Thread: Marshall Faulk

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Marshall Faulk

With the threads and articles concerning Marshall Faulk presently being responded to this will be a bit redundant. There are alot of different opinions being posted regarding Marshall's future.

I have a few thoughts in my mind that I will try and put my spin on. In no particular order. Again these are just random thoughts, thinking outloud if you will.

Let's assume that Marshall is healthy and passes all the physical tests put on him by Scott Linehan.

1. Marshall says he hasn't lost the love for the game and wouldn't play anywhere else?

It's great to hear that he wants to continue his career as a St. Louis Ram. (I want him back) If the Rams say no, will he really retire? He wants to play, says he has 2 to 3 years left in the tank. I find it hard to believe that he wouldn't go play for someone else in the NFL. I'm not sure of Marshall's contract situation with the Rams? I think he's under contract for 1 more season? So what happens if he's not welcomed back? Trade? Release him? What are the RAMifications in those scenarios?

2. Does Scott Linehan want him back?

To me this is a very interesting decision that Linehan is going to have to make.
    Does Steven Jackson have any imput? Does Linehan approach Jackson and weigh his opinion on bringing Marshall back? If Marshall is ready and Linehan says, "no thanks" how's that going to go over with the veterans on this team like Bruce, Holt, Bulger etc.? How will the media and the fans take it? On the other hand if Linehan brings Marshall back how will Steven Jackson take it?
    Is this a no win situation for Linehan? Would bringing Marshall back effect the chemistry on the offense in a positive or negative way?

3. Have the Rams moved on?

Let's face it, Steven Jackson is the back of the future, he certainly proved it. There's no way Marshall will get much action at the rb position. The chemistry between Marshall and Steven was weak at best. Stephen Davis filled Marshall's shoes in that arena. So what role would Marshall play?

4. Would the Rams offense improve with the additon of Marshall?

The obvious answer is absolutely! With Marshall's leadership qualities and over all knowledge of the game, seems like a no brainer. In what capacity would he be used? 3rd down back? Doubtfully? Jackson can do it all. 3rd or 4th down short yardage situations? That's again an area Jackson can handle or even Stephen Davis. What about Kevin Curtis, is he coming back? I mean Curtis played a reduced role last season will he really be missed all that much? Could Marshall be used to replace part of that role? Although I don't see Marshall as a deep threat he can certainly catch the ball. So say Marshall gets on the field for 10 to 12 plays a game as the 3rd or 4th receiver. Sounds good to me. What about the rest of the NFL? Will they have the same approach/concern when Marshall is on the field? The opposition always had to pay extra attention to #28 when he was on the field. Is he still the threat he once was? Will his effect on the opposing defenses still be there? Or will he be a decoy? I just don't know.

5. What if he's brought back and injures a knee again?

Is he worth the risk of passing on someone else? Say Tony Fisher for example.
    How many backs do we start the season off with? Bottom line is, is he worth a roster spot?

6. Is Marshall's situation a distraction?

We need the answer on Marshall either way. I want our staff focusing on defense and o-lineman. As much as I want the sentimental favorite back. It's time to stop pussy footin' around and make a decison. The sooner the better.

Of course if Marshall isn't healthy enough to play these thoughts and opinions are a mute point. The next time we see Marshall will be on the NFL Network and his induction into the HALL OF FAME. Thanks for the memories Marshall! Marshall! Marshall! Faulk!:r
    Last edited by laram0; -01-30-2007 at 09:47 AM.

Keenum is offline Registered User

Re: Marshall Faulk

Nice. I would love to see Faulk come back, even if he doesn't play that much. He's got so much knowlege and experience, and could benefit any young player. I think Jackson would prefer Faulk to see very limited carries, as he loves being the feature back (seen a few interviews when he's like that). Heck, he would almost become like a assistant coach if we brought him back. Wouldn't mind having one of the smartest NFL players ever on our sideline though, playing or not.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

laram,nice post once again,my question is how much of a limited role would Marshall be happy with, because it would be just that, if he comes back and is healthy Linehan will have to make a very tough decision,your point on weather it could piss off the veterans is very valid,i just hope whatever happens it doesn't turn ugly, i want Faulk to always be thought of and respected as an all time great Ram.

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Faulk had a limited role the last season that he played. Still, he had a pretty good ypc from what I remember. He would come in and get a first down when Jackson couldn't do much. The thing that has changed is that Jackson has finally stopped hesitating at the line and has started running downfield. Jackson came into his own this season.

Other than the fumble near the goal line at SD, Stephen Davis worked out really well.

Tony Fisher was so-so after a huge catch and run in Week 1. I figure that Tony Fisher did well at the game against Denver because Dez was in attendance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RealRam is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Keenum View Post
    I would love to see Faulk come back, even if he doesn't play that much. He's got so much knowledge and experience, and could benefit any young player. Heck, he would almost become like an assistant coach if we brought him back.

