AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Holt's Postgame Silence Speaks Louder Than His Sideline Words

Torry Holt blew up at Scott Linehan on Thursday night. Captured by the cameras for all to see, its now national news. Among Rams fans, it has provided further confirmation to those who already condemned Linehan's regime, and has impacted, if not totally altered, the mindsets of those who have supported the coach.

Since the game, Linehan has downplayed the incident. According to him, it was an "in the moment," "heat of the battle" outburst that has no lingering effects.

Only, it seems that few observers see it this way. We are now hearing stories of more private expressions of discontent. We are also starting to see a pattern. A complaint here, an eye roll there, an outburst on the sideline... and these are the core players... the team leaders.

The Front Office's reaction? At this point, status quo. Word remains that Linehan will be back. The Rams nation is screaming for a change, but John Shaw does not hear it, or just does not wish to listen.

But through all this talk, one thing speaks louder than all the words.

Torry Holt has yet to comment.

If this was "no big deal," Torry Holt would be the first to put his smiling face before a camera to acknowledge that there is not a problem. He'd be gracious, apologetic, and diplomatic. And he'd do it right away.

Torry Holt has yet to comment.

Perhaps he'll say something later this week, but by then, you can bet it will be damage control dictated either by the team, an agent, or the mere desire to remove himself from this off-the-field spotlight.

But, at this point, Torry Holt has yet to comment.

His silence says it all.

CanadianRamsFan is offline Registered User

Re: Holt's Postgame Silence Speaks Louder Than His Sideline Words

I live in Canada, and haven't been able to watch many Ram games live. (I do watch on NFL.com's live play-by-play though) Watching this game nothing changed, there were no adjustments made and the thing that was working (Jackson) we actually went away from. On top of all this i see Holt, one of the more docile guys in the NFL, yelling at the coach. You and in the fact that Bulger rolls his eyes when he talks it is crystal clear that he has lost the locker room, and this team wont win anything until we have a change in coaching.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Well AV, kudos. I have not yet "fallen" as a Coach Linehan supporter but I got to hand it to you. You've been steadfast for over a couple of months in your call to fire SL; you've cited plenty of factual reasons and you've made your case valiantly. // Now with the latest and certainly eyebrow-raising Holt incident of Thursday night -- with yet another Rams loss -- your SLOP weighs heavier than ever. That I must admit.

Tell you what I shall do: I will sit down with Coach Linehan this weekend and have a serious, square-in-the-eye long converstaion with him about what has transpired in 2007, about what he honestly believes is his place before the team as HC, and most importantly, what we ought to do about 2008 and the immediate impact his stay or leaving would have for the team.

We'll discuss the advantages and benefits of either scenario, i.e.,
    'SL Vs. Other' leadership towards recruiting new players, beginning and ending the season with a relatively healthy workforce (as opposed to this year), et cetera. It shall be a responsible, last opportunity meeting I will have with him on this.

In the meantime, your article reminded me of a song I love from "my era" (see lyrics below). I think it matches the tenor of your writing here as it is adapted to our coach and friend, SL.

Again, my admiration and respect goes to your SLOP ideals and the way you have promoted them as the Rams season unfolded into a dismal and disillusion of an experience this year. I salute you Clan Moderator and Fellow Ram Fan.

:bash:

PS: BTW, to the young Rams of the Clan, this is, IMO, a beautiful melody, especially when compared to some of the R&B, Rap, Pop, Punk, Metallica of today (I like Coldplay). For a full, actual version of 'Silence is Golden', sung with magnificent harmonies by the Tremeloes, see...

a) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcm0nmhlZik
    [sounds very close to their original hit]

b) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py_yT...eature=related [version of 40 years earlier]

SILENCE IS GOLDEN / The Tremeloes, ca. 1968

Oh, don't it hurt deep inside,
    to see someone do something to him.
    Oh, don't it pain to see someone cry,
    oh, especially when someone is him.

Silence is golden, but my eyes still see.
    Silence is golden, golden,
    but my eyes still see.

Talking is cheap, people follow like sheep;
    even though there is nowhere to go.
    How could he tell, he deceived them so well.
    Pity, he'll be the last one to know.

but my eyes still see.

How many times will he fall for their line,
    should I tell him or should I keep cool?
    And if I tried, I know he'd say I lied;
    mind your business, don't hurt him, you fool.

but my eyes still see,
    but my eyes still see,
    but me eyes still see...

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

I'm starting to lean in your direction, for sure AV, but I am of the ilk that there is generally more to whatever decisions are made than what "meets the eye".

As for RR's song, I am of that era also and remember the song and now have it running through my head even without listening to it...lol
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

Drew is offline Registered User

i always thought it was a Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons number....

St.Louis Ram 56 is offline Registered User

I wasn't Happy seeing that on the field, for holt to get in the Coach's face meant nothing but frustration, I think we where all frustrated at this point. Its better that cooler heads will prevail, and Im looking Forward to a Ram victory to finish out the season on an upnote this week, and Look forward to some great prospects for the 2008 season and spring training.

St.Louis Ram 56 is offline Registered User

There was alot of Frustration on the FIELD, Tory Had to be very frustrated to let the coach have it, I think in the longrun, Cooler heads will prevail, and we will finish out the season with a win this week, and Get it going for 2008...Best Wishes

THEFIELDGOAL is offline Registered User

A veteran player does not resort to on camera antics unless provoked. This is a proven superstar who was embarrassed. He had had enough of this coaches play calling. McMichael and Bennett ? Yea that's the real question. No coach in there right mind would degrade a proven reveiver at home and at the retirement party for one of the best running backs. Torry Holt has had it with this coaches inconsistent playcalling and lack of a proven gameplan with all the weapons afforded. This coach has now proven to all of us. That he deserves to be demoted. Holt and Bruce are Super Bowl winners and proven caliber receivers with tougher odds. This coach is second rate in my book. Enough said. Torry will not comment until it's corrected. And for that i applaud his frustration. He has supported this coach since day one, and this is how he gets repaid on this sunday.
    Linehan you better be putting resumes. Cause your days are over!!!!!
    THE FIELD GOAL

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Note that Holt has yet to make a public statement - now for over a week - since the incident.