laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

Rams....playoffs?..playoffs?

Here we are at the bye week of the 2006 season. The Rams are a playoff contender as they sit right now at 4-2. The real question is will they be in the playoffs when the regular season ends? Our new coaching staff combined with the addition of some key players have certainly given us hope.

How does our competition look? First of all our competitors are the entire NFC Conference. As we all know there are 16 teams that make up the NFC Conference. 6 teams will have qualified for the playoffs at the end of the season. 4 division winners and 2 wildcard teams.

Looks like there are 5 teams that are for all intent and purposes out of the playoff picture. Those teams are the Lions (1-5), Cardinals (1-5), Packers (1-4), Buccaneers (1-4) and the Whiners (2-4). The Redskins are (2-4) as well but I've separated them from the pack of 5. In my opinion the Redskins are better than their (2-4) record indicates. Last seasons Superbowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers were (7-5) before they went on their undefeated run right through the Superbowl. It's highly unlikely that the Redskins will be able to make a run like that. Putting them a notch ahead of the dreaded 5 is my way of saying they have the best chance of pulling off a miracle run. So that leaves us with 10 teams fighting for the 6 playoff positions.

After examing the remaining teams schedules, I've come up with a formula that helps predict who/whom the final 6 will be.

Abreviations:
    vwg=very winnable games
    thg= tough home games
    drg= difficult road games

Rams (4-2)
    vwg=(4)vs.KC,vs.SF,vs.Az,@Oak
    thg=(2)vs.Chi,vs.Wash
    drg=(4)@Sd,@Sea,@Car,@Min

So in my opinion I have the Rams winning the 4 vwg and 1 thg and 1 of the
    drg for a final record of (10-6).

Seahawks (4-1)
    vwg=(7)@KC,vs.Oak,@SF,vs.GB,@Az,vs.SF,@TB
    thg=(3)vs.Minn,vs.Rams,vs.Sd
    drg=(1)@Den
    Final Record (13-3)

Bears (6-0)
    vwg=(6)vs.SF,vs.Mia,@Jets,vs.TB,vs.Det,vs.GB
    thg=(1)vs.Minn
    drg=(3)@NYG,@NE,@Rams
    Final Record (14-2)

Vikings (3-2)
    vwg=(7)@SF,vs.GB,@Mia,vsAz,@Det,vs.Jets,vs.GB
    thg=(2)vs.NE,vs.Rams
    drg=(2)@Sea,@Chi
    Final Record (10-6)

Saints (5-1)
    vwg=(2)@TB,vs.SF
    thg=(4)vs.Bal,vs.Cin,vs.Wash,vs.Car
    drg=(4)@Pitts,@Atl,@Dal,@NYG
    Final Record (10-6)

Panthers (4-2)
    vwg=(1)vs.TB
    thg=(5)vs.Dal,vs.Rams,vs.Phl,vs.NYG,vs.Pitts
    drg=(4)@Cin,@Wash,@Atl,@NO
    Final Record (11-5)

Falcons (3-2)
    vwg=(3)@Det,vs.Cleve,@TB
    thg=(4)vs.Pitts,vs.NO,vs.Dal,vs.Car
    drg=(4)@Cin,@Bal,@Wash,@Phl
    Final Record (9-7)

Eagles (4-2)
    vwg=(2)@TB,vs.Tenn
    thg=(3)vs.Jax,vs.Wash,vs.Atl
    drg=(5)@Indy,@Car,@Wash,@NYG,@Dal
    Final Record (10-6)

Cowboys (3-2)
    vwg=(3)@Az,vs.TB,vs.Det
    thg=(4)vs.NYG,vs.Indy,vs.NO,vs.Phl
    drg=(4)@Car,@Wash,@NYG,@Atl
    Final Record (10-6)

Giants (3-2)
    vwg=(3)vs.TB,vs.Hou,@Tenn
    thg=(4)vs.Chi,vs.Dal,vs.Phl,vs.NO
    drg=(4)@Dal,@Jax,@Car,@Wash
    Final Record (10-6)

Final Standings:

NFC WEST
    Seahawks(13-3)
    Rams(10-6)
    Cards(whatever)
    Whiners(whatever)

NFC NORTH
    Bears(14-2)
    Vikings(10-6)
    Lions(whatever)
    Packers(whatever)

NFC SOUTH
    Panthers(11-5)
    Saints(10-6)
    Falcons(9-7)
    Buccaneers(whatever)

NFC EAST
    Eagles(10-6)
    Cowboys(10-6)
    Giants(10-6)
    Redskins(whatever)

The way I have this playing out the Rams are going to be in a 5 way tie for one of the 2 wildcard spots. The last game of the season we play @ Minn..
    That game is going to be huge. Head to Head is a key factor in tiebreaker situations. There are a several categories that apply to the tiebreaker procedures. For the rules go to (http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakers).

This has been fun and I hope for some feed back on how others in the Clan see the rest of the season playing out.

To answer the original question, Will the Rams be a playoff team at seasons end? Yes, by the hair of their chinny chin chin. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

:r :r :r
    Last edited by laram0; -10-21-2006 at 09:21 AM.

playboy37 is offline Registered User

Re: Rams....playoffs?..playoffs?

I think we go 12-4 or 11-5 at worse. I really cant see us loosing more than 3 more games no matter the competition, unless the injury bug hits, bye week = perfect time.

LaRamsFanLongTime is offline Registered User

Re: Rams....playoffs?..playoffs?

Seahawks(13-3)
    This team has shown some inconsistancy this year and just lost their qb for 3 weeks. Not to mention that for the rest of the season his mobility will be affected. Anytime you sprain your knee it will be sore till the off season. I redally think that this Rams team can and will challenge for the division.

With the way this wild NFC has been so far this year with just about every team upsetting someone things will be pretty interesting by playoff time. The only team that has looked consistant is the Bears but they did almost blow it in AZ and Grossman looked like he will force the ball when in trouble. I dont see a playoff picture really developing for at least 3 to 4 more weeks.
    LET'S GO DODGERS