UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Character Building

After my soccer team has a big loss, where many goals have been scored upon us, and our offense is sadly out of sync and they canít even move the ball around the field, I have heard some say that we played a character building game. Character, strength, resolve, unity are all earned in the bad times, not in the gloriously happy winning moments. Losing is part of the game and losing badly can build character. Losing three in a row has to be building a lot of character in our Rams this year. Will the coaching staff develop character? Will the players develop character? These are good questions.

We have seen Steven Jackson carrying the ball casually and fumbling, we have seen missed field goals by our normally dependable kicker, we have seen multiple interceptions and poorly thrown passes by Marc Bulger who pretty much never throws the ball incorrectly, and a slew of dropped balls and mishandles on the offense by many of our elite receiving crew. The offense is stalling, stuttering, and making mistakes. The play calling is horrid. So many balls are being thrown sidewise instead of down the field. Plays are predictable and the defenses are picking them apart. The red zone is unknown territory to the Rams.

Tis sad for those that are still living in the greatest show on turf days. 3 points, just three points were scored yesterday against the Bucs.

That is truly amazing for an offense that I thought was loaded with talent. Maybe I am wrong and I believed in them when they are undeserving. Maybe Bulger has lost his touch, maybe Jackson canít find holes or make holes anymore, maybe Holt will never recover, and Dante Hall is washed up. I thought Linehan learned his lesson last year, but it seems the coaching and play calling have slid back into an extremely conservative manner that thinks in a small way and will never win games. Yes, there is danger in speed and cracking the throttle open means risk, but to be competitive, you must open it up. The Rams need to open up the offense, get creative, and look way downfield. The dink dunk approach is costing us a lot of effort with no reward and Bulger is throwing so softly with these short passes that he is losing his accuracy. Playing conservatively has not given us any wins. It is time to throw the conservative play calling out.

I am preparing myself for a character building weekend, this weekend, since I made plans and bought tickets to fly to Dallas. I am visiting my little brother and he managed to get 12 tickets to the game. I am going to be surrounded by freaking insane Cowboy fans who are hungry and excited to watch a blowout in their stadium against a pathetic 0-3 team that has only managed to score 32 points in three games.

My hope is that the Rams move on quickly and discard the Bucs game. It is over, it is done, and I am not certain there is much to be gained from analyzing it. The defense held for most of the game and that was nice to see, special teams did their part, but the offense and play calling have to come together very quickly if this season is going to mean anything to the team.

Iíll leave you with a quote from my motorcycle message board from a cowboy fan. ďThat was a great win. They took it slow in the first half, then had the Bears figured out in the 2nd half. 3-0, with the Rams and Bills up next, could be 5-0 before the Patriots come to Dallas. Marion Barber is a beast!Ē

Letís hope our coaching staff is up for making adjustments and the offense is ready to go. The Cowboys have scored 116 points in three games. They are 3-0. The Rams have scored 32 points in three games and they are 0-3. I am preparing for some more character building; however, I would be open to an upset game in a hostile environment.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Re: Character Building

Nice article Blitz.

I keep thinking there's going to be one hell of a story this season. I hope beyond hope that it's going to start this weekend, but like you I'm preparing for the worst I would guess.

0-4 isn't a good place to be and I won't enjoy it any should we arrive there, but I keep thinking that there has to be a beginning to the resurgence and it might as well be on Sunday.

Thanks Fat Pang....I am not looking forward to 0-4 either but it may happen and I am going to get to experience it first hand. There will be no turning off the tv for me and I am going to be surrounded by those fans all weekend long.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

fearlessone is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz View Post
    After my soccer team has a big loss, where many goals have been scored upon us, and our offense is sadly out of sync and they canít even move the ball around the field, I have heard some say that we played a character building game. Character, strength, resolve, unity are all earned in the bad times, not in the gloriously happy winning moments. Losing is part of the game and losing badly can build character. Losing three in a row has to be building a lot of character in our Rams this year. Will the coaching staff develop character? Will the players develop character? These are good questions.

I am preparing myself for a character building weekend, this weekend, since I made plans and bought tickets to fly to Dallas. I am visiting my little brother and he managed to get 12 tickets to the game. I am going to be surrounded by freaking insane Cowboy fans who are hungry and excited to watch a blowout in their stadium against a pathetic 0-3 team that has only managed to score 32 points in three games.

Letís hope our coaching staff is up for making adjustments and the offense is ready to go. The Cowboys have scored 116 points in three games. They are 3-0. The Rams have scored 32 points in three games and they are 0-3. I am preparing for some more character building; however, I would be open to an upset game in a hostile environment.
    Utter,

Great article!

I, too have experieced many a similiar fleecing on the soccer field as well. You are absolutely correct about getting over it and leaving it behind you as a distant memory.

I have hope but I truly appreciate your optimistic but realistic approach to your roadtrip. Good luck! I hope your stopper and sweeper are going with you to "back you up!"

:waiting: My son's soccer team has scored about 30 goals on the "A" pitch and nearly as many on the "B" pitch. They have not allowed and goals on the upper field and only a few on the other. I have been placing my son on defense as he has a habit of controlling his team mates ball's and taking them in for a score.

I have asked him to start taking shots from mid-field (he is 7) and he hits those too. So know I have asked him to just pass or put the ball in an open offensive place!

Played one summer in England and Scotland as a teen. Lost almost every game. But it did build character and helped my game immensly!

Hope to hear that your soccer team kicks some hine and that your head is held up high after leaving jones' field in Dallas. Hell, right now, a 10 point loss to the cowgirls would be a victory and a confidence builder for team!
    Socrates: Surf to live! and Live to Surf!

RealRam is offline Registered User

Most excellent article, nicely done! Well said indeed, UB.

For this coming game 4 I'm hoping we will earn just a "little less" character, resolve, strength and unity (all virtues that we desperately need, for sure), and instead earn a victory.

I hope the coaches on the offensive side, Ellard, Garrett, Moses, Olson, and Linehan get together, brainstorm till special effects appear within their X's and O's screen, and go in wild and determined for that upset you mentioned.

Really enjoyed reading your article. GO RAMS! :r

Thanks guys....sometimes I can put a few words and thoughts together. Yes a victory would be very nice RealRam. We will see.

Quote Originally Posted by fearlessone View Post
    I, too have experieced many a similiar fleecing on the soccer field as well. You are absolutely correct about getting over it and leaving it behind you as a distant memory.

I have hope but I truly appreciate your optimistic but realistic approach to your roadtrip. Good luck! I hope your stopper and sweeper are going with you to "back you up!"

:waiting: My son's soccer team has scored about 30 goals on the "A" pitch and nearly as many on the "B" pitch. They have not allowed and goals on the upper field and only a few on the other. I have been placing my son on defense as he has a habit of controlling his team mates ball's and taking them in for a score.

I have asked him to start taking shots from mid-field (he is 7) and he hits those too. So know I have asked him to just pass or put the ball in an open offensive place!

Played one summer in England and Scotland as a teen. Lost almost every game. But it did build character and helped my game immensly!

Hope to hear that your soccer team kicks some hine and that your head is held up high after leaving jones' field in Dallas. Hell, right now, a 10 point loss to the cowgirls would be a victory and a confidence builder for team!
    Good stuff FLO. We could use your son on our team if he is such a scoring machine.

We played tonight and won short handed and against what seemed to be a better team. 2-1 was the score and it was a hard fought win. I warmed up, but never made it on the field since I pulled my calf a few weeks ago and it is not ready for running yet.

The "Pitch"...that was a new English word for the week. I heard it in a bar last friday and had no idea what they were talking about. "Look at the pitch, it's a mess, patches everywhere" Yeah....right...what is he talking about?

The pitch is the field for all you silly americans out there.

Would love to bring my sweeper and stopper with me for support. Might need them. I hope the Rams come to play on Sunday.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

THEFIELDGOAL is offline Registered User

Nicely said. This team needs some fire and this coaching staff is just not for us.
    John Shaw and Jay Zygmunt are going to be next on the fanbase pr campaign for a change real soon. 0-4 is just ugly. I would rather watch high school football. I love my Rams but it's like bad poop. It stinks so far.
    We need a huge gameplan, i agree to prevent an already horrible season.
    I will still watch but with an upset stomach mode.
    Last edited by THEFIELDGOAL; -09-25-2007 at 05:07 AM.
    THE FIELD GOAL

ramgram is offline Registered User

Great read, Utterblitz!
    If I have it straight, our characters should be so strong we need not worry about further temptation from the Devil!
    Heard a discussion last week about the Linehan coaching style. Seems we fans were spoiled by the Martz Flash & Dash so we are unable to recognize "true coaching". Gee! And here I was thinking that winning the occasional game was good coaching! Silly me! ramgram
    ramgram

Good to see you posting ramgram.

Yeah I thought winning was part of coaching goals too, but you know, maybe we just can't see the big picture here. We are only simple fans with simple minds.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ramscoyote38 is offline Registered User

im w/the others less character development more wins + keeping bulger off the ground in the pocket and out of the hospital would deff. be a plus

fearlessone is offline Registered User

UB,

Please give us a detailed report about the game and your experiences. If it was me, I would have either left or turned my attention to the bevy of women attending the game.

I admit I am weak and tired of watching our team having their heads handed to them week in out!

FLO

Congrats on the soccer "pitch" and get that calf healed up. Ever tried acupunture?
    Socrates: Surf to live! and Live to Surf!

Quote Originally Posted by fearlessone View Post
    UB,

Please give us a detailed report about the game and your experiences. If it was me, I would have either left or turned my attention to the bevy of women attending the game.

I admit I am weak and tired of watching our team having their heads handed to them week in out!

FLO

Congrats on the soccer "pitch" and get that calf healed up. Ever tried acupunture?
    I am trying to find the words to explain the day, the game, the experience. It is not one of my happy game moments, but I might as well tell the tale.

No I have not tried acupunture? Is it good? Should I try it?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]