Thread: Happy Campers

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Happy Campers

With training camps all over the country up and running, the 2006 season is finally upon us. So my articles, starting here, will focus on the rest of the NFL. We won't discuss the Rams except how the rest of the NFL impacts the Rams. So with that in mind, I will spend a large portion of space discussing the NFC West, then the rest of the NFC, and finally the AFC. I will even test the bounds of my own hypocrisy in this and following weekly articles (more on that later).

And remember, none of us are reporters, we're all just a bunch of columnists. The difference being, a reporter has to report factual information.....the columnist can pull anything he wants out of his hind-quarters and call it "information". So with that in mind, here comes some "information" from my not-so-sunny-side.

Let's start out West:

Seattle Seahawks

When you're the conference champion, you have a lot of weight on your shoulders, specifically 15 other teams that want what you got. When you are the Super Bowl loser, you have the added burden of superstition. We all know what has happened to every Super Bowl loser over the past 6 seasons, they have fallen like a ton of bricks in their defending year. I will go on record, barring a ton of injuries, the Seahawks break that curse. They have all the pieces in place to return and they play in a less than stellar division. They lost their all-world Guard in Steve Hutchinson, but (no offense to those trench dwellers, but) Guards, even pro bowl Guards, can be replaced. That line won't be as good, but they're still good enough to move the sticks. Add to that the extra weapons Hasslebeck has at his disposal, and the offense should still be on the top of the world. The question is can their D hold it together long enough to keep the offense on the field (hmm, where have I heard that before?)

What to watch - Lofa Tatupu. Can he repeat an out-of-nowhere rookie season? He managed triple digit tackles, 4 sacks and 3 picks. He was the middle of a defense that managed to get the job done. When he was drafted in the 2nd round, the Seahawks became the butt of a lot of jokes, but it was the Hawks who had the last laugh. Can Lofa bring that giggle back this year?

Overrated - The addition of Julian Peterson. If Peterson were around a couple of years ago, then I'd see the excitement. However, we're talking about a guy with lower body injury problems whose game is based on his speed

Underrated - Why is Leroy Hill not getting any press? This guy starts the last 11 games at SLB, where he manages 72 tackles and 7.5 sacks as a rookie. He and Tatupu could be the next great 1-2 combo in the world of linebackers.

Arizona Cardinals - Let me see if I remember how this goes.....the Cardinals are, on paper, the most talented team in the West; this is their year to shine. Yea, we've heard it all before, but it's true. On paper, they really are talented. However, the paper that matters, the one with the standings on it says they still suck. Who knows? Is this THE year? I don't think so. I'm seeing another sub-.500 year and a 3rd place finish......I mean, it's the Cardinals, right?

What to watch - How will Edge do behind this line? He went from running behind one of the best lines to one of the worst overnight. Can he still produce with so little protection. The highlight of this line is an overweight guard turned LT who has yet to play up to potential....and it only goes down hill from there. The best member of that line may be a rookie from USC. Folks, that ain't exactly confidence inspiring.

Overrated - Dennis Green. Maybe it's just me, but his return to coaching hasn't sent any shivers down the backs of the NFC. Sure he was a perrenial contender with Minnesota, but they had seasoned talent up there. The only talent he has here is without veteran leadership for the most part. He just can't seem to find the magic formula in the desert.

Underrated - a healthy Kurt Warner. Of course, we've almost forgotten what a healthy Warner looks like.....but if he does manage to stay vertical, he can rip a defense to shreds. Last year, both his completion % and YPA were just a hair lower than his MVP days, and had he been in a full season, he would have finished the season with roughly 17 TDs, and 4300 yards. Not bad for an offense that had absolutely no running game whatsoever.

San Francisco - Are they young and improving? Yes. Are they ready to compete? No. And they won't be until that organization puts the past behind them and stops walking on the crests of 5 tarnished rings. They have little in the way of a running game, a young QB coming off a horrible rookie campaign, and a defense that lost one of its only weapons to free agency.

What to watch - the interior of the OL. Larry Allen, David Baas, Eric Heitman, Jeremy Newberry, Adam Snyder.....there's a ton of talent inside their OL, some old, some young, but talented none the less. Can they open holes for whoever their RB is, and keep either Alex Smith or Trent Dilfer on his feet?

