AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Grading the Linehan-Era Draft Choices

Rating System:

H (Hit): Player who had met or exceeded expectations, taking into consideration the role he has been asked to play and the point in the draft where he was selected.

W (Work in Progress): Player who has not yet met expectations, but is still developing and could ascend to the level of a “Hit” in the future.

M (Miss): Player who has failed to meet expectations and likely never will.

(1) Tye Hill: Earned playing time right away and quickly became starter. Earned All-Rookie honors in 2006. Has been slowed by injuries in 2007, but is a big part of Rams future. Grade: H

(2) Joe Klopfenstein: Earned starting job as rookie, but did not produce noteworthy results. Has regressed significantly as a second year player, and has a questionable future. Grade: M

(3) Claude Wroten: Did little as a rookie and quickly found himself in doghouse with suspension in second year. Has earned time in DL rotation and had some flashes. Next year will be make or break. Grade: W

(3) Jon Alston: Spent most of rookie year on practice squad and was cut in training camp in 2007. Grade: M

(3) Dominique Byrd: Has had difficulty avoiding off the field trouble, and has produced little on the field. A lot of physical talent, but it is doubtful he’ll ever put it to use. Grade: M

(4) Victor Adeyanju: Limited in ability but gives 100% effort. Good situational run stopper at the DE position and high character. Grade: H

(5) Marques Hagans: Failed to make roster as rookie. Improved in year two, but has yet to find a consistent role with the team. Upswing given him a middle of the road grade, but I would not be surprised to see him cut next preseason. Grade: W

(7) Tim McGarigle: Practice squad for entire rookie year. Has not been able to crack the active roster in year 2. Surpassed by street FA. Grade: M

(7) Mark Setterstrom: Great late day pick had impressive rookie year in which he ultimately made starting lineup. Year 2 cut short by injury. Grade: H

(7) Tony Palmer: Cut in rookie training camp, perhaps prematurely. Made Packers squad as rookie. On injured reserve in 2007. Grade: M

(1) Adam Carriker: Became starter from Day 1 and has been a major part of the improved run defense. Should continue to improve as he becomes more and more comfortable in the DT position. Grade: H

(2) Brian Leonard: Started well and had some good moments in the place of injured Steven Jackson. Has faded into background in recent weeks, and does not seem to fit the mold of a full time FB. Grade: W

(3) Jonathan Wade: Has made progress throughout the season and done an admirable job in the nickel spot since Tye Hill was injured. Has bright future. Grade: H

(4) Dustin Fry: Surprisingly failed to make active roster until injuries decimated the O line. Has yet to demonstrate ability to justify early Day 2 selection. Still some hope, but at this point, a miss. Grade: M

(5) Clifton Ryan: Major steal who should be part of the Rams DT rotation for years to come. Grade: H

(6) Ken Shackleford: Failed to make it out of training camp. Grade: M

(7) Keith Jackson: Showed early promise, then failed to make team: Grade: M

(7) Derrick Stanley: Made practice squad, but has yet to see active duty. Grade: W

Two-Year Total: 6 Hits, 8 Misses, 4 Works in Progress

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Grading the Linehan-Era Draft Choices

Tye Hill: H

Joe Klopfenstein: W

Claude Wroten: W -- well, I hope it is progress!

Dominique Byrd: M

Victor Adeyanju: H

Marques Hagans: W

Tim McGarigle: W

Mark Setterstrom: H

Adam Carriker: H -- bright future / career.

Brian Leonard: H -- needs more opportunities.

Jonathan Wade: W -- nearing 'H' I think.

Dustin Fry: W -- I have hope in him.

Clifton Ryan: H -- as you said, AV, 'major steal'! Bright future / career.

Ken Shackleford: M

K. Jackson: M -- for some ill-founded reason, I never thought he'd make it.

Derrick Stanley: W

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

My take...

(1) Tye Hill: Hit

(2) Joe Klopfenstein: Solid rookie season before being demoted behind McMichael. Showed in his play but he's improved in his blocking in recent weeks. Work in progress, IMO.

(3) Claude Wroten: Work in progress. I'd be much closer to call Wroten a miss than I would Klopfenstein at this point. Wroten, supposedly a first round talent, has half a sack on a season where he was supposed to be a significant part of our D-line rotation.

