Thread: Why...Part 2.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Why...Part 2.

Why the Rams may not be successful and might not make it to the playoffs this year…
    Part 2…
    By Jake Cohn (Varg6)

First time head-coach; nerve-racking…

Ex-offensive coordinator from Minnesota and Miami comes brand new head coach for the St. Louis rams…Scott Linehan. Now, in my eyes, we’ve brought in so much talent in the off-season to both sides of the ball through free-agency and the draft. It’s seriously very hard to dislike Linehan as a head coach. He’s got things done to help our God awful defense, such as bring in ex-coach of the New Orleans Saints, and utilize him as defensive coordinator. As far as I’m concerned, Haslett has experience at the head coaching career, and is well-known for his excellent defenses. So, why am I concerned? Well, the head line says it all. Scott is a first time head coach, and coming off of a sort of unusual bad year. It was definitely one of the most bizarre turn of events, first Martz getting very ill, and then him getting fired. The whole thing, as we all know, was just very odd. So, there are two ways to look at it. One positive, one negative…Do we say Linehan is a bust after his first year if he fails to bring us to success via playoffs? Or do we say, well he’s a first time head coach? I look at it this way…He is just a first time head coach, and sometimes we all (including me, especially) have too many high hopes for this season, when in reality, it is probably more than likely going to become a transition year for us.

Pre-Season scare?

I think we all know that out of all the people who are totally against judging teams during pre-season, I am the one who abides by that like no other. But, sometimes you must question it…Is offensive guru Scott Linehan really instilling a good offense for Bulger? Is it really simple now? Or are things just going downhill? I don’t think so, but hey, I worry, that’s what I do with the Rams! The first-team offense did not score one touchdown out of all 3 games they were played in. Well, is it time to worry, or not? Marc disagrees, he’s said it himself, it’s not big deal, it doesn’t count, and no one’s going to remember it. I hope he is right, and I really hope he stays healthy this whole year. I am not that concerned about the whole situation, but it’s something to take into consideration, being that I am a fan of this team and all.

Jackson WILL get carries…

Steven Jackson said he can handle the bulk of the offense. So, Linehan is going to give him the ball more and have a great balanced attack. But can Steven Jackson carry the load? I have high hopes for this guy, and so does most fantasy football players. Jackson says that there are no more excuses, and that this will be his breakout season. We haven’t really had that great of a rushing attack since the great twenty eight started aging a few years ago! I am really hoping that Jackson will get things done, but I just have this gut feeling about him, that there is a slight chance that he might mess up, or get hurt. Although, Davis is a good running back, he’s not in his prime, and if we lose Jackson for any length of time, it’s probably really going to hurt us, especially in the long run.

Basically this whole article is just the pessimistic view(s) of "experts", and other non-believers of the Rams. I was simply stating what could go wrong, do I think they will? Not really. Let's bring on the 2006 season!

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Re: Why...Part 2.

He is just a first time head coach, and sometimes we all (including me, especially) have too many high hopes for this season, when in reality, it is probably more than likely going to become a transition year for us.

Hey, that's the "nature of the beast". Being a lifelong fan of any team brings eternal optimism each year. Even though we know that it will be a tough struggle just getting this team back to a 8-8 record, we want to believe we'll go to the Superbowl. That's the beauty of the whole process. What bothers me though, are those fans that get on you when you say something they don't want to hear. It's not being pessimestic Basically this whole article is just the pessimistic view(s) of "experts", and other non-believers of the Rams. but simply being honest about the situation.
    Look, this team had some MAJOR issues last year. Yes, we've addressed many of them and are moving in the right direction. But to think that the Rams, or any team, can sprinkle in a handful of players into the mix, add new offensive and defensive coaches and schemes and instantly become a top 5 or 10 team, is just wishful thinking. It's just not that simple, and it rarely happens overnight.
    I look at it like I do a business. If a company wants to become a strong leader in its industry, and not just a flash in the pan, it needs to build a foundation for success by first getting all the right players, than figuring out what it can be the best at and creating a plan. It's called the "flywheel effect" rather than the "doom-loop". Like a giant flywheel, moving it in the right direction is a difficult process to start, at first the wheel moves slowly, inch by inch, but once it begins to move, the momentum of the giant flywheel takes over and it moves on it's own and continues to turn. The "doom-loop" companies constantly try changing their business stratagies, thier personnel, and are always looking for instant success and are forever caught in the "doom loop", never getting better but becoming stagnant and mediocre. That's what happens to many pro sports teams. They're forever caught in the doom loop, never at the top, rarely at the bottom, but never a serious contender. The management panics and then throw money and "quick fixes" at the problems, but the problems never go away and the team never becomes as great as it could be.
    Be patient with this team, don't panic if we start out slowly and finish under .500 again. The flywheel is just beginning to move...

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    He is just a first time head coach, and sometimes we all (including me, especially) have too many high hopes for this season, when in reality, it is probably more than likely going to become a transition year for us.

Hey, that's the "nature of the beast". Being a lifelong fan of any team brings eternal optimism each year. Even though we know that it will be a tough struggle just getting this team back to a 8-8 record, we want to believe we'll go to the Superbowl. That's the beauty of the whole process. What bothers me though, are those fans that get on you when you say something they don't want to hear. It's not being pessimestic Basically this whole article is just the pessimistic view(s) of "experts", and other non-believers of the Rams. but simply being honest about the situation.
    Look, this team had some MAJOR issues last year. Yes, we've addressed many of them and are moving in the right direction. But to think that the Rams, or any team, can sprinkle in a handful of players into the mix, add new offensive and defensive coaches and schemes and instantly become a top 5 or 10 team, is just wishful thinking. It's just not that simple, and it rarely happens overnight.
    I look at it like I do a business. If a company wants to become a strong leader in its industry, and not just a flash in the pan, it needs to build a foundation for success by first getting all the right players, than figuring out what it can be the best at and creating a plan. It's called the "flywheel effect" rather than the "doom-loop". Like a giant flywheel, moving it in the right direction is a difficult process to start, at first the wheel moves slowly, inch by inch, but once it begins to move, the momentum of the giant flywheel takes over and it moves on it's own and continues to turn. The "doom-loop" companies constantly try changing their business stratagies, thier personnel, and are always looking for instant success and are forever caught in the "doom loop", never getting better but becoming stagnant and mediocre. That's what happens to many pro sports teams. They're forever caught in the doom loop, never at the top, rarely at the bottom, but never a serious contender. The management panics and then throw money and "quick fixes" at the problems, but the problems never go away and the team never becomes as great as it could be.
    Be patient with this team, don't panic if we start out slowly and finish under .500 again. The flywheel is just beginning to move...

Oh, I know, man! We'll eventually kick some serious again though!

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

I hear ya bro'!

I'm soooooooooo looking forward to this Sunday. ...and I'm in the process of getting tickets to the Rams/Charger's game Oct 29th. That will be the first game I've seen in person since they left California.

I'm getting a feeling that we're gonna see something that'll surprise us all this Sunday. Are you ready for some football?