Overrated - Norv Turner's two TE sets. The niners have two respectable talents on their offense, and both of them are TEs. I've heard a lot of talk about how Turner will utilize both TEs during their offense.....the problem is, it will be a first for Turner. He's coached some fine TEs over the years, but they were all surrounded by outstanding WRs and RBs. It's not a good situation when your threats on offense are at each end of your line, and I'm not sure Turner's wide open offense is the square peg for that round hole anyway.

Underrated - Derek Smith. When is he going to get the respect he deserves? This MLB has put together 5 straight triple digit tackle seasons, but nobody ever mentions him when talking about top LBs in the league. Is he a Lewis or Urlacher? No, but he's better than the national media will give him credit for.

You guys know how useless I think "Power Polls" are, right? So just to show you that I can manage my own levels of hypocrisy, here's my mini-power polls. My picks for each division, not one big poll......as Dr. Holiday said "My hypocrisy only goes so far".

NFC West

Seattle
    St. Louis
    Arizona
    San Fran

NFC South

Carolina
    Tampa (WC)
    Atlanta
    New Orleans

NFC North

Chicago
    Detroit
    Minnesota
    Green Bay

NFC East

NY Giants
    Washington (WC)
    Philadelphia
    Dallas

AFC West

Denver
    Kansas City (WC)
    San Diego
    Oakland

AFC South

Indy
    Jacksonville
    Houston
    Tennessee

AFC North

Cincinatti
    Pittsburgh (WC)
    Baltimore
    Cleveland

AFC East

New England
    Miami
    NY Jets
    Buffalo
    Last edited by HUbison; -07-29-2006 at 03:17 PM.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Re: Happy Campers

Nice article. That is interesting about Leroy Hill. He had a surprisingly good rookie year and got no press at all.

...had he [Warner] been in a full season, he would have finished the season with roughly 17 TDs, and 4300 yards. Not bad for an offense that had absolutely no running game whatsoever.
    But weren't those huge passing numbers because they had no running game? I also would note that 17 TDs is awfully low for such a high yardage total, and that projection would seem to emphasize how much he turns the ball over these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece

But weren't those huge passing numbers because they had no running game? I also would note that 17 TDs is awfully low for such a high yardage total, and that projection would seem to emphasize how much he turns the ball over these days.
    A weakness in one aspect of an offense does not create a strength in another. That is to say, it takes more than a lack of running game to maintain a top passing attack. In fact, it's usually just the opposite. If there is no running game, the passing game becomes easier to defend. Sure, there will be more passing attempts, but there will be less success than if a running game were present to support it. The fact that Warner was able to move the ball at all with no running game to speak of, is pretty remarkable.

As for the scoring aspect, that is a separate problem.....they had a pro bowl kicker. If your kicker goes to the pro bowl, then you have a red zone problem. Rackers put up 8 more FGs than any other kicker in the league. That means the Cards couldn't put it in the end zone.....another result of having A) no ground game, and B) no TE in the red zone.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Nice job HUb. I enjoyed the read. I would have put the (WC) beside us and not Tampa, but I'm biased. Heh.
    Quote Originally Posted by RealRam
    What next, NFL gay players kissing on the mouth. To me it is S.O.S.: simply/obscene/sickening. Rest assured I will never cheer for a known homo player

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Nice job HUb. I enjoyed the read. I would have put the (WC) beside us and not Tampa, but I'm biased. Heh.
    Hopefully, I'm wrong. But for what it's worth, I think we're in the running. I think it comes down to Tampa, Wash, and us for the 2 spots, but in the end, I'm just not sure we got the horses to finish the race.

Hoping like everything that I'm wrong.

JackieSlater is offline Registered User

Hub, Nice article, however Hill was simply overawed by Tatupu's performances and numbers, which took the limelight, If Hill was putting these rookie numbers up on any other team, the would be referred to him as is it to Tatupu..kinda like being in the wrong place at the right time as such

Zero Cool is offline Registered User

great article. i enjoyed it. but dallas will finish 1st in the division imo.

gfdasega is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JackieSlater View Post
    Hub, Nice article, however Hill was simply overawed by Tatupu's performances and numbers, which took the limelight, If Hill was putting these rookie numbers up on any other team, the would be referred to him as is it to Tatupu..kinda like being in the wrong place at the right time as such

Yeah, i agree with you, but where is the latest post???????????pirates of the burning sea gold|potbs gold|potbs powerleveling