throwback week

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Ten Defensive Players...

There are ten defensive players, I, Jake, will be analyzing. Each player will be from either old Rams players, or new acquisitions from Free-Agency, and also the Draft. I shall be grading them, and giving each player a little analysis, and also say what should be done strategically to make them better defensive players for us, the Rams. The grades go from F-A. ďFĒ being the worst, and ďAĒ being the bestÖ

ÖAnd the list begins.

LaíRoi Glover

Glover has been considered an excellent, excellent player, and is a great improvement to last yearís Defensive Tackle. But, statistically, his numbers decreased a lot over the span of 2004-2005. Is this because the other guys from Dallasí defense are getting in there quicker, or is it because Glover simply cannot get as many tackles as he has done in the past? Glover will eventually be put on trial during the season. Hopefully his age isnít catching up to him, and he just didnít have that great of a year last year. Hopefully, what we do with him is switch spots every now and then with Jimmy Kennedy. I donít think it would be wise to let Glover start a whole game, I think he should sit out every now and then in each game to regenerate some energy, and get back into the game.

Overall Grade =B+
    Glover is a great player, and always has been. Heís reuniting with Jim Haslett, and it simply seems like a Cinderella story waiting to happen. If the Rams personnel uses the strategy I gave, this grade will easily be upgraded to an A+. Glover could have a great year with us, but I am just worried about his motor in the game. Overall, I think either which way, heís an improvement for the Rams, I just hope heís used correctly.

Will Witherspoon

Will Witherspoon is in my opinion the best free-agent acquisition for the Rams this year. Witherspoon, regardless of if he changed spots this year will still be a great player for us, and is still young enough to still improve (Probably this year too!). I honestly believe this guy is going to make a huge difference on defense, heís going to wind up being the leader of the defense and I think will take the defense far. I think this guy is going to rid us of our 30+ Ranked Defense(s).

Overall Grade =A+
    The guy is great, what can I tell you? It was a blessing obtaining the guy, and this season, I can pretty much guarantee that this is going to be a fact. Heís got good speed, blitzes well, and also has already been taught well by the Panthers. If he can bring that confidence heís had there, to the Rams, Iím sure by being a leader, the defense as a whole will also become better just by the enthusiasm and talent he is bringing to the table. Overall, I honestly think Witherspoon is going to be fine at Middle Linebacker, either which way heís another huge impact.

Oshiomogho Atogwe

Not my favorite player, but heís only been playing for one year. Going into his second year, Atogwe will definitely become an improvement. Iíve been preaching this so much over and over again at ClanRam, but I shall once again say it. If our older Rams players are taught correctly, theyíll become a way better defense, and with Haslett, thereís only room for improvement for a guy like this. The only strategy here is showing him the ropes again.

Overall Grade =C
    Watching this guy intercept a pass the last game against Dallas, and running to the 2 yard line really got me thinkingÖThis guy can really become a great player, and I really want to see good things happen with him. Fortunately, weíve brought in new guys, and hopefully will show this guy the ropes, because most of our guys do have talent, so I think in the end, heíll make a difference for a backup, even a starter.

Fakhir Brown

Brown, formerly from the New Orleans Saints, is once again with Jim Haslett, and more than likely a backup. Brownís statements imply that he will be the starter, but I donít know if thatís really going to happen. Honestly, out of all the free-agency pickups, heís one of my least favorite. I think he could be an impact player, especially for a backup, but his stats just donít prove anything at all. His stats simply show his game appearances are inconsistent, and are mediocre (And thatís putting it lightly.). Anyways, I want to hope, and pray that this guy is a good solid backup, and maybe will surprise us and emerge as a starter for us, who knows!?

Overall Grade =C-
    Iíve said this about Brown before, and unfortunately I must say it again, whatís the big deal? Haslett has mentioned that he has talent, and is the reason heís on this team now, and I want to believe Haslett, but his stats just simply donít justify his statement about ďtalentĒ. How many years do you need to prove yourself? Heís not getting any younger, so hopefully heíll prove himself this year for the Rams. We all know we need a savior when it comes to cornerbacks!

Anthony Hargrove

Honestly, I enjoy watching this guy play. I honestly think this guy is going to have a great year; heís entering his third year in the NFL with the St. Louis Rams, and I firmly believe this guy will be a big impact for the defensive front. The guy is only going to improve, and like I said with Haslettís teachings, Iím sure heís going to be great for us, and will be a good solid starter.

Overall Grade =B-
    Iíve always liked Hargrove, and I still think heís a force to be reckoned with. Overall, I enjoy watching the guy, and heíll get better simply by learning from the other defensive Vets that are here now. Nothing really new, just get better! No real strategy there!

