AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Have the Rams waited too long to find the next QB?

Since 2008, it has been apparent that the Rams needed to start thinking about their next starting QB. Marc Bulger's numbers have been in decline, and the constant pounding he has received has taken its toll.

During this period, the Rams have held the second pick in the draft twice and, as a result, have had the opportunity to choose from some of the top QBs in recent drafts. The also could have pursued veterans who have been available via trade (Jay Cutler) or free agency (Michael Vick).

Instead, the Rams have largely stood pat at the QB spot. The only additions have been players like Trent Green, Kyle Boller, Bruce Gradkowski, Brock Berlin and Keith Null. None of these players were expected to become the "QB of the future."

With the high draft choices and free agent dollars, the Rams have pursued a "building from the inside-out" appoach, taking interior linemen such as Jason Brown, Jason Smith, Jacob Bell and Chris Long.

So, my question is... was this a mistake?

Let's look at the last two drafts. In 2008, the Rams could have selected Matt Ryan or Joe Flacco with their second pick. Ryan (who was rated as a top 5 pick) had a very good rookie year, but regressed somewhat in his second season. Flacco (who was rated as a mid first rounder) has had similar stats, though his second year was an improvement over his first.

While it is likely that neither QB would have enjoyed the same success in the Rams' offense, either would have provided a long-term option at the QB spot. But is either a "franchise" QB? At this point, I'd say "no." They are both solid starters, but only time will tell if either will elevate to the top tier of QBs.

In 2009, the Rams again had a chance to draft a QB: Mark Sanchez. They passed on him because (1) they needed to draft a long-term LT, and (2) the prospects for a bumper crop of QBs in 2010 appeared to exist. Was this a mistake?

On the surface, it seems like Sanchez had a great rookie year, as his team ended up one step away from the Super Bowl. But a closer look reveals that Sanchez was not the reason for the Jets' success. He had a passer rating of 63 with 12 TDs and 20 Ints. on the season. Again, while he has potential, he is far from a proven commodity, and likely would have struggled even more on a team without the Jets' offensive line.

Now its 2010, and the Rams must again decide whether to take a QB in the first round. Unfortunately, the QB crop did not live up to expectations. Sam Bradford was injured. Tim Tebow revealed himself to be a great college QB, but a highly questionable pro prospect. Colt McCoy's arm stength and durability came into question. Jake Locker decided to stay in school. The only QB who has risen to the ranks of the top prospects is Jimmy Clausen, but he has his flaws too.

In my opinion, the Rams absolutely MUST take a QB in the first three rounds of the draft. The bigger question is when to pull the trigger. Bradford appears to be the only QB who might be worth the first pick. Clausen might be a first round option if the Rams trade down. McCoy would be an option in Round 2. In Round 3, the top choices would appear to be Dan LeFevour, Tony Pike and (my sleeper pick) Levi Brown.

The decision won't be an easy one. The Rams have a lot of holes to fill, and an early round QB is a big investment. But, at this point, the Rams can't afford to wait any longer.

Have they waited too long? I don't think that's necessarily the case. If the O line comes together and the next QB (Bradford, McCoy, LeFevour, Pike, etc.) is able to develop as a result, the inside-out approach may prove to have been the best way to go.

Its not like the Rams passed on Peyton Manning, after all.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -02-19-2010 at 04:29 PM.

rayzorram is offline Registered User

Re: Have the Rams waited too long to find the next QB?

Hey Avenger really appreciated the breakdown analysis of what has transitioned over the last recent years! Iv'e been saying it for months now that I think we should take Clausen after taking Suh! I know that it's a gamble to wait and see if he gets out of the first round but I'm crossing my rams horns that it will unfold that way!! By that way I'm a Trojan fan and was disappointed that we didn't take Mark last year but fully understood the need to pick up Jason Smith first. Here's hoping he comes back strong and healthy for the next season! Thanks for your insight--Rayzorram

Tom_SF is offline Registered User

I think the answer is easy. Draft Suh #1 and take the best QB available after that. For anyone outside the draft, I say anybody but Vick. If they want to lose a 40-year fan, that's how to do it.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Going all in for a franchise QB in the last 2 years with the myriad problems in other areas of the team would have been forced. Marc Bulger had his problems, but most experts thought that with a better line his play would rebound to a good level. The big contract didnt help either.
    I think putting your franchise QB into the mess of the last 2 years would'nt have worked, I dont care how good you are. In regards to what certain critics have stated, anyone can be smart after the event. This mess was started many years ago regarding the team and there drafting. Its not the new regimes fault. YET?
    I think Marshall Faulk is trying to convey a message to the Rams brass in his recent comments.Stop playing everything ultra safe and show some balls, because as of today the Rams are a joke.
    Agree we have to take a QB in this draft, hopefully a franchise one finds its way into Rams Park. The chances are it will be a stopgap type, so I dont wont to see a 1-3 rounder used in that case unless deemed franchise material.

sb34rams is offline Registered User

Suh continues the Rams philosophy of developing from the inside out. The defensive line needs focus over the last few years offensive line. I think Clausen's experience in Notre Dame's offense suits him better for the pro game than Bradford.

Since this year's draft is DT heavy, drafting Suh doesn't have to be the forgone conclusion. The Rams could consider trading down to get a DT and Clausen in the first round.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_SF View Post
    I think the answer is easy. Draft Suh #1 and take the best QB available after that. For anyone outside the draft, I say anybody but Vick. If they want to lose a 40-year fan, that's how to do it.

Hi neighbor,

Totally agree. We are in the same range of fan support for this team, so I've seen most of what you have as well. Take Suh with the #1 pick and then go for the best QB available on your board at the time you're ready to make the pick. You will not know until years down the road whether you've got the "franchise" QB or a good starter, but you cannot immobilize your whole drafting structure to focus on this 1 pick. I have faith in the current staff of FO personnel to evaluate the best talent available.

Go Rams!

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sb34rams View Post
    Suh continues the Rams philosophy of developing from the inside out. The defensive line needs focus over the last few years offensive line. I think Clausen's experience in Notre Dame's offense suits him better for the pro game than Bradford.

Since this year's draft is DT heavy, drafting Suh doesn't have to be the forgone conclusion. The Rams could consider trading down to get a DT and Clausen in the first round.
    I'd agree with this, Suh is the best prospect but we could still get a solid DT further down by trading the number one and try and pick up Clausen or whomever is the best QB on the board. Although we are in long term build mode, Getting Vick does help us win next season, let Clausen sit for a year or 2 .... We get the best of both worlds. .. in my opinion anyway.

Vick made mistakes .. we all do, no-one can take the high road there.
    He's paid the price, his money, served time and been humbled in front of millions of fans. He's 30 , not 40 ... Qb's, even the mobile ones play well into there 30's, they are not like running backs that take a beating 20 - 30 times a game.

I'm not in favour of taking Vick because its Vick, im in Favour of Making this Rams team better.

Springfield Rams is offline Registered User

QB needs to be the last thing management addresses. Gotta build up the lines first. Squeeze every drop left out of Bulger or some other stop-gap option because this team won't be contending for awhile.

tmbkb8 is offline Registered User

You hatin on Brock Berlin?

dave626 is offline Registered User
    Blog Entries

No way to Vick, at first I was ok with him coming aboard, but hes made so many DUMB statements lately about the teams he wants to play for WHILE UNDER CONTRACT with the Eagles.
    He is showing his ( I JUST DONT GET IT attitude again), he should be thanking the Eagles for bringing him back into the league, noone else wanted him at the time,not complaining about the possibly of being a backup again. The guy is a clown and I hope he ends up with T.O. somewhere. That traveling circus will make headlines we will all laugh at.

If we dont draft a QB and try to handle it in FA then I think Quinn is our best cheap hope.Young, unproven, character guy, who in my eye is a more experienced Clausen. Feely can groom, if it doesnt work out we have Suh and will grab a QB next year but atleast we can say we addressed the QB issue, even if it isnt popular, and build up the rest of the team.

All said tho, Bradford is the man and he will be starting 1/2 threw 1rst season and the Rams will know what its like to have a QB again.IMO

ramsaj28 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_SF View Post
    I agree, Mccoy wont be drafted untill the late 2nd round so why not go Suh the Mccoy?

Tiko377 is offline Registered User

i think you gotta take bradford in round 1 and benn or bay bay in round 2.