AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Trying to Decipher the Rams' Draft Board

The math is really quite simple.

The Rams have the second pick in the draft. Therefore, barring a trade down, they need only have a two player draft board for the first round. It should be simple to figure out who those two players are, right?

Not so much.

At this point, a month away from draft day, I am confident, though not certain, of two things.

First, I believe the Rams have narrowed their choice down to four players: Chris Long, Jake Long, Glenn Dorsey and Vernon Gholston. I'm not buying that the Rams are serious about Darren McFadden, nor do I think that Sedrick Ellis can leap-frog any of the "Big 4."

Second, I believe that Chris Long is at the top of the Rams' board, and will likely remain there up to draft day. He simply makes the most sense; productive in college, great pedigree, great measurables, versitile, high character and... oh, by the way... fills the Rams' biggest need.

The problem is, Chris Long is almost certainly on the Dolphins' current short list for the first pick, so there is no reason to presume that he will absolutely be available to the Rams.

No problem... all we have to do then is figure out who #2 is. Easier said than done. Each of the remaining members of the "Big 4" has arguments in his favor.

Jake Long is, perhaps, the safest choice. He's a guy who is ready to play, and should be a quality starter for many years. But is he really worth the second pick?

Glenn Dorsey is possibly the best player in the draft. Unfortunately, he has that injury history and does not fill one of the Rams' top needs.

Vernon Gholston is the kind of player who will put fear into opposing offensive coordinators and OTs. Some say he's one dimentional, though, and question his consistency.

If the Rams know who their #2 guy is now, they certainly have not revealed their intentions. Commentators will speculate for the next 30 days, but it will likely remain guesswork until draft day.

In the end, the Rams stand to get a very good, if not great, player in the first round of the draft. In my mind, DE (pass rusher) is such a pressing need that the top 2 have to be C.Long and Gholston.

We'll have to see if the Rams agree.

RealRam is online now Registered User

Re: Trying to Decipher the Rams' Draft Board

In the end, the Rams stand to get a very good, if not great, player in the first round of the draft. In my mind, DE (pass rusher) is such a pressing need that the top 2 have to be C.Long and Gholston.

We'll have to see if the Rams agree.
    -- AvengerRam

Well, I certainly agree!

And I believe the Rams will too. Good analysis (and arithmetic) of your 'Big 4', AV. My own gut feeling is that the planets will indeed be aligned -- and all other factors included as well -- in such a way that the Dolphins will not pick C. Long.

:l That the Rams go Long with Chris!

He simply makes the most sense; productive in college, great pedigree, great measurables, versatile, high character and...oh, by the way ... fills the Rams' biggest need. -- AV

Rambi is offline Registered User

The FO doesn't need to keep their intentions hidden for their number 2 pick. It's not like anyone is going to be able to stop them, except the doll-fins.

Any idea about the fins draft thoughts? They have a lot of holes on that team.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

I hope your right ! Rams biggest weakness is DE ! ! ! I hope the rams draft 2 DE's in Draft .

RealRam is online now Registered User

No replies allowed?

mnoonan@dmi-llc.com is offline Registered User

While I really like the analysis, I feel that the O-line remains the biggest concern for this team. So, with that being the case, I would LOVE to see Jake Long wear that big #1 jersey on draft day for the Rams. That being said, all of your 'big 4' are solid choices.

Ahmedrams81 is offline Registered User

IMO I say we take Gholston. Honestly, I think Chris Long will be the better player in the future, but we need a pass rushing Linebacker becuase our secondary isn't too good. I believe we can be a dominant team in the next 3 or 4 years.

LinkBacks (?)

1. -03-29-2008, 12:03 PM
  2. -03-27-2008, 07:29 AM