AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The First Pick: Suh Prize or Surprise?

It is rare that, before the Senior Bowl, Combine and individual workouts, there is a near consensus regarding the first pick in the draft. Even more rare is a scenario in which the overwhelming choice is a non-skill position player. Ironically, one could argue that the last time this occured was in 1996 when Orlando Pace was viewed as the clear-cut choice.

At this point, though, the vast majority of fans, sportswriters and analysts view Nebraska DT Ndamukong Suh as the best player available in the 2010 draft.

Will this change between now and Draft Day?

Personally, I hope not. I think Suh is the clear choice for the Rams. He is the kind of player that is so disruptive that he can elevate an entire defense. He also appears to be a good teammate and leader.

But, make no mistake. The issue will be debated for the next three-plus months. Certainly, no prospect is a sure thing, so those who argue against Suh are entitled to their opinion. That stated, we there are several anti-Suh arguments that can be easily anticipated and countered.

The Limited Offseason Participation Critique
    Don't be shocked if Suh decides (or is advised) not to participate in the Senior Bowl or the Combine drills. After all, he essentially has nowhere to go but down at this point. Some may assert that he should be downgraded for sitting out these tests. I think that's a bit harsh. The NFL is a business, and Suh's best business decision may be to wow the scouts at an individual workout and let the other prospects jockey for position.

The "Surprising" Measurement Critique
    Suh is listed at 300 lbs. What if he weighs in at 290? Suh reportedly can bench press 470 lbs. What if he is outdone on the bench by other DTs? Suh is considered very quick. What if the stopwatch says he's not as quick as we think? The answer... who cares? Suh's on field performance is what matters. Don't forget... this is a guy who lead his team in tackles in the pass happy Big 12 two years in a row - FROM THE DT SPOT!!!

Smokescreens
    When it comes to pre-draft statements from the coaching staff and front office, make sure you have a big grain of salt handy. Its already begun. Kevin Demoff recently was quoted as saying that the gap between Suh and Gerald McCoy is not that great, and could close in the coming months. What should we take from a comment like that? Well, let's see... Demoff's job will be to negotiate a contract with the first choice. Do you think it would help or hurt him to sing Suh's praises for the next three months. I can see it now... SUH'S AGENT: "Well, you said on February 20th that Suh is a 'once in a decade' player, so I guess you should pay him like one." We'll probably know who the choice is before draft day, but that will be because a contract has been signed, not because of a response in an interview.

Its going to be an interesting offseason. There will be days when it might seem that Sam Bradford is the guy. Or maybe Jimmy Clausen. Or Gerald McCoy. Or Dez Bryant. Or maybe it will seem like a trade is in the works.

My hope and expectation is that, when all is said and done, Ndamukong Suh will be wearing spiralhorns.

makersncoke is offline Registered User

Re: The First Pick: Suh Prize or Surprise?

I've never seen a stopwatch or weightbench win a football game. If anyone has any doubt about this guy just watch a replay of the Big 12 title game, not only does this guy have skills he has heart and determination.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A-Web is offline Registered User

What are you talking about makersncoke? The Raiders are COMPLETELY the best team in the NFL today. It's ALL about that 40 time.

Personally, I believe that the combine can be a useful tool in terms of work ethic and to get your measurables (height,weight) and to evaluate things like HOW you would utilize a player. And possibly use things like the WR "Gauntlet" to determine a receivers catching and focus ability. Footwork drills are another thing that would measure to some degree for me, but you can teach footwork (or try to at least).

Suh will come out on top even if he does attend the Combine and doesn't WOW anyone. Because the NFL knows that the performance weighs much more than the stopwatch. But, there's nothing wrong with getting every look at the racehorse before you bet $50,000,000 on it at the racetrack.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by makersncoke View Post
    I've never seen a stopwatch or weightbench win a football game. If anyone has any doubt about this guy just watch a replay of the Big 12 title game, not only does this guy have skills he has heart and determination.
    Devaney feels the same way. He's said he values their college performance, inteviews and medical information, and doesn't give a rat's about the combine workouts. If Suh isn't our pick I will be shocked.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

I dont see how opinion could change that much from now until the draft.

The college season is over for him and how you play on the field is more important, IMO, than how well you perform at the combine.

With a player like Suh i dont think you let the combine sway your decision to much at all. We know that wont happen though so i say pick him up.

rayzorram is offline Registered User

1st pick------nadamukong suh de(nebraska)

2nd pick------jimmy clausen qb (notre dame)

3rd pick------greg romeus de (pitt) or golden tate if he's @:d

sb34rams is offline Registered User

Draft the Boy Named Suh! Rams Nation needs something to be excited about.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rayzorram View Post
    1st pick------nadamukong suh de(nebraska)

2nd pick------jimmy clausen qb (notre dame)

3rd pick------golden tate if he's @:d
    I would literally eat my pants and streak around town naked with blue and gold painted all over my body if we get those first three picks.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Prize of the decade

sb34rams is offline Registered User

Dear Rams,

Just draft Suh! Give him his number and and start producing his jersey for fans to order.

AlexJackson is offline Registered User

Drop down. Take more players in the first three rounds. We need talent. To Cleveland at #7 could possibly give them a number of options. QB, if Clausen is still on the board. OT. DE. RB. Then they'd have two 2nd round picks and probably two thirds, all in the first 10 of the rounds. They could bring a lot of talent to this team. The alternative is draft the "can't miss" stud and pray he don't miss.