, I’m ready to cheer for our new quarterback!

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Re: Final (?) Word on Bradford from a Suh Supporter

I was also in the Suh camp, and like you there's a slightly bitter taste in my mouth about Clausen still being there. But like you said, the draft consists of a series of calculated risks, and it's water under the bridge by this point anyway.

I'm excited about our new QB and if he becomes the QB that we Rams fans hope he does, in a couple years the only question we will have is Ndamukong who?

BM_Face is offline Registered User

I am bitterly disappointed we passed on Suh. I am sick over the questions surrounding Bradford's shoulder, and my anxiety will not fade until Bradford shakes off a big hit. However, I think we made the second best decision we could have, and I cannot wait to see what Bradford can do on the field.

I am also totally stupified by the talking-head analysts. I figured we would take Bradford, heck he was on the top of many, many mocks. Now I am listening to NFL on Sirius and they are saying the Rams were bottom five for first round draft picks.

What the bleep is going on now? I am hearing that we should have got more value from the pick, i.e. we should have traded down for more picks. Arrrrghhhh! The minimum number of teams needed to trade is two. Hello? If another team thought there was value in trading up, they would have.

Do some analysts just hate us?, or is it just typical journalistic laziness? Whatever. GoBradford! GoRams!
    A defeated look of consternation, dissappointment, or even pain. The name derives from the look one often gets when challenged by a large BM.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Good points by all so far. One in particular, Nick's about the players each going into unique situations. I have a gut feeling that this is a fact that will go lost on many a Suh supporter around here, and we'll be stuck analyzing every interception(and there's sure to be a few), turnover or generally bad play Bradford commits, compared to every remotely positive play from Suh. It's unfair to do that, but I can see it coming from a mile away.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

My draft strategy has been the same for a while now. Suh in 1, McCoy in 2. Turns out that strategy would have worked.

Having said that, I hope Bradford is nothing less than the 2nd coming of Kurt Warner. Welcome to St. Louis, Sam. And I am looking forward to the moment in the Detroit game when Sam throws a beautiful spiral for a TD, and Sam looks down in front of him to Suh flat on his back after being pancaked by Brown/Bell/Fraley, whichever one is lined up across from him.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

morgansedge is offline Registered User

Hi guys, first time poster and a Sooner fan. If you have concerns about how durable Sam is I would tell you to look at 4 games.2008 the games to check out are OU vs TCU, OU vs Cinncinati, OU vs Texas and then the national championship game with Florida. TCU had the number 1 rated defense and Sam took a pretty good beating from them. He was sacked 4 times that game but he also stood in the pocket and threw touchdown. Cinncinati defenders hit him late the whole game and if I remember right they only got called once but OU beat them anyway. The thing is he took a beating and they still won both games.

Now lets look at the two games OU lost. Texas had another really good defense. They chased Sam around all day, OU was ahead the whole game until Ryan Renolds our starting middle linebacker and heart of our young denfense blew his knee out. That made it possible for Colt Mccoy to play pitch and catch wilth Jordan Shiply all day. Sam still threw 5 tds that day.
    In the national title game against Florida I feel the only reason we lost is because of play calling in the redzone. I like the up tempo no huddle we run but when you go up tempo I feel when you get in the redzone and are fixing to score don't slow the tempo and that was what Kevin Wilson did. I believe if they would have kept it up tempo and not looked to the side lines we would have scored twice and took Florida out of their rhytm. Oh by the way, we beat NU with Suh 62-28.
    Last edited by morgansedge; -04-23-2010 at 10:36 AM.

BM_Face is offline Registered User

Thank you very much Morgansedge. And welcome.

I am reassured by your insight, and I am also a fan of Bradford's size and general durability. My only questions surround his shoulder, and until we see Sam at full speed and full impact, those questions will linger. Bradford says his shoulder feels stronger than prior to surgery. World-class doctors gave him a thumbs up.

If Bradford is the $50 million man, and our franchise is valued at $750 million, we investing our future on one player. We need depth on our O-line, or a pass-blocking TE/RB, or something to protect our precious. [That being the Mordor precious, not the Precious, based on the novel Push by Sapphire]

As a Husker fan, and fan of the Big XII (Top of the Food Chain!), I have watched Bradford throw the ball all over the field. His awareness is high, and he has some pocket presence. I would still love to see depth on the O-line from somewhere.