Corey Chavous

At age Thirty, Corey is still getting the job done. Heís just a monster safety, and is obviously our new starter. Iím very thrilled with Chavous, I know nothing but good things about this guy, I know heís getting up there in age, but I strongly feel heís going to be a big piece of the puzzle in regard to making a great defense for the Rams. His stats are pretty good, and are definitely a huge upgrade for the safety department.

Overall Grade = A-
    Corey Chavous is entering his ninth year in the NFL with his new team, the St. Louis Rams. Chavous is going to be one of those guys who are going to be mentors for our younger players here in St. Louis. Heís going to show them the ropes in practice, and on the field. I honestly think heís going to make a huge impact for this defense, and hopefully bring its rankings down to the top ten. Itís a stretch, but with this kind of talent, I think we could pull it off.

Dexter Coakley

Coakley is simply a disappointment, he is this great player for so long with the Dallas Cowboys, and of course when he comes here, he becomes a total bust. He really didnít do much at all last year, and thatís just being nice by saying that. Heís honestly a waste, and probably should be cut, but who knows, he thinks heíll be an impact, he must still have talentÖright?

Overall Grade =D-
    Although Coakley is set for a new season, and ready to give the Rams an impact at linebacker, I just donít believe the hype in Coakleyís quotes. Heís only getting older, and statistically from last year, I am so upset and disappointed, I canít believe now is his time to shine, itís simply not going to happen, Iíd love to be proven wrong, but I really have my doubts with this guy.

Pisa Tinoisamoa

One of our best defensive players on the teamÖPisa is simply dominant at linebacker. He has the skills and talent to really drive this defense far away from the leagueís worst. Heís got good power, and speed to explode into hits to force fumbles. Heís been reliable for the Rams, and this year, heíll actually be able to rely on his defensive players. Heís only been playing for 3 years, and has been pretty consistentÖ

Overall Grade =B+

Heís been one of our top rated players by us fans, and heís more than likely never going to stop. Heís excellent, and knows how to get in there and get forced fumbles. Weíre lucky to have the guy in my opinion, I think he could have a great year if the rest of the defense does their job, and heíll be able to just do his job, and let the rest of the defense take control. If we get everything going with our defense, Pisa will have a great year along with the rest of the defense.

Claude Wroten

From what I understand, the Rams got a steal with this guy. He couldíve been a 1st round draft pick if it werenít for his off-field character. So far, he hasnít gotten into any trouble and I firmly believe could become a starter this year if he plays like he did in college at LSU. The Rams got a great steal in the draft, and I think once he steps on field, heíll become an immediate impact.

Overall Grade =A-
    Claude Wroten will simply become an immediate impact for us. My only concern, is everyone elseís concern. Will he be able to stay quiet and not cause problems for the team due to his character problems? Heís a great player, but sometimes problems like his can just kill a teamís morale. Overall, I think heís going to be fine, but you all know me, I worry about these things!

Tye Hill

Last but not least, (Obviously, he was our first-round draft pick.)Hill has emerged as someone who may be fighting for the starting job this year, although he is still just a rookie. Are we expecting too much from the former Clemson Tiger? Honestly, I think weíre. I think he can become a great player, but Iíd rather him develop more than anything. I guess the only way to learn is by playing with the big boys but I still want to see this guy succeed the right way.

Overall Grade =B+
    I think Hill will be a great player, I truly do. Heís got tremendous athleticism, and is extremely talented. Iíd love to see him get pointers before he actually starts playing, and isnít immediately a starter, but then again, maybe if he is the starter, heíll become an immediate impactÖItís always a gamble with these first-round draft picks, but I think in due time, heíll be a good, solid player for the Rams.
    Last edited by Nick; -08-09-2006 at 12:18 AM.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

Re: Ten Defensive Players...

I totally agree with Wroten's grade. I've seen 5 LSU games with him in them and I was like WOW He's GOOD!! He is a steal. All the Grades are perfect. I still can't believe that we were able to get all those awesome Free Agents. I feel like I'm dreaming.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

What about Kennedy? He's the most important cog of the defense this year.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm counting on Coakley to step it up this year. His leadership qualities and overall talent didn't help much last year, then again nothing did.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    What about Kennedy? He's the most important cog of the defense this year.
    The players I picked were all basically random haha, there was no rhyme or reason as to why I picked most of them, the only two I wanted to make sure I got in was Tye Hill and Claude Wroten because I wanted to emphasize how I felt about them. The rest were just..yeah, random haha

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams