AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

The Most Important Week 2 Ever?

As we approach the second week of the 2007, there are two prevailing thoughts in my mind.

The first thought is that there is an overwhelming feeling among the Rams Nation that this team is in disarray. The opening week performance was dismal. We’ve lost our starting left tackle. One of our starting guards is fighting an ankle injury. Our superstar running back fumbled twice in the first game. We’ve got a starter and a DL rotation player suspended. We’ve cut our starting FB. Things seem to be spinning out of control. Meanwhile, Coach Linehan continues to speak calmly as if nothing is wrong, which has the unintended effect of causing fans to wonder maybe he's just in deep denial.

The second thought is that this entire thing could turn around on Sunday. A win against San Francisco – particularly if accomplished in convincing fashion – would assuage the turmoil substantially. It would put the Rams right back in the thick of the race, with a key divisional victory under the team’s belt.

Of course, the opposite is true as well. A loss would put this team in a very bad position. Yes, there would still be 14 games to go, but 0-2 with both losses at home and in conference play (one in the division) is a pretty deep hole.

Perhaps my biggest concern is that the extent to which the mood of the fans could be echoed by that of the players. Right now, I think the team is still unified despite the events of the last week. I doubt that the players have lost faith in the coaching staff or vice versa. That said, how many times can the coaching staff be quoted as saying “players missed assignments” before the players start taking offense? Won't guys like Will Witherspoon, Chris Draft and L'Roi Glover start thinking "hey, I've been on a lot of good defenses before - so maybe its you, Haslett!" How many times can coaches say “we could have called a better game” before players start thinking “well, maybe we need someone else calling the plays.” After all, guys like Bulger, Bruce, Holt, Bennett, McMichael and Jackson all know that they are good enough to succeed.

Maybe its just me, but I really feel that this team is teetering on the edge right now.

Win this week, and the storm will subside.

Lose, and… well, I don’t even want to think about it.

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

Re: The Most Important Week 2 Ever?

Very well put AV, if the Rams lose on Sunday they put themselves in a massive hole that would be difficult to get out off. A win on Sunday would change a lot, I know it's early in the season but with the Schedule we have looming it really is a necessity to get a W and with it being a home game and against a divisional rival the urgency for that win increases. I just hope it shows on the performance come game day..

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

Very well put AV, this is a must win game IMO. Yeah I know its early in the year but after Sunday we will have played two home games, with games @Tampa, Dallas, Baltimore and Cincinatti looming. With it being a divisional game the urgency for that W increases and I just hope the intensity is lifted big-time for the challenge of the whiners..

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

Yep, it's a tough position to be in right now for us Rams fans. Only thing we can do is sit back and watch this Sunday. A win and we are back in this thing. The other side of the coin is bad....real bad.

I generally consider a good year (as a football fan) as one that your team is in the playoff hunt until the end of the season. Last year was a great example. We got to watch the whole season with every week knowing that if we won that week, we would increase our odds of getting into the playoffs. Anything better than that is a bonus.

Unfortunately, as Rams fans of many years, we know all too well the feeling of waiting the whole offseason in anticipation only to find that by week 4, your team is in deep trouble and you have to start looking ahead to the next year. (and try to remember what other hobbies you have to keep you busy).

It's make or break this week IMHO. Rams were doing well up until half time, and if not for fumbles, poor play calling, and a defensive meltdown in the second half, looked like they were a good match for the Panthers. No reason not to expect a better performance from Bulger, Olsen, and Jackson. Special Teams looks much improved. Defense, well, did I mention the offense should look better?

Go Rams!

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Very true, I think many feel the same way, I know I do. The next game is very winnable, the Whiners didn't look good in week 1, we have to take care of business at home against a team like that. I believe player for player that we are clearly a better team than the Whiners, playcalling and coaching is what could cost us the game. We are definitely on the edge right now, it's a good opportunity to start turning it around and we *have* to take it.

letsgoramz is offline Registered User

Agreed we gotta put whiners in there place I just love how well you put it win and the storm will subside lose and I done even wanna think about it cause that's exactly the way it is going to be lets all hope for the storm to subside
    Torry Holt Dont play that

THEFIELDGOAL is offline Registered User

Think about now. Your prediction has come true. I could not have written your piece with more reality and horror.
    The 0-2 start is here and now. The players after the game were not even willing to sign autographs and hang out for interviews. These players are no longer receptive this coach and or coaches. I hope it's not the case.
    But all signs lead us to a little drama and a whole lot of questions.
    Lose in Tampa Bay and in Dallas. And this coach will not only get cuss words from his kids, but the whole fan base.
    We have never been more critical of a coach, but some people felt he was a safe hire. And up to now he sure seems that way.
    We can probably call for Marty ball by week 6 or 8.
    He would probably take the job mid season just to show Turner how it's done.
    THE FIELD GOAL