(3) Jon Alston: Clear miss.

(3) Dominique Byrd: Miss as well.

(4) Victor Adeyanju: Hit, promising role player who is a capable if average starter.

(5) Marques Hagans: Work in progress. Showed some flashes in the Baltimore game and as a return man.

(7) Tim McGarigle: I don't think a 7th rounder being surpassed by an UDFA is much of a slight; there's really not much difference between those types of players. McGarigle is on the 53-man roster though, so for a 7th rounder, I'd consider that enough to earn a Work In Progress.

(7) Mark Setterstrom: Hit.

(7) Tony Palmer: Miss.

(1) Adam Carriker: Definite hit.

(2) Brian Leonard: Work In Progress. Hasn't yet shown himself to be a guy who could replace SJ in the line-up, which was basically the main validation many had for this pick.

(3) Jonathan Wade: Work in Progress. Too early to call him a hit at this point.

(5) Dustin Fry: Fry was a fifth rounder, not a fourth rounder. It is concerning that he hasn't been able to see time with all our injuries, but he hasn't shown me anything to qualify him as a miss just yet. Work In Progress.

(5) Clifton Ryan: Definite hit.

(6) Ken Shackleford: Miss, agreed.

(7) Keith Jackson: Again, miss. Probably not important to keep around with the emergence of Ryan, though.

(7) Derrick Stanley: Work In Progress. Essentially the exact write up you use for Stanley is what I'd use for Fry as well.

That puts my count at five hits, eight WIP's, and five misses. I think that's a solid first two years.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    My take...

(2) Brian Leonard: Work In Progress. Hasn't yet shown himself to be a guy who could replace SJ in the line-up, which was basically the main validation many had for this pick.
    We are clearly in agreement re: BL. Right now, those who criticized him as a potential "tweener" may have a point. Still, there's hope.

(5) Dustin Fry: Fry was a fifth rounder, not a fourth rounder. It is concerning that he hasn't been able to see time with all our injuries, but he hasn't shown me anything to qualify him as a miss just yet. Work In Progress.
    True enough on the round selected. If the O line had been healthy this year, I'd probably call him a Work in Progress. But, with all the injuries, the fact that he could not crack the lineup concerns me. Ultimately, he's right on the line between M and W.

That puts my count at five hits, eight WIP's, and five misses. I think that's a solid first two years.
    I agree that the first 2 years have been solid (meaning good, but not great).

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    (2) Joe Klopfenstein: Earned starting job as rookie, but did not produce noteworthy results. Has regressed significantly as a second year player, and has a questionable future. Grade: M
    I'd say he's still a work in progress. He got bumped down on the depth chart because we brought in one of the best tight ends in the league. His blocking hasn't come along like we wanted it to, but I think it still might be too early to write him off completely.

(4) Victor Adeyanju: Limited in ability but gives 100% effort. Good situational run stopper at the DE position and high character. Grade: H
    I'd also call Adeyanju a work in progress. A defensive end who can't rush the passer is about as useful as a tight end who can't block.

[COLOR=white](7) Tim McGarigle: Practice squad for entire rookie year. Has not been able to crack the active roster in year 2. Surpassed by street FA. Grade: M
    Yet another candidate for "work in progress" status. He was picked near the end of the draft, which would suggest that he'd have more work to be done than other players. The fact that he's still on our practice squad suggests that we still think there's hope for him.

Ram on nos is offline Registered User

2nd rounders in both drafts have hurt this team really. I dont mind lenoard but the fact hes not no 2 rb anymore kind of stings. Klop seems to need a lot of work too and i hurts to know there were play makers to be had instead of what we got. Next draft will be the proof tho.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by fleece
    I'd also call Adeyanju a work in progress. A defensive end who can't rush the passer is about as useful as a tight end who can't block.
    Oh I don't know Fleece. A 4th rounder who has established himself as a run stopper, and has found his way into the starting lineup is certainly more than my expectations. While all these guys can improve on some portion of their game, I'd be closer to calling Vic a HIT based on his draft spot and contribution to date than not.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Ram on nos View Post
    I dont mind lenoard but the fact hes not no 2 rb anymore kind of stings.
    But is that a function of "missing on Leonard" OR the Saints prematurely giving up on Pittman? If it's the latter, then Linehan et al. should receive some credit for snatching him up.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod