throwback week

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Players' Reaction to Potential Limbaugh Ownership of Rams is Wrong

I am not a Rush Limbaugh fan.

I say that despite the fact that there are times that I agree with his views (maybe half the time).

What I don't like about him is his presentation. He plays fast and loose with the facts. He deliberately offends. His ego is out of control.

Despite all this, I personally could not care less if he became a part owner of the Rams. The reason is that I just don't take the guy seriously. He's just a clown honking his horn for the attention of the crowd. He is, in my opinion, harmless.

Well... almost.

Truth is, the only power Rush Limbaugh (or anyone else of his ilk on either side of the political fence) possesses is that which is given to him by his detractors. You see, a guy like Rush feeds off negative attention. Without it, he'd never have the fame and notoriety he enjoys.

That is why the players have it all wrong. If every player interviewed about Rush's bid to become a part-owner of the Rams responded by saying, "who cares," then this story would not exist. Instead, they are giving Rush and his followers ammunition to make this a HUGE story.

What's worse is that the players are, in a sense, lowering themselves to the level of those they despise. They are using their power to exclude someone because of who he is, how he thinks, and what he says.

Does the end really justify the means here?

In the end, Rush will be happy with the outcome. Either he becomes a part owner, or his exclusion gives him a ratings boost on the radio.

It would have been better just to ignore the issue.

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Re: Players' Reaction to Potential Limbaugh Ownership of Rams is Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I am not a Rush Limbaugh fan.

I say that despite the fact that there are times that I agree with his views (maybe half the time).

What I don't like about him is his presentation. He plays fast and loose with the facts. He deliberately offends. His ego is out of control.

Despite all this, I personally could not care less if he became a part owner of the Rams. The reason is that I just don't take the guy seriously. He's just a clown honking his horn for the attention of the crowd. He is, in my opinion, harmless.

Well... almost.

Truth is, the only power Rush Limbaugh (or anyone else of his ilk on either side of the political fence) possesses is that which is given to him by his detractors. You see, a guy like Rush feeds off negative attention. Without it, he'd never have the fame and notoriety he enjoys.

That is why the players have it all wrong. If every player interviewed about Rush's bid to become a part-owner of the Rams responded by saying, "who cares," then this story would not exist. Instead, they are giving Rush and his followers ammunition to make this a HUGE story.

What's worse is that the players are, in a sense, lowering themselves to the level of those they despise. They are using their power to exclude someone because of who he is, how he thinks, and what he says.

Does the end really justify the means here?

In the end, Rush will be happy with the outcome. Either he becomes a part owner, or his exclusion gives him a ratings boost on the radio.

It would have been better just to ignore the issue.
    Good post and ultimately why i oppose him. I can ignore him like i have said before i have been doing it since i first listened to him. But the point is good players like bart scott have said they wont go to the rams, in my opinion the team would improve with a player like him but because rush owns the team he is suddenly out of the picture. Does he really deserve the negative attention he gets? I dont know, but when he starts scarring off potential talent thats when i cant ignore it any more.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

I just don't want him being an owner because it would be bad for the image of the Rams. I don't want the Rams to be the new Raiders which is what it would seem like if Rush became an owner. It would make the team seem like an even bigger joke than they already are to the rest of the league and not to mention it wouldn't be good if most of the players hated the owner.

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

I agree, AV.

I see Rush as no more racist or divisive as, say, Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson.

Air America radio caters to a select crowd looking for affirmation of their values and/or political leanings as Rush does to his.

Yes, I have listened to Rush in his early days, but he is a bit too bombastic for me. I have also tried to listen to Air America as I prefer to hear both sides of an argument but find them to be more attack minded and less substance than Rush or Glenn Beck.

Michael Vick "deserved" a chance to be part of the NFL, threw it away and then was given another chance. Same might be said for Leonard Little, or any number of the miscreants which make up the NFL. Does it become a lesser of evils, righteous indignation, or simple perception?

What effect could Rush actually have on the mentality of a team or it's players? Most of the players in the league are too egocentric too let any owner have any affect on them.

What ballplayer would refuse to cash a check (even if signed by Rush personally) from the Rams? What player would refuse to play for the Rams simply because they didn't 'care for' Rush? How many play for the money but don't like Al Davis?

It doesn't seem to bother Walter E. Williams enough to not substitute for Rush or James Golden (AKA: Bo Snerdley).

Form what I hear Checkett has been great for the Blues and St. Louis in general that I doubt he would team up with Rush (and who knows how many other investors) in a bid for the Rams if he thought it would be detrimental to the city.

I've rambled too long and it causes me to well, ramble....
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

Tom_SF is offline Registered User

RE: "What's worse is that the players are, in a sense, lowering themselves to the level of those they despise. They are using their power to exclude someone because of who he is, how he thinks, and what he says. "

I think the players and other people like the Al Sharptons and the Jesse Jacksons and others of their ilk are just exposing themselves once again for who they are. Bigots, pure and simple. They just can't disagree with someone without spewing hate.

Now I know Rush is out of the group but I've listened to him for years and he does have a passion for the NFL and he's dead serious about it. If he did get to be part owner, it would have been as a minority owner and he would not have had anything to do with day-to-day operations.