LARAM0, though naturally hypothetical, these issues nevertheless make for excellent questions and as you said, a decision needs to be made, the sooner the better (I wonder if it won't take several months to resolve!?!)...

I agree with Keenum and I too would love to see a 'Marshall Emeritus' still in Ram uniform and active on the field -- even if playing on limited roles, behind Davis.

1. Marshall says he hasn't lost the love for the game and wouldn't play anywhere else?

It's great to hear that he wants to continue his career as a St. Louis Ram. (I want him back).

--Same here. And I think the Rams would glady accept him back for this season which would be the main scenario (given the following questions).

2. Does Scott Linehan want him back?

--Yes, I do believe Coach Linehan would. See question 6.

3. Have the Rams moved on?

So what role would Marshall play?
    --See next question.

4. Would the Rams offense improve with the addition of Marshall?

The obvious answer is absolutely! With Marshall's leadership qualities and over all knowledge of the game, seems like a no brainer. In what capacity would he be used? 3rd down back? Doubtfully? Jackson can do it all. 3rd or 4th down short yardage situations? That's again an area Jackson can handle or even Stephen Davis. ...So say Marshall gets on the field for 10 to 12 plays a game as the 3rd or 4th receiver. Sounds good to me. What about the rest of the NFL? Will they have the same approach/concern when Marshall is on the field? The opposition always had to pay extra attention to #28 when he was on the field.
    --Totally agree! :r

5. What if he's brought back and injures a knee again?

--I appreciate the probabilities of the knee(s) failing on an old chassis, but again, he would be playing a rather limited amount of downs. I definitely believe he is worth having on the roster for 2007!

6. Is Marshall's situation a distraction?

--No, I really don't think so. Truth be known as far as I'm concerned, he might even become an incentive and a motivating factor!
    Last edited by RealRam; -01-30-2007 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Format / typo

Tom_SF is offline Registered User

I thought he already retired. If anything the Rams should make him the running backs coach.

keith m. klink Guest

these are all great questions, and great points to be made , every one of them. and the truth is , we are all thinking this. so this is a no brainer. steven jackson is the new future, an that was established this year, without any doubt. but his first 2 years he had nagging injuries, as well as marshall's knee's.he is due a new contract soon, and should be paid as a top 5 back, he proved that, by his stats this year. he wants to be the center of attention, but he needs to take a step back, look at his past and future, not be a selfish child and understand what faulk brings to the team , as a player , a teammate , a teacher and a coach- [ which everyone know's that he is the best film man in the nfl, and jackson can still learn from him as he did with davis.he sould understand what faulk means to the team, franchise , and fans.faulk would be fine with a limited role, he said so, this would be good all around to have jackson in front of 2 great vet's, you don't throw away a hall of fame back, to make a young player not cry or whine because he wants all the toy's, it's nice to share. and having a full year off, faulk looks really good and fit on t.v., so if he is healed, YES , he should have a roster spot, i would take him over unproven backs like alexis and washington [so sorry denzel ] and even tony fisher. faulk deserves that and jackson should understand that faulk is a backup player and not there to take his job. and a big contract to jackson very soon would prove that.

RealRam is online now Registered User

Excellent commentary, Klink. Fully agree with what you said. :r

I think that our new RB star No. 39 is well aware of his accomplishments thus far in his short career with the Rams and that he knows and understands his potential with us, that indeed, he is our future back, that he will likely make several more Pro Bowls, and that he might even soon be the NFL leading rusher.

Jackson also understands that an aging, possibly a one-last-season Marshall Faulk is in no way a threat to his job. As you said, he needs to share the RB position as best suits the Rams offense and I believe he is more than willing to do just that. He seems to be a smart, maturing player that puts the main need of the team first so it leaves little doubt that having Faulk return would be only to add quality depth to the position of which Jax is the main man.

I enjoyed listening to Marshall yesterday on ESPN /PTI and I hope the Rams will welcome him back with open arms.

essrtee is offline Registered User

If healthy, the addition of Faulk would instantly add depth to the position. Let Steven Jackson get his touches and substitute a fresh Faulk in for about 10 touches per game. That keeps Jackson healthy (and happy I might add). I'm sure Linehan and staff can develop some two-back set situations that could utilize Faulk's pass-catching ability. Bringing a health Faulk back is a win-win all around.

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

I'd Like to see Marshall groomed into our offensive coordinator ,because he does have the smarts.And think it should be sooner than later.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

HoustonRam is offline Registered User

Could it be that SJ recent statement about another back sharing the load was a way to open the door for Marshalls return? I believe this could work out as an advantage for Jackson.