Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Random Thoughts from Week Three

Rams win, baby!! Weíve been waiting a while for this one, and it came against the toughest opponent thus far this season. This is the kind of statement the team and coaching staff needed to calm fans who were nervous after too disappointing showings in the first two weeks. Letís have a look at how it happened.

-As someone who advocated for Ndamukong Suh, let me take a break from my plate of crow to say this - if you arenít on the Sam Bradwagon, TAKE MY HAND AND GET ON! Sam continues to ooze poise and moxie, no matter what the other team throws at him. It looked like he wasnít on the same page with Daniel Fells on that interception, but he settled down and fought back. There may not have been a more clutch throw in this game than the third down 25-yard bootleg pass right on the money to keep the Ramsí last drive of the game going. Time to order that #8 jersey, boys and girls!

-The running game looked improved today, though much of Jacksonís production came on his long 42-yard run. When Jackson went down with a pulled groin, things were not looking good. But the entire offense seemed to step up in the second half, from the run blocking up front to the back-ups in Darby and Toston. Neither of these guys are going to be confused with studs, but they were good enough today to grind out the clock and make things happen. I like what Darby brings to this team in space, and they proved today that theyíre certainly capable enough to spell Jackson when he needs it.

-Mark Clayton continues to make Billy Devaney look good for making that trade with Baltimore. Claytonís leaping grab in the red zone to take the ball to the one yard line was a thing of beauty, and he took off on a quick screen pass for a huge gain, running by DeAngelo ďIíve Fallen and I Canít Get UpĒ Hall. Amendola was his typical self, tough and dependable with a few nice grabs. Brandon Gibson still looked inconsistent at times but made some catches as well and is a fine replacement for an injured Robinson. Gilyard had a nice first down thanks to second effort on his part. The tight ends on this team arenít world beaters, but they were fairly efficient today. Nice to see Fells get behind coverage in the end zone and grab that first touchdown. Onobun looked fine out there, Darcy Johnsonís most memorable play may have been a false start, so perhaps Fendi moves up the depth chart.

-The offensive line had its ups and downs today. The protection in the first half was not stellar. Bradford was sacked only once on the day, but it seemed like the Redskins were getting into the backfield more than a few times. It looks like things settled down in the second half, though, especially in the running game. There were some huge holes to run through when the Rams needed to run the ball, which is what you want to see. This team was imposing its will down the stretch, how long has it been since we could say that? Ultimately a second look might clarify the picture here, but I thought this was a solid overall effort accentuated by a strong second half. Jason Smith was called for two holding calls in the fourth quarter, have to do better than that!

-Maybe itís something about playing in the Dome, but for the second time, the Rams brought the heat and got some good pressure at home. On more than a few occasions, McNabb had to shift and move in the pocket to avoid Rams defenders, and it affected his ability to throw, most notably on the Redskinsí final drive of the third quarter where McNabb was 0-3 before a punt. Chris Longís contributions to the pass rush arenít showing up on the stat sheet, but he is getting great penetration this season and is relentless. Nice to see new addition Bryan Kehl come on a blitz to force an errant McNabb pass. Against the run though, this unit really needed some work. The Redskins entered the game with the leagueís worst run defense, but had no problems carving up the Rams early. But once St. Louis regained momentum in the second half, their run defense responded and they were swarming to the ball. Have to do it consistently, though.

-Linebacker James Laurinaitis had a great day. I donít know how many stops he was part of in the backfield, but it felt like half a dozen. He made some crucial plays, especially one in pass coverage early in the game to stop a third down completion. The other two linebackers didnít seem to stand out to me today, thatís probably not a good thing. The secondary had its ups and downs. Bartell had solid coverage at times but lost contain on a McNabb bootleg that resulted in a touchdown and got beat by Santana Moss on a go route that was incomplete due to safety help. Bradley Fletcher had a bad pass interference call early in the game but recovered with a great interception. James Butler was around the ball today and had a great return on a fumble recovery, but once again was the safety in coverage on the pass touchdown. Thatís three weeks in a row. Overall though, the Rams held McNabb to only 19 completions and 236 yards. After last weekís 426 yard performance against the Texans, this was a nice job.

-Can Josh Brown make it through a game without either missing a field goal or having one blocked? The protection on his blocked field goal attempt was awful, but it was nice to see him nail the other three attempts. Iím not sure whatís going on with our field goal unit, but Iíd like to see it worked out. I donít think this team is at a point yet where they can leave points on the field. It didnít hurt them today, but it did the last two weeks. Brownie still looks like he has a strong leg on kickoffs though, a couple of them were a few yards deep in the endzone. Returning the ball, Gilyard had a rough moment with the fumble but came back on the next return and was solid. Amendola made a nice run on a punt return up the sideline late in the game.

