HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Opponent Analysis: Week 1: Philly Eagles

They're supposed to be the "dream team". Does the hype machine find its way to the ED scoreboard or not? That's the question. Well, let's take a look at a few of the key battles to see what the games within the game might look like.

Rams O-line vs. Eagles D-line:

The Rams have gotten bigger and stronger. The Eagles have gotten smaller and quicker. Their new "Wide 9" pass rush scheme should be interesting to see, but I have to question how that will work with Jackson in front of them, and inexperienced LBs behind them (but we'll get back to that later). The Eagles D-line will be looking to do one thing and that's use speed to get to the QB as quick as possible. With Jenkins & Patterson on the interior, Babin & Cole on the outside, and Parker & Tapp waiting in the wings, they have the pieces to create havoc for Bradford. Bradford will have to trust in his new mean guy bully O-line (okay really it's just the attitude that Dahl has rubbed on everyone else, most notably Smith), the hot reads to the slot and TE, and the threat of S-Jax.

Rams D-line vs. Eagles O-line:

Here's where it gets interesting. The Eagles O-line from left to right --- Peters, Mathis, Kelce, DeVan, Herremans. You've got one Pro Bowl tackle (vastly overrated IMHO) and the rest are rookies or playing in a new position. This lineup has had a few practice snaps together but no game time. Not to be a homer, but the Rams D-line is a weapon, and a powerful weapon at that. Add two more pieces (Bannon & Quinn) to the force that Long/Hall/Robbins already are, and Vick better be ready to move. The Rams D-line will have to be disciplined though. They have to contain Vick, and force him to work in a phone booth.

Bradford vs. Eagles DBs:

What a nightmare......at first glance. Bradford will be looking at no less than 3 shutdown corners this week. Samual, DRC, and Asomugha are no joke. If Bradford tries to force it to the outside, he will be in for a long day. Enter stage left Amendola & Kendricks. Gibson and Sims-Walker may not catch a ball all day, but if Bradford and McD can exploit what should be some positive mismatches on the interior, the threat of those stud corners can be mitigated.

Vick vs. Rams DBs:

This is my least favorite matchup. Our corners were built for those big NFC-W wideouts, not the quick twitchy receivers the Eagles are putting on the field. D-Jax, Maclin, Smith (they say he's gonna play) are very evasive and will be a handful for our physical bump corners. But we also get to see the debut of our new Safety (and former Eagle) Quinton Mykel. Is he a difference maker? I sure hope so.

Jackson vs. the Eagles Front 7:

I love this matchup. The Eagles D-line is built to be an aggressive pass rush unit. I believe their run stopping capability is suspect. Behind them, a very thin and inexperienced LB corp. If the Rams O-line can get to the 2nd level (and I believe they can), S-Jax is gonna have a great day.

McCoy/Brown vs. Rams Front 7:

With the additions of Poppinga, Leber, and Bannon, the Rams run D should be much better. Long, Hall, Robbins, and J-Lau have already shown their abilities. This might be (for me) the most exciting matchup. The good news is the running lanes should be narrowed, and McCoy/Brown will be forced to bounce outside. The bad news is the Eagles do a great job of incorporating their RBs in the pass game, and both McCoy and Brown are quite comfortable as receivers. The Rams Front 7 will have to stay disciplined and stick to their assignments. If they go rogue on any snaps, the Eagles could burn them. If they stay with the playbook, they could shut down what should be a very solid committee of backs.

So there you have it, folks. I don't much care for the "Vick vs. our DBs" matchup. But beyond that, I think we match up quite well. People who have already handed this game to the Eagles, might want to take a closer look.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Opponent Analysis: Week 1: Philly Eagles

Nice analysis. I think you hit the nail on the head. The Rams can't match up to the Eagles skill players and CBs, but if we can win the battles on the interior, this should be a good game.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

The last time I thought we had a legitimate shot at beating the Eagles we got crushed 38-3 @ Philly

So my lips are sealed!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Post game analysis:

1. Eagles better thank whatever god they have in Philly that S-Jax got hurt first thing. Speaking of hurt....

2. ....I don't have time to read the injury report, just give me the healthy report; that will be much shorter.

3. Can they truly be called "receivers" if they refuse to actually receive, that is to catch, ANYTHING?

4. What did I say about our D-line? I said, they would get pressure against the inferior Eagles O-line, but they HAD to contain Vick; not chase him around the field. And what did they do? Beat the inferior Eagles O-line all day long, but did NOT contain Vick at all.

5. Very disappointed in how undisciplined the Defense was today. They were blowing lanes all day, but especially in the 2nd half. That's just losing your head, and absolutely not acceptable.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod