laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Let's grade Linehan

So how did Coach Linehan fair during his 1st season as the leader of our RAMS?

Linehan had alot on his plate coming into the 2006 season. He was taking over a team that was on a downward slide. Replacing a coach that had been involved with 2 Superbowl appearances by our RAMS. A coach that had a very big hand in creating the "Greatest Show on Turf". A coach that was an offensive wizard. A coach that ran a very exciting and gambling offense. A coach that paid very little or no attention on the defense and special teams. That coach, Mike Martz fortunately for Linehan had burnt all the bridges between himself and the front office.(the players too?) So as we all know Martz was let go and the reins to our team were turned over to Rookie Scott Linehan. Sounds funny, when I hear rookie, I think of Tye Hill our number one draft pick. A rookie running our team? Oh brother this could get ugly!

To sum up the 2006 season, it was a real roller coaster ride. Linehan had us feeling like we were a legitimate playoff contender reaching the the top of that first hill at 4-1. Then we dropped from the top of the hill like a lead sinker going 0-5. The last lost during the losing streak saw us shutout 15-0! The RAMS shutout?! The rookie coach was under much scrutiny and his leadership abilities were being questioned. What had he done to our team? Linehan saved face by leading us to a win over the dreaded Whiners a nice bump in this crazy and wild roller coaster ride. Unfortunately the ride dropped us down to the bottom of the tracks with losses in our next 2 games. We were 5-8 and things were looking pretty ugly. Not to Linehan though. For the next three weeks he kept telling us that we're not dead. To Linehan's credit he never gave up, instilling his never say die attitude onto our team ( he could have easily lost the players) and we finished the ride with 3 wins in a row. A smooth landing? We missed the playoffs by a hair but had improved our won/loss record by 2 games over the previous season.

Here's my Good the Bad and the Ugly.

THE GOOD:
    1. We won 2 more games than 2005
    2. Offense scored 4 more points than the 2005 team * should have been 7*
    Linehan took 3 points off the board against the Seahawks:x
    3. Defense allowed 48 less points than the 2005 team
    4. Went from a (-10) turnover ratio in 2005 to a (+14)
    5. 19 less giveaways by the offense
    6. 5 more takeaways by the defense
    7. The utilization of Steven (the BEAST) Jackson
    8. Marc (our LEADER) Bulger plays a full season. 2005 Bulger played 8 games and had 9 interceptions. 2006 Bulger played all 16 games throwing "ONLY" 8 interceptions.
    9. Defense moved up 7 places in the overall rankings (30th to 23rd)
    10. Offense moved up 3 places in the overall rankings (9th to 6th)

THE BAD:
    1. Marc Bulger was sacked 49 times. (Peyton Manning 14, Drew Brees 18)
    2. Defense had 7 less sacks than the 2005 unit despite gambling with the full bag of blitzes that Haslett had.
    3. Rush defense actually got worse (ranked 28th overall for 2005, dropped to 31st for 2006)
    4. To many false start penalties by the offensive line (Alex Barron)
    5. Drafted 3 tightends, for what?
    6. Some very questionable play calling. Especially when Linehan was calling the plays. This leads me into the UGLY!

THE UGLY:
    There's one situation that still eats at me. The one that just won't go away.
    A true criminal act.

The scene of the crime:
    November 12th, 2006 at Seattle

The evidence:
    With the score 16-14 RAMS. Jeff Wilkins kicks a field goal to give us a 19-14 lead in the opening minute of the 4th quarter, but just before the ball was snapped, Scott Linehan throws his red challenge flag to dispute an incomplete pass to Kevin Curtis.:x A replay review overturned the call to give Curtis a 5-yard reception. So take the 3 points off the board,:x back to 16-14 RAMS.:x Linehan now looking at a 4th and 1. He decides to go for it and Bulgers pass to a well covered Klopfenstein falls incomplete.:x

"Yeah our defense was playing good enough that you hate to take points off the board," Bulger said, adding he thought the fullback (Paul Smith) going the wrong way ruined the 4th and 1 play. (Klopfenstein and Paul Smith):x
    Don't we have players named Steven Jackson, Torry Holt, Issac Bruce? even Stephen Davis? please!!

RAMS lost the game 24-22 on a last second 38 yard field goal by the Seahawks Josh Brown.

Scott Linehan guilty as charged. "ROOKIE"

I admit I feel much better now, getting that off my chest was huge. Hopefully the nightmares will go away?

All in all I like the direction our team is going and can't wait for the 2007 season to start.

ROOKIE SCOTT LINEHAN: Grade B-
    Last edited by laram0; -01-06-2007 at 11:19 AM.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Re: Let's grade Linehan

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    THE BAD:
    5. Drafted 3 tightends, for what?
    Good article but we didn't draft 3 TEs, only 2, Klop and Byrd. Walker has been in the league for 4 years and used to play for SF.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

you forgot that we lost that Seattle game by just two points, and that Richie Incognito took points off the board with another one of his penalties on a two point conversion.

Yeah Linehan took points off the board, but he wasnt the sole reason we lost.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    you forgot that we lost that Seattle game by just two points, and that Richie Incognito took points off the board with another one of his penalties on a two point conversion.

Yeah Linehan took points off the board, but he wasnt the sole reason we lost.
    Actually I didn't forget about that. The situation was Incognito protecting Steven Jackson....didn't upset me all that much.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

it didnt upset me either, and i fully understand why he did it. However, he cant keep giving away those types of penalties. He has the skills to be a very good player, but he needs to learn to control his ferocity. Everyone loves to see a nasty guy on the OL, but not one that gives penalities away all the time.

coy bacon is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    All in all I like the direction our team is going and can't wait for the 2007 season to start.
    ROOKIE SCOTT LINEHAN: Grade B-
    Nice write up Laram.

I'd give him a B. I'm pleased with his effort, and I expect much more next season. Let's see what he does this off season.

BigDaddyPace is offline Registered User

That play at Seettle REALLY pissed me off too. I wasn't so mad that we took the points off the board and went for it on 4th down. I was mad that we tried to throw the ball 30 yds downfield to JOE KLOPENSTEIN! Yeah, JOE KLOPHENSTEIN! We have future HOFer Tori Holt, future HOFer Isaac Bruce, and Steven "Having a Career Season" Jackson ont he feild and in one of the biggest games of the year, against our biggest division rival, on a VITAL play........and you tried to give the ball to JOE KLOPHENSTEIN? I dont get it.

MemphisRam is offline Registered User

linehan gets a c because tha'ts what his record was average. But he does have us in the right direction. With FA coming up we can hopefully get some
    quality pickups like MLB, DT, DE or bonefide safety. D D D D D D D D