-From a fanís perspective, the coaching in this game seemed night and day compared to the first two games. The Rams came out with a fast start, the interception seemed to turn the momentum, and they went to the half dejected after not scoring in spite of multiple opportunities from the one yard line. They came out in the second half and lost the lead due to a field goal, but the offense pulled up their bootstraps and marched down the field. The defense kept the pressure on and kept blitzing. The Rams mixed up the playcalling at times and kept the Redskins defense off balance. Gutsy call to go for it on fourth down in the mid-fourth quarter; regardless of the result, I liked the confidence it showed in the team. Even gutsier call to go bootleg on 3rd & 20 to keep that drive alive. I still feel like this team could try to stretch the field some more, but I think on both sides of the ball, they took steps in the right direction from a playcalling and coaching standpoint.

-The Rams are now 1-2 and ahead of the ***** (0-3) in the NFC West hunt. Seattle and Arizona both won today to improve to 2-1 on the year; both teams have an NFC West victory under their belt. The Rams have shown that they are able to come out on top of winnable games, even if they make some mistakes along the way. When Seattle comes to town next week, the Rams are going to be riding high off of a win and ready to get some revenge against a team that has won ten straight in their meetings over the last five years.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HornyRam is offline Registered User

Re: Random Thoughts from Week Three

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    -As someone who advocated for Ndamukong Suh, let me take a break from my plate of crow to say this - if you arenít on the Sam Bradwagon, TAKE MY HAND AND GET ON!
    You might be the last one to get on. Nevertheless, welcome aboard and please feel free to grab anyone while you can, because this wagon is about to get rolling!

BTW great post....you don't leave much more to say

RAMS WIN!

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Rams win, baby!! Weíve been waiting a while for this one, and it came against the toughest opponent thus far this season. This is the kind of statement the team and coaching staff needed to calm fans who were nervous after too disappointing showings in the first two weeks.
    Huge win that has got to be a boost for team morale and confidence. Just what we needed going in to next weeks game against Seattle.

As someone who advocated for Ndamukong Suh, let me take a break from my plate of crow to say this - if you arenít on the Sam Bradwagon, TAKE MY HAND AND GET ON! Sam continues to ooze poise and moxie, no matter what the other team throws at him.
    It's great to see you completely on board the Bradford Express! Is there any doubt that he's a superstar in the making?

Mark Clayton continues to make Billy Devaney look good for making that trade with Baltimore. Claytonís leaping grab in the red zone to take the ball to the one yard line was a thing of beauty, and he took off on a quick screen pass for a huge gain, running by DeAngelo ďIíve Fallen and I Canít Get UpĒ Hall. Amendola was his typical self, tough and dependable with a few nice grabs. Brandon Gibson still looked inconsistent at times but made some catches as well and is a fine replacement for an injured Robinson. Gilyard had a nice first down thanks to second effort on his part.
    Clayton and Amendola prove once again that they were brilliant pickups by Devaney. I was glad to see Gibson get involved, although it was disappointing to see him miss a couple of tough, yet makable grabs. I think with some more PT, he'll become a contributor. It was interesting to see a lot of teammates, both offensive and defensive, and coaches encouraging Gibson. I get the impression that everybody wants to see him succeed. Gilyard, like Gibson will get better with PT.

Maybe itís something about playing in the Dome, but for the second time, the Rams brought the heat and got some good pressure at home
    Speaking of the Dome, the crowd brought the heat as well. Great support for the team today. It was great to hear.

Chris Longís contributions to the pass rush arenít showing up on the stat sheet, but he is getting great penetration this season and is relentless.
    I absolutely love what Long is doing. The sacks will come. He's been oh so close on so many occasions.

Linebacker James Laurinaitis had a great day.
    Doesn't he always? A great presence to build a defense around.

Very nice write-up Nick.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Nice summary. Many positives today, as you stated quite thoroughly. I think the one that stands out the most to me is the job the coaches did today. They took a well deserved beating for some of their decisions in weeks 1 & 2, but came out today and mixed it up. The playcalling wasn't as predictable, they made some gutsy calls and MOST importantly, they made successful halftime adjustments, outscoring Washington 16-3 in the 2nd half. One good performance won't erase all ills, but the team and the coaches stepped up big at a time when they really needed to.

Wonderful job by all in getting that elusive first win.

Keenum is offline Registered User

Perhaps I am most impressed at how the team came out in the 2nd half and was determined not to let this one slip away. Heck of a job.
    Feels good to be back in the win column... now let's make it a habit.

bradwill is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Keenum View Post
    Perhaps I am most impressed at how the team came out in the 2nd half and was determined not to let this one slip away. Heck of a job.
    Feels good to be back in the win column... now let's make it a habit.