Upside here, is that the Rams really have had months and months to prep their boards, and the new format can only increase the benefit of going first in the second round. Our War Room should have a strong handle on prospects and trade scenarios to strengthen our offense and support our new franchise QB.
    A defeated look of consternation, dissappointment, or even pain. The name derives from the look one often gets when challenged by a large BM.

harrydog is offline Registered User

Suh and McCoy was my preference and I really think the Rams would have been a better team both short term and long term by going that route.
    But since Bradford is the pick, I am 100% behind him. I'm even excited about it. The Rams are immediately a better team. I expect Bradford to be starting at some point this season. Let's just hope he proves to be durable.

morgansedge is offline Registered User

Thanks for the welcome. I plan to become a big Rams fan. I to am a Husker fan except when they play my Sooners. I miss the days of King Berry and Dr Tom at Thanksgiving. My question to the Suh/Mccoy fans is this. You do know that both Suh and Mccoy have sustained more injuries than Sam right? Suh has had both knees worked on and Mccoy has hurt his shoulder and neck on a couple of occassions. Think it was 2007 Mccoy took a cheap shot from an TAMU(aka aggie) player.He could barely throw 10 yards for awhile after that one.What I would like to see is if the Rams could get a blocking tight end with good hands, I don't know if its true but I have heard and read that the Rams offensive line should be decent next season as long as they stay healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by morgansedge View Post
    Thanks for the welcome. I plan to become a big Rams fan. I to am a Husker fan except when they play my Sooners. I miss the days of King Berry and Dr Tom at Thanksgiving. My question to the Suh/Mccoy fans is this. You do know that both Suh and Mccoy have sustained more injuries than Sam right? Suh has had both knees worked on and Mccoy has hurt his shoulder and neck on a couple of occassions. Think it was 2007 Mccoy took a cheap shot from an TAMU(aka aggie) player.He could barely throw 10 yards for awhile after that one.What I would like to see is if the Rams could get a blocking tight end with good hands, I don't know if its true but I have heard and read that the Rams offensive line should be decent next season as long as they stay healthy.
    I've looked at the available injury information for all three, and I don't find that to be accurate. But it's really not the point of the thread, and since I don't want this topic to derail, I'll leave it at that.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    But it's really not the point of the thread, and since I don't want this topic to derail, I'll leave it at that.
    I'm not absolutely certain as to what your point is, but if I had to make an educated guess I would say it is the final sentence in your somewhat lengthy post. Too bad you had to preface that one sentence with some sour grapes type rhetoric.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

The FedEx guy said Suh would have been the wrong pick for the Rams. His brothers are Ram's fans and even though they wanted Suh, he said Bradford is the right pick.

From an outsider's viewpoint and as adamant as he was I am finally convinced Bradford is our guy.

As he said, "you can't build a team around a defensive player." In addition, a franchise QB has higher trade value if things don't pan out.

So here is to the FedEx guy, I stand behind my QB and as TO said, "that's my quarterback, sniff, sniff!"
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    I'm not absolutely certain as to what your point is, but if I had to make an educated guess I would say it is the final sentence in your somewhat lengthy post. Too bad you had to preface that one sentence with some sour grapes type rhetoric.

I would think sour grapes type rhetoric would appear quite a bit more negative than what I presented. Being a guy who wanted Suh, I felt my reaction was generally positive in nature.

But as always, I appreciate your input Ferter, even if it comes in the form of a less than cordial jab.

punahou is offline Registered User

Is it the 'right' thing, or as it is coined now days, the politically correct thing to do to support Bradford?

If I lived in St Louis, I would be even more outraged by this pick.

The reason being that WE, the FANS-- ultimatley PAY Spanuolo, Devanney, Bradford, and the Rams themselves by attending games, buying concessions, and buying team accessories (which we can do worldwide I guess).

The Rams have been failing since Vermeil left, they failed under Linewho, and based on last years performance-- they are failing still.

Though I support the team as I chose to favor this team 30+ years ago, I do no have to support bad the poor decisions the team has been making-- of which theres been a cornucopia since last year.

I really do not wan the Rams to stagnate and be door mats for decades.

CanadianRamsFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    Is it the 'right' thing, or as it is coined now days, the politically correct thing to do to support Bradford?

If I lived in St Louis, I would be even more outraged by this pick.

The reason being that WE, the FANS-- ultimatley PAY Spanuolo, Devanney, Bradford, and the Rams themselves by attending games, buying concessions, and buying team accessories (which we can do worldwide I guess).

The Rams have been failing since Vermeil left, they failed under Linewho, and based on last years performance-- they are failing still.

Though I support the team as I chose to favor this team 30+ years ago, I do no have to support bad the poor decisions the team has been making-- of which theres been a cornucopia since last year.

I really do not wan the Rams to stagnate and be door mats for decades.
    Why is Bradford a bad pick? Because you feel that way? Our entire staff feel is worth the number one pick. To say you know better than anyone on in our front office is ridiculous to say the least. But hey, keep up the negativity. You should have some real constructive posts after Bradford throws his for INT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast