UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Is Linehan the new Mike Martz?

How different is Scott Linehan from Mike Martz?

While doing research on the two of them, I found they had a lot in common.

Both are aggressive play callers
    Both were quarterback coaches
    Both use a pass-first philosophy
    Both like using Tight Ends for blocking
    Both like to call the offensive plays

Relationship with the players
    Martz is a demanding coach who expects a great deal out of his players. Martz would throw players in his doghouse for poor play, poor attitude, off field conduct issues, or maybe just to toughen them up. Martz was never an easy coach, but he seemed to have earned most of the player’s respect. Maybe not Kyle Turley’s respect, but most of them actually seemed to enjoy playing for Martz.

Martz was attracted to quality players who were well grounded and versatile. One of Martz’s quirks was his desire to move players around into new positions. Sometime this worked, but often it did not.

I don’t know Linehan’s style with the players as well, but it appears to be more laid back. I don’t think he has a dog house. He certainly is drawn to players that he has worked with in the past since he keeps acquiring players from his past. Gus Frerotte is one of those players. He has been with Linehan in Minnesota for 2003 and 2004 and in Miami for 2005. Now Frerotte is a Ram. Linehan must like Frerotte a lot to bring him along to a third team.

Linehan’s moral compass swings freely. He seems to have no trouble working with some of the mildly tainted players. This may bring changes to the Rams in the future, as more players are brought in without Martz's quality stamp of approval.

Does anyone remember the Minnesota Vikings “Love Boat” Sex Scandal from last year? I won’t go into details since we have a pretty young audience, but that sort of scene speaks volumes about the character of the players on the team. I can’t imagine the Rams getting into that sort of trouble especially with Martz around. I know that Linehan was not with the Vikings in 2005, but the character of the players does not change that quickly. Do you know that our new RB Moe Williams was one of the few charged in the “Love Boat” incident? Linehan still likes Moe and now he is a Ram.

I am guessing that off field behavior does not matter so much to Linehan.

In Miami last season, Ricky Williams played for Linehan after quitting the team the season before and after several drug suspensions. Ricky has been named “the quitter” by some of the dolphin faithful. Would Martz let “a quitter” play for his team, or would “ a quitter” be stuck in his dog house forever?

Positive changes

I’ll end this little comparison on a positive note.

I have read that Linehan will make a few keys changes which should help the offense. A simplified playbook will be used. Running plays will be called more frequently and Steven Jackson’s name will be called more often. Bulger may be a allowed to use audible play calling, which simply means that he can change a play by calling out signals at the line of scrimmage, which should equate to fewer sacks and less scrambling.

With the departure of Mike Martz we can hope for better use of timeouts, less arguing with the officials over silly issues, less fighting with the front office, and an actual two minute offense that has some hope of scoring. We may even get a better post game review and team comments from Linehan since Linehan seems more comfortable talking to the press.

Let’s hope that Linehan brings positive changes to the Offense and gives Bulger some protection.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

THEFIELDGOAL is offline Registered User

Re: Is Linehan the new Mike Martz?

Hey Utterblitz- It's going to be a great season. We have the spectacle of new movie. With all the drama. This coach so far comes across as very genuine. He seems more poised at the podium. And hopefully he will not
    be using the Martz line of it was my fault or the famous i could have planned better for us to win.
    With all that said hey why not cheer the new man on board. We need a
    great start for this city to come back to life.
    The Field Goal-Oscar F Lopez
    THE FIELD GOAL

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

I hope that it is going to be a great season Oscar. I would love to see the team come together and win games, but I am a skeptic and I am not sure of Linehan's ability to lead the team right now. I need to see what happens in the preseason and in the some of the regular games. Sorry, but I am not much of a cheerleader, especially for players or coaches that I don't know.

You do realize that the Dolphins lost 7 out of their first 10 games last year. Maybe you don't know that, but I checked it out, and it is true. They did pull it together at the end of the season and win their last 6.

I do wish Scott Linehan the best in his first year as a Head Coach.

I liked Mike Martz, by the way, and comparing Linehan to Martz is a positive comparison in my mind.
    Last edited by UtterBlitz; -08-10-2006 at 08:56 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I am guessing that off field behavior does not matter so much to Linehan.

In Miami last season, Ricky Williams played for Linehan after quitting the team the season before and after several drug suspensions. Ricky has been named “the quitter” by some of the dolphin faithful. Would Martz let “a quitter” play for his team, or would “ a quitter” be stuck in his dog house forever?
    Interesting article. To be fair, under the Martz regime we did sign Turley knowing he had temper problems even on the field. Leonard Little has his share of baggage, and we've stuck by him. Pisa spent four months in prison for two felony assault charges before we ever drafted him. I'm not trying to rag on any of those guys; I'm just saying sometimes you make judgment calls, and having Ricky on the Dolphins proved to be a great benefit at minimal cost last year.

That said, I think it is fair to question what his leadership is going to be like. Some players' coaches just can't control the big egos. Mike Tice lost his job in Minnesota because he couldn't keep the players under control. So when you get a nice guy like Linehan (seriously, has he said anything negative about anyone since he arrived?), you do wonder how he's going to react if the players don't do what they're supposed to. I'm not saying he won't be able to handle it, but the fact is with an untried head coach you just don't know.

I'm not too worried about him signing players from his past, though. Matt Hasselbeck was one of the guys Holmgren liked when they were both with the Packers. Vermeil brought in former Rams Trent Green, Eddie Kennison, and Dexter McLeon when he went to Kansas City. Parcells brought in Drew Bledsoe, Jason Ferguson, and Keyshawn Johnson from his past. Why take a risk that a guy won't be able to succeed in a your system if you already know a player that would fit what you want to do? Especially if you think his abilities are worth more than what his current market value is. For example, Raonall Smith was available at the veteran minimum. That's a low risk move especially if he winds up starting.

coy bacon is offline Registered User

Bah, weak basis for a comparison.

No, Linehan ain't the new MM cause Linehan's past isn't as successful as Martz's. Wasn't MM the OC for the SB win? What does Linehan have to show?

Maybe Linehan becomes the new MM, maybe not. I'd bet not.

Back in 63 Meade took over. Lee correctly assumed that Meade would be overly cautious because he knew his personality and because of his Army's dire situation. Therefore Lee moved boldly.

What I've learned about Linehan's personality and what I've seen of his moves tells me that Linehan is smart. But I also think he is going to be too cautious...

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Is he the new MM? I truely hope he is not that sMartz. If you mean attracted to quality like McDon'tald, Belasorry, Manuseless well that's some quality we can do without.

As has as Linehan going to be too cautious, I think that is yet to be seen. He did bring in Haslett as D coach on one hand which suggests some risk-taking. At the same time, I think it's impractical for him to purge all vestiages of MM immediately. Time will tell ...

coy bacon is offline Registered User

As the game started I thought about what I had postulated, i.e. that Linehan would be too cautious.

I felt sick, just sick, when I saw what Dungy did with the KO.

"Yep", I said to myself, we have Meade leading this army, or worse, George McClellan.

I've thought of the hiring of Haslett to be a smart, cautious move. He hired a proven HC to be his DC. That was the safe and smart thing to do.