Rich86 is offline Registered User

it's just good to see this team has an identity. you can see the improvement this team is surging towards. it was really good to see onobun making plays out there as well as darby and toston.

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

Spot-on write-up. It was absolutely what this fan wanted to see; finally a confluence of coaching & execution for 4 quarters.Far from perfect & seriously aided by some bad Skin gaffes but nobody belittles David's victory because Goliath had a big head, literally & figuratively.

Relieved that Gibson finally caught a pass after those maddening drops. Not enough ketchup in the country to coat all the crow Nick would've Fed-exed my way if he hadn't. I just wish Sam had hit him in the EZ when he got open & had a chance to contribute even more. Sam made them all look good at some point, though. Great to see that big smile on his face greeting the FG unit after they sealed the deal. Well-earned, young man.

Congrats to Fendi & Mardy for their first NFL catches.

I'll have to watch again to figure out who covered Cooley all day. Probably a bunch of guys. Now, that was not something I thought The Rams were capable of & was a huge part of why they won,imo. Unbelievable job.He had about 50 yds & half came on a couple of meaningless plays on the final drive.

On a sobering note, let's hope SJ & OJ are not too badly hurt. Could be a high price to pay for this win.

Bosna-Ram is offline Registered User

This team has graduated from boys to men this Sunday!!!

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

My thoughts:

Bradford did not disappoint. He threw short, he threw long, he rolled out on the bootleg--by their play on the field, you wouldn't have known that Bradford was the rookie and McNabb the 12th year pro.

The bad news is that they let the Redskins back in it at all after going up 14-0 early. The good news is that the Rams retained composure after the Redskins poured on 13 unanswered points in the 2nd quarter and then took a lead early in the 3rd. After that blocked field goal attempt at the end of the first half, the momentum had seemed to shift to the Redskins, but the Rams took it back and won definitively.

Maybe we do have a home field advantage; 3 false starts and a delay of game called on the Redskins. And it at least sounded loud on t.v.

We all wondered what would happen if Steven Jackson were to miss time due to injury. If Darby and Toston hadn't stepped up, this would have been a loss.

The defense had only 1 sack and gave up a lot of yards but really shined on third down (allowing only 1 conversion on 10 attempts) and in red zone stops. Laurinaitis played like a man on fire.

Daniel Fells had a good game, too. He had only 3 catches, but every one of them was important.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    My thoughts:

Bradford did not disappoint. He threw short, he threw long, he rolled out on the bootleg--by their play on the field, you wouldn't have known that Bradford was the rookie and McNabb the 12th year pro.

The bad news is that they let the Redskins back in it at all after going up 14-0 early. The good news is that the Rams retained composure after the Redskins poured on 13 unanswered points in the 2nd quarter and then took a lead early in the 3rd. After that blocked field goal attempt at the end of the first half, the momentum had seemed to shift to the Redskins, but the Rams took it back and won definitively.

Maybe we do have a home field advantage; 3 false starts and a delay of game called on the Redskins. And it at least sounded loud on t.v.

We all wondered what would happen if Steven Jackson were to miss time due to injury. If Darby and Toston hadn't stepped up, this would have been a loss.

The defense had only 1 sack and gave up a lot of yards but really shined on third down (allowing only 1 conversion on 10 attempts) and in red zone stops. Laurinaitis played like a man on fire.

Daniel Fells had a good game, too. He had only 3 catches, but every one of them was important.
    1-10 on 3rd down conversions as GF pointed out! You'll win almost every time doing this. Most of the yards can in the first half. Minus the 60 yards in scrub time at the end, Skins only had 75 yards in the second half, and most of that came on the first deep pass play ...

Total domination by our D in the second half ....

We are giving up, wait for it, wait for it, a mere 16.7 PPG this season!

Trevor is offline Registered User

After reading this, theres still hope!!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Awesome win...I'll admit this game against the Redskins was very important to me and my outloook on our team. I really thought we would have been on the opposite end of that 30-16 score. My thinking was that we had lost 2 close games to lesser opponents and here we go again another dismal season, that would be confirmed by the Redskins laying a beating on us.

INCREDIBLE WIN!!!!!

This win against the Redskins confirms that our team is getting better. The losses against the Cardinals and Raiders, we could have "legitimately" won. Those games weren't flukes, we are better than last season and the 2 seasons before that. I can't put into words are very important this Redskins game was to me. All I can say is "WAY TO GO" RAMS!!!!

Just think our next against the Seattle Seahawks could end another streak. A streak of losing to those bums!

GO RAMS!!!!!!!!!!