AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The Rams Finally Have A Plan (The Three Year Rule)

One of the things that always bothered me about the Shawgmunt regime was the fact that I never could quite determine what their plan was, or if they even had one. There seemed to be a vague notion of continuing the GSOT for a while, but even that waned as Marshall Faulk retired, Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt aged, and Steven Jackson emerged. Otherwise, it seemed like the Rams were a team that tried to react to its circumstances, rather than operating pursuant to a cogent plan.

The new regime (Devagnuoff?) has only been in control for a short time, but I think I see a fairly clear plan emerging. For lack of a better catch-phrase to describe it, Iíll simply call it the Three Year Rule. The Rule is Ė make moves that can help now, but only if they also are likely to help three years from now.

The moves that the Rams have made, and every move that seems imminent, fit this Rule. Consider:

Signing Jason Brown Ė Brown is just entering his prime, and should be productive over the next three years. The Rams could have signed Matt Birk for less, but heís a player who will likely become less effective over the next three years (if he plays that long).

Signing James Butler Ė Butler is another guy who is entering what should be his prime. He replaces an aging veteran, Corey Chavous, who might not have one year left, much less three.

Re-signing Ron Bartell Ė Locking up a young player who is just emerging as a top-tier performer clearly fits the Rule. Going after players like Dre Bly or Shawn Springs would not have fit.

Letting Orlando Pace/Torry Holt Go Ė Both Pace and Holt could help the team this year, but at what cost. In three years, both will be well past their prime, if not retired. Let them go now, and the team will have more room to bring in younger players, who will be in a position to develop on the field with the veterans gone.

Avoiding Veteran Fill-ins Ė Once the draft is over, the Rams will probably sign some veterans to short term deals to fill the voids on the roster. But that is not the primary tool for building a successful team. Sure, it would have been nice to have Ray Lewis, T.J. Houshmenzadeh, or Tra Thomas for a year or two, but they are not long-term solutions, and would have taken up cap space that could have handicapped the Rams in the future.

I donít see this plan as one that condemns the Rams to short-term failure. The Dolphins and the Falcons made great strides on the backs of young players, and the Rams could do the same. But more important is building a system that is fiscally sound, and long-term oriented. Thatís how the Steelers do things. Thatís how the Patriots do things. Thatís how the Colts do things. Thatís how you sustain success.

Thatís the plan.

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: The Rams Finally Have A Plan (The Three Year Rule)

I totally agree with your post. These are the best three signings we have made in years. Finally some directionÖ.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

I love it when a plan comes together.

A-Web is offline Registered User

I would agree that it seems to be somewhat operating that way. Although to be honest, Ray Lewis wasn't ever on my "Maybe I want him" list. Not that there is any offense to what he is capable of, but I honestly think that at this point in his career, 75% of his ability is just plain motivation and keeping the entire defense pumped. That aside, it does appear that the office is working on a "mid-term" solution.

As you said in regards to the 3 - year - rule. It isn't a quick

A-Web is offline Registered User

It would appear that your three year rule, or "mid-term plan" as opposed to the short term fixes that get you some wins for a year or two and then you go, "Now what?" As well as avoiding the Long term fixes that say, "We are strictly going to go with the draft, and get developing players that will hopefully bring us wins in another 4-5 years. I think where the Office sems to be going is as you said. It appears that they are using an intelligent approach that utilizes all aspects of obtaining talent, without acquiring aging veterans or overpriced superstars that might or might not produce under the current conditions.

But under such a plan, if the coaching can pull through, and work with the entire team during training camp, and get the playbooks out to the guys and get everybody on the same page (preferably just through the whole book though) than I think that even if you went into the season with a relatively young group, you could find some success. Alot of success hinges on motivation, and young talent that hasn't been beat down and depressed from failure is always easier to get motivated and convince that there is a change in the atmosphere.

So I think, going into this next season, we are going to see an offensive line that gets bolstered up at Left Tackle since we have now released Pace, which is seeming to point towards Jason Smith or Eugene Monroe at this point. Either would help out on the line, and probably be a secure pick that could start from day one for 8-10 years with the Rams if they chose. Adding to that the acquisition of Jason Brown, and bringing in Mike Karney to run as well as block for Jackson and our backfield is a major step in improving the protection in the backfield.

To wrap things up, aside from picking up the Tackle, something that would make me a very happy person would be if Brandon Pettigrew drops to the second round of the draft and we pick him up.

For those of you who might read this and possibly not know who Brandon Pettigrew is, BP is a Tight End out of Oklahoma State, who has excellent receiving and blocking skills. In the combine, he was in the top end of the TE in Bench Press, Vertical Jump, and Broad Jump, and 20-yard shuttle. He is physical, and he gave Oklahoma State a powerful weapon on offense, both in the air, and on the ground as a blocker. I would love to have him on our team, and from what I've seen, more often than not, he just happens to not come off the board in the first round, which would put him into pick #33-36 territory, and we could in theory land him at that point.

Just saying, when you have a weapon at TE, it forces more honesty out of the secondary, and helps you run to the outside.

THEFIELDGOAL is offline Registered User

Not a bad idea. I think the approach is a lot better than the Linehan era. Steve Spag is gearing for a long term rehaul and in the long run will help establish his way of playing football. He seems to want to set up his system with youth orientation. It makes seem more teaching friendly than the dealing with veterans and or other cap concerns.
    We will see the 3 year rule begin in april.
    THE FIELD GOAL

hawaiianpunch is offline Registered User

Avenger you right some kick butt articles, and are totally realistic with them you are awesome.