AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Faulk a Ram Mercenary, Not "Mr. Ram."

When Marshall Faulk went on the PUP list, it allowed Rams fans to put on the back burner the issue of how and when his illustrious tenure with the Rams would end. As the Rams struggled through 2006, with Faulk’s replacement, Steven Jackson, providing one of the few bright spots on the team, Faulk’s status remained a mere afterthought.

Then, of all people, Mike Martz had to bring the issue back to the forefront by stating that he’d love to have Faulk in Detroit next year. Suddenly, Rams fans started expressing their opinions. Let him go… bring him back… ask him to reduce his cap number… let him retire as a Ram…
    The opinions are varied.

One of the flashpoints for this debate is whether the Rams should reward Faulk for the contributions he’s made to the team by letting him decide his own fate, or treat him like any other player and determine his status on the basis of roster and cap considerations. Those in the “let him decide his fate” camp contend that Faulk is a special case who, unlike most players, transcends cap considerations.

Nonsense.

First of all, this is the modern NFL. You don’t win games by being sentimental. You win by maximizing the talent on the roster under the constraints of the salary cap. So, if you can trade otherwise reduce the cap hit of a player like Faulk who, at best, would be a back-up RB, typically that is what you will do.

So does that mean that sentiment has no place in the NFL?

No, I suppose there are players who merit special treatment to an extent. Players who devote an entire career to a team, giving their all through thick and thin. A player who fits the role of “Mr. Ram.” For that guy (Isaac Bruce, for example) maybe you make some accommodations at the end.

But Faulk isn’t that guy. Faulk is a guy who came to the Rams via a trade and had three absolutely fabulous years. Then, as his body broke down, his productivity declined. Despite his incredible knowledge of the game, he has never really been openly distinguished as a true “mentor,” nor has he embraced such a role (has he even attended a Ram game this year?)

He’s not “Mr. Ram.” He’s a mercenary who came and did his job very well for a short period of time. Now that time is over and its time to move on.

Some may not like it, but that is how it is.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -12-19-2006 at 05:16 PM.

blood85 is offline Registered User

Re: Faulk a Ram Mercenary, Not "Mr. Ram."

oh, but what a mercenary....

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm all for keeping Faulk and letting him retire a RAM. I do believe he will be a contributor to our offense next season. Situational back, third down etc..

Having said that, I am very disappointed that Faulk hasn't been on the sidelines at all this season. His leadership skills were sorely missed thus putting the burden on Marc Bulger.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by blood85 View Post
    oh, but what a mercenary....
    Absolutely. He's a Hall of Famer.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Nice post AV; I know I stated in an earlier post that if Marshall were able to contribute he should be brought back as a player coach. But after seeing Jackson get his first Pro-Bowl nomination (deservingly), and the fact that Faulk, as far as I know has not rally been with the team this year, I think it's time to move on. I'm not advocating that Faulk be banished from the organization, but rather should be told by the front office that the team is going to move on rather than wait for him to decide his own fate. If he wants to make a come back, and another team is interested in his services, I say trade him. If he plans on calling it a career, then I think the organization should perhaps see if he would be interested in being a "guest coach" during training camp. Faulk has been a class act throughout his career, and I believe thai organization should at the least have some sort of recognition during a home game next year if he dose decide to pack it in.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey