Varg6 is offline Registered User

Our Offense...Should we Worry?

Our Offense…Should we worry?
    By Jake Cohn (Varg6)

Over the past 3 weeks, we have developed a thing for truly dissing the offense. I can’t say that I can blame all of you though. I sure have been disappointed with it as well, but I must say to myself…Hey, this is a brand new offense for everyone, they’re trying to learn it, Bulger is being smart, he’s not throwing interceptions. And you know what? I’ve seen progress every single game. Especially the game versus Arizona, I saw some great potential for this offense (Well, obviously, they already are amazing.).

I was actually very impressed, I thought for one thing. Bulger has shown me that no matter what offense he’s in, he can still get things done. It may be a slow start, but hey it’s better than nothing. I think we as fans know that, and I think especially the players and coaches see that he is a true leader. No matter what circumstances, Bulger WILL rise to the occasion and that in itself has truly impressed me. I for one am really glad Marc is our starting quarterback.

From the looks of it, it seems as if they have put back some plays from the Martz offense, then again it could just be a coincidence, who really knows right? But it sure looked like Marc was a lot more comfortable overall. The red zone is still an issue…Utilize the tight end position Marc!! My only complaints really are more of the running game; I’d just love to see Jackson or Davis score already. It seems like they’re putting too much pressure on Marc in the red zone areas in the game.

Although we lack in the red zone, and sometimes in the running game, I for one still have a lot of hope in our new head coach. I think so far he’s doing an outstanding job, especially for a first year head coach, he happens to be a rookie as well. So we can’t really blame if we have a bad season can we? But, it doesn’t look like (so far) we can have that bad of a season, with a pretty good defense, and an offense just getting ready to come alive. This may not be the year the Rams go to the super bowl or the playoffs, but with the talent we got, I have no doubt in my mind, that we can go all the way next year when everyone is totally adjusted to the new offensive and defensive schemes.

We all think that the greatest show on turf is gone, well I kind of disagree. Although, mad Mike is gone, for the most part, the players are still there, and that’s what made them the greatest show on turf, I do doubt we’ll be getting 30-40 points every game, but I sure as hell know that we’re still going to be a high powered offense, and all we need is a little bit of time. Should we really worry? I say no.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Our Offense...Should we Worry?

Great read. I have to disagree with the GSOT comment. We are missing the most important piece of that puzzle, Marshall Faulk. Granted Steven Jackson is a good back and may be great some day, guys like Marshall are hard to find. That's if there will ever be another Marshall Faulk.

I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Great read. I have to disagree with the GSOT comment. We are missing the most important piece of that puzzle, Marshall Faulk. Granted Steven Jackson is a good back and may be great some day, guys like Marshall are hard to find. That's if there will ever be another Marshall Faulk.

I doubt it.
    That is true, no team will ever be close to what the GSOT was, but, the closest will most likely be this team simply because we still have the remainding pieces of it, that's all I meant haha.

ramhard is offline Registered User

Some Data on where the O stands

Just some data - the key to an offense is how much it scores (now other things matter but this is key). The Rams rank 11 of 15 in the NFC and tied for 20th out of 29 in the NFL for scoring of teams that have played 3 games (some teams have already had byes so they have only had 2 games). So the Rams are in the bottom third of scoring. So I think it is a cause for concern, but we'll know better after the next 6 games or so (will be a third of the way through). I don't think the Rams can consistently win with the O less than half in scoring.

Re: Some Data on where the O stands

Quote Originally Posted by ramhard View Post
    Just some data - the key to an offense is how much it scores (now other things matter but this is key). The Rams rank 11 of 15 in the NFC and tied for 20th out of 29 in the NFL for scoring of teams that have played 3 games (some teams have already had byes so they have only had 2 games). So the Rams are in the bottom third of scoring. So I think it is a cause for concern, but we'll know better after the next 6 games or so (will be a third of the way through). I don't think the Rams can consistently win with the O less than half in scoring.
    What do you think the point of my article was? It was simply saying that life is coming back to it, and honestly can we really take our ranking that seriously in Week 3 already? Some teams are going to be stuck in the last of the rankings, like the Raiders, but I think we all know that the offense will eventually break out, there are some sparks each game that I've seen each week that is just dying to exploid and become explosive once again...

THEFIELDGOAL Guest

Varg6 I know the everyone is having a hard time dealing with the redzone slump with Coach Linehan. But the reality is we should have lost to Denver.\
    They were considered the better unit.
    But we lose to our long time rival for the 3rd time in almost two seasons.
    We should have beaten the *****. As for the Cardinals game. If Kurt Warner did not hand us the game- Our record would reflect a different outcome, beating our division is priority and as a new coach it should be those games
    that matter. Because come playoff time-those wins matter the most.
    So i agree with the so called experts-Us the diehards- we need this team to be more impressive given all the veteran leadership and offseason acquisitions.