throwback week

Thread: The NFC WEST

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

The NFC WEST

After looking at the list of 2007 opponents for all 4 teams in the NFC WEST. Of the 4 teams (RAMS,Whiners,Tards,Squawks) does any team have an advantage as far their 2007 opponents are concerned over the rest of the teams in the NFC WEST?

The actual dates of the schedules hasn't come out yet but let's take a look ahead.

Of the 16 games on the schedule all 4 teams in the NFC WEST have 14 common opponents. That's right we all play the same teams for 14 of our games. Hard to comprehend but it is true.

We all know that each team in the NFC WEST plays each other home and away.

We all play each team in the NFC SOUTH:

Rams and Tards play the Falcons and Panthers at home. Rams and Tards play the Saints and Buccaneers on the road.
    Whiners and Squawks play the Saints and Buccaneers at home. Whiners and Squawks play the Falcons and Panthers on the road.

We all play each team in the AFC NORTH:

Rams and Tards play the Browns and Steelers at home. Rams and Tards play the Ravens and Bengals on the road.
    Whiners and Squawks play the Ravens and Bengals at home. Whiners and Squawks play the Browns and Steelers on the road.

Each team in the NFC WEST plays one team from the NFC NORTH and NFC EAST:

RAMS at Cowboys, Packers at home.
    Tards at Redskins, Lions at home
    Whiners at Giants, Vikings at home
    Squawks at Eagles, Bears at home

After typing this out it allows for a better over view of the upcoming season. At least in my opinion.

Being the RAMS fan that I am, I would rather we played the Ravens and Bengals at home and played the Browns and Steelers on the road. Which is the case for the Whiners and the Squawks. Advantage Whiners and Squawks?

As far as the 2 uncommon opponents all 4 teams of the NFC WEST play, I would say that the Tards have the advantage. They have the Lions at home and play at the Redskins.

Of course we never know who the surprise team or teams are going to be in a given season. We also never know who the flops are going to be. Eliminating those issues from one's mind. Based on last seasons performances. I would say OUR RAMS have the toughest 2007 list of games compared to the rest of the NFC WEST.

denverram is offline Registered User

Re: The NFC WEST

I would have to agree. I think having the Ravens in Baltimore is a tough game.

I however do not think the Steelers in Pittsburg is a cake walk either. Given a choice I would take a trip to Pittsburg over a trip to Baltimore any day.

I do not know why I think this but I think the Lions may be the suprise team next year. It will be the second year under Martz and I think that will be big for them. The Tards will be in for a shock with this game.

Of course all this is meaningless before the draft and FA. Lets look again in May.

Denver.

Brain Daddy Guest

Re: The NFC WEST

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    RAMS at Cowboys, Packers at home.
    I'm incredibly jealous. You guys got both the 'Boys and the Pack, two teams that are up there with the Rams and Seahawks as rivals. I would've love one more chance to see Favre pounded into the turf and retirement. All we needed was 1 more win

It's really hard to predict the advantage because of parity. The scheduling for the 2 uncommon games is supposed to match up teams of the same rank within their divisions, and in theory the same talent level. But things change so quickly that it isn't the case. Last year it worked out so that the Niners ended up getting the Bears (NFCN champs) and the Bucs (NFCS champs). Kinda rough for a team that was 2-14 the previous year. This year it worked out so that we got the Eagles (NFCE champs) and the Saints (NFCS champs).

I would have to agree with DenverRam that it's too early. That difficult schedule could turn out to be the easiest of the 4. We'll have to wait and see.