UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

The last preseason game

We are headed towards the last preseason game for the Rams and it is against the Dolphins. That is Linehanís team from last year. Does it matter? Does he care? Do they care? Probably not at this stage. Tropical storm Ernesto is making some headlines, but it does not appear to be a game stopper. The dolphins seem to be taking this game lightly. Linebacker Zach Thomas was quoted as saying ďI'm getting ready for Pittsburgh. I haven't even looked at any tape of St. Louis.'' Maybe they are all looking past this game and preparing for the first game of the season. Maybe the Rams coaching staff is doing the same thing.

This year Miamiís results for the preseason are:
    Loss against Jags 31-26
    Win against Bucs 13-10
    Loss against Cats 19-10

Not very impressive, but not too bad.

History for the Rams and the Dolphins.

There is not much of a history. We donít play them very often. The most recent regular season match up took place on October 24, 2004; the Dolphins recorded a 31-14 victory at home. The last Rams win was on September 30, 2001 at the Ed, when they recorded a convincing 42-10 victory. The Dolphins are 4-1 against the Rams in Miami during the regular season.

Is Linehan happy to be a Ram?

Comparing the offensive talent on the two teams, I would think that Linehan is very happy to be a Ram.

There have been many changes in Miamiís offense this year. For one, they no longer have Linehan as the OC. They also said adios to two top offensive players. Gus Frerotte (2986 passing yards, 18 TDs, 13 Ints for í05) is now a Ram and Ricky Williams (743 rushing yards, 6 TD, 17 receptions) is not playing due to a year long drug suspension in 2006.

Miami picked up two QBs this year. Daunte Culpepper was brought in from the Vikings (1564 passing yards, 6 TDs, 12 Ints) and Joey Harrington from the Lions (2021 passing yards, 10 TD, 10 INT). Neither of these QBs has been impressive in the past and I canít imagine that this will be a good year for Miamiís offense.

Now that Ricky Williams is out, second year RB Ronnie Brown (907 rushing yards, 32 receptions, 5 TD) will attempt to carry the load provided he can stay healthy. Their top receiver Chris Chambers (82 receptions, 11 TD for í05) is decent, but he is lacking support from the other receivers. Marty Booker (39 receptions, 3 TDs) , Wes Welker, Kelly Campbell (former Vikings player), TE Randy McMichael (60 receptions, 5 TD) and TE Justin Peelle are the other guys lined up to catch the ball in 2006.

Little side note: Marcus Vick is with the Dolphins all though they are uncertain if he will make the final cut. Keep an eye out for him.

Under Linehan last year the Dolphins scored the largest amount of points in the fourth quarter which indicates that they were behind and catching up for most games. Here is the quarter by quarter break down for the 2005 Dolphins.

1st Q 44 points
    2nd Q 78 points
    3rd Q 57 points
    4th Q 139 points.

Lots of points in the 4th Quarter can lead to some pretty exciting games.

This is the last game before the final cuts are made. Some players are going to be putting it all on the line as they try to get noticed. Keep your eye on the third and fourth string QBs and WRs during this game.

The first game of the season is against the Broncos and they look tough as nails. I certainly hope that Linehan can repeat his season opening game winning streak against the Broncos.

Go RAMS!!!!! Here is to no injuries and the end of preseason.
    Last edited by UtterBlitz; -08-31-2006 at 01:52 AM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Re: The last preseason game

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz View Post
    Miami picked up two QBs this year. Daunte Culpepper was brought in from the Vikings (1564 passing yards, 6 TDs, 12 Ints) and Joey Harrington from the Lions (2021 passing yards, 10 TD, 10 INT). Neither of these QBs has been impressive in the past and I canít imagine that this will be a good year for Miamiís offense.
    I'm sorry but I completely disagree with Culpepper not being impressive in the past. Yes he was horrible last year and then he got injured, but before that he was a top notch QB.

Two years ago he threw for over 4700 yards 39 TDs and only 11 Ints, also in his first year as a starter he threw for 33 TDs and almost 4000 yards. His seasons in between those years were also pretty productive. Culpepper is an upgrade over what Miami had at QB last year (our new backup) so I believe Miami's offense will be fine.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Re: The last preseason game

You may be right ramsbruce. He may be impressive. I just never noticed him before, but I don't pay attention to all the teams and the Vikings have never drawn my interest in the past.

The Miami fans are throwing around happy quotes about him and they seem to believe that he will be fabulous this year. He might be....it is possible.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]