AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Av's "Looking West" (Week 1)

Welcome to the 2011 version of "Looking West." I'll be guiding you through this year's NFC West race, as the Rams try to get back to the playoffs.

Offseason Review

Seattle Seahawks
    Gone is long time starter Matt Hasselbeck. In his place is... Tarvares Jackson? This might not even be the biggest problem in Seattle. Their young offensive line has a lot to prove, and their defense has many holes. Defending their division title will be difficult, to say the least.

St. Louis Rams
    The Rams should get contributions from several newcomers, including new starters at WR, OG, TE, DT, OLB and SS. The season will turn, however, on the development of Sam Bradford in Josh McDaniels' offense. If he can work his magic, the Rams should continue to ascend.

San Francisco Niners
    Another year, another offense for Alex Smith to learn. You almost have to feel bad for the guy. Even more significant may be the loss of several starters on defense. The Niners have not been to the playoffs since 2002. That's not likely to change.

Arizona Cardinals
    The Cardinals are banking on Kevin Kolb to turn around the franchise. While he has Larry Fitzgerald to throw to, does he have a running game to support him with Tim Hightower gone, Beanie Wells underperforming, and Ryan Williams injured?

Week 1 Picks

Rams 24 Eagles 23
    The Rams need to establish a home field advantage, and Philadelphia will provide their first big test. If the Rams can start fast, they could run away with the division in the last half of the season.

Cardinals 20 Panthers 16
    Arizona cannot afford to drop this game against rookie Cam Newton. Unlike the Rams, their schedule favors an early start. If they fail to get wins now, they'll have big problems later.

Niners 17 Seahawks 13
    The first intra-division game will go to the Niners. The Seahawks start in the hole after finishing at the top in 2010.

Projected Standings (Overall/Division)
    San Francisco 1-0 (1-0)
    St. Louis 1-0 (0-0)
    Arizona 1-0 (0-0)

Seattle 0-1 (0-1)

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Re: Av's "Looking West" (Week 1)

I think it is better to get the Eagles now instead of later on.? Im going to be very interested to see if our offense can still be able to play that physical style when the Eagles will be expecting it and the tempo is amped up. In saying that though, the Rams are not a one dimensional team any more, so we do have options now. Philly will not under estimate the Rams, so there will be none of that sneaking up on teams anymore.?
    This is a very good test I feel to gauge our progress. My over riding thought is the Eagles will just come up with more big plays at key moments in this game.This is a game where Mike Hoom..... could be sorely missed. The Rams O must keep our D fresh enough, so to be able to keep the pressure on Vick for 4 quarters.? COME ON RAMS.

Cant disagree with the predictions AV, except for the Ram game.? Although you are a more positive person than me regarding the Rams. Is your heart ruling your head with the Rams scoreline, only time will tell.?

P.S. Do you think the week 2 Giants game, on paper. Will be easier or more difficult than the Eagles test.
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -09-08-2011 at 12:53 AM.

TekeRam is online now Registered User

I think I fully agree with you Av on the predictions. Shehawks look to be desperately going backwards, and the Whiner defense should be able to hold the fort while Alex Smith does just enough to not lose. They start the season at the top of the division and drop from there.

Cards cannot afford to drop either of their 4th place games, especially when this one has a rookie in his first start. Playing at home, the Cards win, and hopefully convincingly because I'm starting the defense in both my fantasy leagues!

And then finally the Rams. While we aren't the best team, we don't have a lot of pure weaknesses. That's the difference between us and the Eagles. They have big weaknesses on their offensive line and in the middle of the defense(DT and LB). We need to contain Vick and let him toss into coverage, and we need to stay heavy with pounding the rock and passing to Kendricks.

As for your question Ground Dog, I'm not sure. I trust the ability of the Giants' line to protect Manning better, but their whole defense is banged up. I expect to see Sam come out blazing next week, but that's for next week.
    I believe!

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

The Eagles are an elite NFL team and the Rams came awfully close to winning the NFC West a year ago. The Rams better get used to serous challenges because its schedule is a Night mare in the first eight weeks , But I also think were going to surprise some folks this year but finding a way to win some of these home games are going be huge for us . After a not so good preseason, perhaps the Eagles come in a little vulnerable.

The Eagles Also have a new offensive line coach and a new identity and philosophy to make up , it's an entirely revamped unit. Our Rams very quietly I might add had an effective defense a year ago and they will surely go all out to get after Michael Vick , who has had his share of injury problems. this game for Coach Spags will be a special game for him.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Don't want to get ahead of myself, but right now the two factors I'd look at for the NYG game are (1) playing in NJ on MNF, and (2) the Giants' injury situation. Let's see how they fare in week 1 and then I'll make my pick.