Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Re: Random Thoughts from Week Seven

Quote Originally Posted by swatter555 View Post
    Can you post the game log then to back up that assertion?
    I think it would be too big to cut and paste but I'm looking at the play by play drive on the espn website. If you go there and click on the box score and then the play by play drive it breaks it down by quarters.

Please feel free to double check me. I'm not good with math and I'm still wearing my shoes so counting is a bit of a challenge as well.

I also agree that just because it's a pass doesn't mean it isn't conservative.

I just saw too many plays were Bradford could have thrown better, the receivers could have caught better, etc... Shurmur still has a lot of room to grow but I just thought his players let him down today and not the other way around.

sdobbers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    I'd like to know where the Sam Bradford is a very accurate QB stuff comes from.

It must be his college reputation, because I've yet to see him have a complete game where I thought he was very accurate.
    I agree. I mean he's accurate on the little bubble screens, and on the occasional deep pass but I have not really been too impressed with his throws over the middle. Yes I understand he's a rookie, and yes I believe that he is really composed...but no I don't think he's been as accurate as most people say he's been. I've seen a lot of throws that end up too short, or behind the receiver.

All-around, he's played pretty well for a rookie, however he still has ALOT of work to do. The last two games we lost (DET, and TB)...Bradford has not looked good at all. At the end of the day though, this is the least of our problems....

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    First of all: Execellent game summary! you might want to submit this for publication somewhere.

Nick, do you honestly think that this is a deliberate approach to the second half by the coaching staff or is it something in the way of player execution that they have not yet been able to correct?

I appreciate the feedback, Ferter! The answer to your question is that it is probably a bit of both. There were some plays to be made there in the second half of the game, and the Rams just didn't connect.

The first drive of the third quarter ended when Bradford and Robinson were on different pages on a pass down the right side of the field. The drive after that ended with three incomplete passes, the final of which was nearly intercepted. The series after that, the Rams had the ball at midfield and Greco was called for a false start, forcing the Rams into a long yardage situation that they couldn't overcome on three downs. On the following drive, the Rams had a manageable 3rd & 6 that turned into a 3rd & 11 due to another false start.

So yeah, execution and mistakes by the players were definitely at play in terms of the Rams' inability to get on the scoreboard in the second half. But I do feel like some of the creativity and variation that we saw in the first half - the quick slants and curls, the bootleg passes to the tight end, the designed swing passes, to name a few - were missing in the second half of the game. And I suspect that's in part due to a conservative nature of the coaching staff when it comes to offensive philosophy. If this hadn't have happened before in previous games, I'd be less tempted to turn a suspicious eye towards the coaching staff. But the Rams nearly lost the Chargers game because they kind of retreated into a conservative approach in the second half.

Maybe it isn't a conscious or deliberate approach to the gameplan, but it does come across to me as if the offensive coordinator is content just kind of sitting on the lead in the second half, regardless of how big that lead is. I'd like to see them keep the gas on after halftime, but you make a good point that the player execution has to be there as well, and it wasn't today.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctious View Post
    Except that in the 3rd and 4th quarters of this game we threw 4 times on 1st down and rushed 5 times. A majority yes barely... almost every set not even close.
    Quote Originally Posted by swatter555 View Post
    Can you post the game log then to back up that assertion?
    Here are the play by play notes from NFL.com for all first down plays by the Rams in the second half...

(14:52) 39-S.Jackson left end to SL 40 for no gain (58-Q.Black, 51-B.Ruud).
    (7:07) 39-S.Jackson left tackle to SL 18 for 3 yards (90-R.Miller, 91-S.White).
    (5:19) 8-S.Bradford pass incomplete deep left to 11-B.Gibson.
    (15:00) 8-S.Bradford pass short left to 84-D.Alexander to SL 33 for 6 yards (58-Q.Black, 51-B.Ruud).
    (13:58) 39-S.Jackson up the middle to SL 48 for 9 yards (21-S.Piscitelli).
    (12:32) 39-S.Jackson left guard to SL 47 for 2 yards (20-R.Barber).
    (8:30) 8-S.Bradford pass incomplete short right to 11-B.Gibson.
    (7:11) 8-S.Bradford pass short left to 86-M.Hoomanawanui pushed ob at TB 48 for 10 yards (20-R.Barber).
    (6:49) 39-S.Jackson right end pushed ob at TB 47 for 1 yard (51-B.Ruud).
    (:05) (Shotgun) 8-S.Bradford pass short middle to 19-L.Robinson to SL 24 for 2 yards. Lateral to 39-S.Jackson to SL 33 for 9 yards (21-S.Piscitelli).

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Here are the play by play notes from NFL.com for all first down plays by the Rams in the second half...

(14:52) 39-S.Jackson left end to SL 40 for no gain (58-Q.Black, 51-B.Ruud).
    (7:07) 39-S.Jackson left tackle to SL 18 for 3 yards (90-R.Miller, 91-S.White).
    (5:19) 8-S.Bradford pass incomplete deep left to 11-B.Gibson.
    (15:00) 8-S.Bradford pass short left to 84-D.Alexander to SL 33 for 6 yards (58-Q.Black, 51-B.Ruud).
    (13:58) 39-S.Jackson up the middle to SL 48 for 9 yards (21-S.Piscitelli).
    (12:32) 39-S.Jackson left guard to SL 47 for 2 yards (20-R.Barber).
    (8:30) 8-S.Bradford pass incomplete short right to 11-B.Gibson.
    (7:11) 8-S.Bradford pass short left to 86-M.Hoomanawanui pushed ob at TB 48 for 10 yards (20-R.Barber).
    (6:49) 39-S.Jackson right end pushed ob at TB 47 for 1 yard (51-B.Ruud).
    (:05) (Shotgun) 8-S.Bradford pass short middle to 19-L.Robinson to SL 24 for 2 yards. Lateral to 39-S.Jackson to SL 33 for 9 yards (21-S.Piscitelli).
    Thanks Nick. So technically it was 50/50 but I didn't include the last one because it was such a Hail Mary type of a play.

eldfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    I feel the same way, but it is forbidden that anybody say anything bad about the golden child. His accuracy has been mediocre at best ....
    I think it is expected that a first year QB will have some moments. I don't disagree with him missing some throws. I donít know what your answer would be to Bradford he has to play IMO if he hopes to learn. I donít think you bench the guy and put In A.J. Most QBís have the OTA'S to get in rhythm with there receivers, he lost Avery before the season started, they brought in Clayton in the season who had, what a week to work out timing issues. They took Danario Alexander off the practices squad who had four need surgeries. Bash him if you wish but I think he will learn from all of this and the rams will be better for the long haul.
    Last edited by eldfan; -10-24-2010 at 08:54 PM.
    :ramlogo:

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctious View Post
    Except that in the 3rd and 4th quarters of this game we threw 4 times on 1st down and rushed 5 times. A majority yes barely... almost every set not even close.
    I am glad someone counted this, because I felt we should have run a lot more, ESPECIALLY with the ball in the last two possessions. Maybe some would call that too conservative, but we certainly weren't scoring. I was at the game and it was a good show almost all the way. The last four minutes were heartbreaking to say the least. sighhhhh....next year Pittsburgh!
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

thatguy is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    One Major Problem:

Our offensive tackles.

Yes they look good at times, but on a lot of plays, it is very evident, even to those who don't pay attention to the linemen, that Smith and Saffold are lacking in strength and are being bullied backwards right into Bradford, making Bradford have to rush his throws.

Just throwing that out there.
    I think Saffold's problem is being out of position. When he faces faster smaller DE's he has trouble getting both hands on them and they go right by him.

RuffRams is online now Registered User

I don't understand how 56.3% is bad for a rookie? Bradford for a rookie has looked pretty good with accuracy. I do agree with a poster earlier that he puts a little extra zip that an NFL receiver should catch, but we have seen not caught. However I think for a rookie, Bradford has been fairly accurate. I dont understand where this argument of him not being accurate this year came from??? From a 13 out of 26 game?

hawaiianpunch is offline Registered User

I agree with everything nick has to say. Shurmur's conservative play calling is really what i do not agree with this. Who is he Mart Scheotinheimer?

hawaiianpunch is offline Registered User

I really have no Idea why we try to sit on the ball every single half of the game in football. No idea. I wish we would play for the win instead of trying to average 18 points a game. I can't say i always miss mike martz, But in games like these it makes me wonder if we still had him with this talent.

Obviously we have a more respectable O-line than the bears at this point, but the bears have a winning record. We should be in that category in my opinion. When the Iron was hot we didn't strike, and tried to sit on the ball in the whole entire second half. Not even trying to throw passes down the middle, or having Bradford stretch his arm by throwing some dragons down the field. Not trying so put the blame anywhere particular, but shouldn't we be trying to win games? Rather than playing not to lose? Im just saying.

And i can't blame that last drive on the Defense, they were on the field for majority of the game, the offense coordinating just lost its spark and became 1 dimensional in the first half.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

The game was disapointing because of how great the offense was in the first half. It felt like they could do pretty much whatever they wanted to do at certain times in the first half and the playcalling was very unpredictable. The Bucs defense couldn't stop them. This confidence came back to hurt them though by calling the timeouts near the end of the second quarter thinking they would get the ball back and score easily.

Based on their first half offensive performance there is no way I would have thought they would go out and put up no points in the second half even if they went to a more conservative style of offense. People are right that there is a small margin of error in the NFL because if the Rams executed a few plays that they missed on offense in the second half then the outcome definitely could have been different.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12