AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Tabling SLOP (The role of the Loyal Opposition in Wartime)

In democratic societies, there is a tradition of loyal opposition. Indeed, the notion of a party that opposes the majority view, but shares its undying support for the collective, is essential to the vitality of democratic system.

These principles likewise apply to the Clan. We all share the same desire: to see the Rams succeed. We differ in the approach that should be taken and, consequently, opposing viewpoints are often expressed. At times, these viewpoints result in the formation of factions that battle each other fiercely.

One such faction is the Scott Linehan Opposition Party (SLOP) that I recently established in the wake of the recent five game losing streak caused, to an extent that may be debated, by poor coaching. If nothing else, SLOP has served as a catalyst for Clan members to evaluate and express their feelings about the state of the team.

And so, SLOP, in my opinion, has served a purpose consistent with the tradition of loyal opposition. But now, I find myself considering a related concept: the role of the loyal optimist in wartime. As the old saying goes, nothing unites like a common enemy. And so it is with opposition parties in wartime. When a foe presents itself and must be dealt with, internal debates must be put aside so that the singular goal can be achieved.

Applying this principle, I believe SLOP’s agenda should be tabled – for the time being. The Rams are, metaphorically speaking, “at war.” The season is not over, and “battles” remain to be fought. Consequently, now is the time for a united front. Opposition can come later.

My feelings about Scott Linehan’s performance as a coach have not changed. He still needs to show me that he belongs in the lofty position he now holds. But for now, I will simply be a Rams fan. I will, as always, back the team and try to maintain optimism.

When the season ends, the time may come for SLOP to once again rise to the forefront. In a time of peace, loyal opposition can and should be vocal. And if need be, it will.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Tabling SLOP (The role of the Loyal Opposition in Wartime)

The war is over. We lost.