RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

'07 FA's and Production - A Wait & See Approach.

I hate this time of year. Not only due to the lack of real football (no, Arena Football doesn't qualify as real football anymore than does playing Madden...) but also because of all the speculation concerning Free Agency and the draft.

Don't get me wrong. Speculating on each FA and draft pick and how they would fit in with the team is exciting, but also can be scary. Seriously, imagine if we had signed Lelie. Or Arlen Harris.

So far, I like the two signings. Hall I do not know a lot about, but according to the info I have found, he appears to be an upgrade over what we had for the past couple of years. Bennett, well, he's not Curtis, but seems to fit the needs. I don't know how many times I heard an announcer saying the Rams lacked a tall threat at WR. Curtis had the speed, but not the size.

All we can do right now is hope that the FO knows what it is doing, and that these guys fit in their roles well and do a fantastic job. Until the season begins, we won't have a clue as to how well they fit.

For those who have been fans of the Rams since the 90's, consider this: The Rams signed a player who had a not-so-good attitude, and his first three years in the NFL showed some sorry trends in his stats...his first year he did good, 314 attempts for 1282 yards, but then his 2nd year he declined to 289 attempts for 1098 yards. His 3rd year was worse. 198 tries for 587 yards. YPC went from 4.1 down to 3.0.
    Traditionally, a rookie is supposed to find his 'stride' in his 3rd year. Apparently, this guy didn't. I'm sure that numbers like this raised a lot of eyebrows, yet the Rams traded off two draft picks for this guy.

Sounds like the Rams really screwed up if you only looked at the info I gave you. Yet, nothing could be further from the truth. The guy I am talking about? None other than Marshall Faulk.

Just like fans had to do after Faulk was signed, all we can do is wait and see...and hope our FA signings work out.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Re: '07 FA's and Production - A Wait & See Approach.

Where Did You Get Your Stats At Man They Dont Compute Man..

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    Where Did You Get Your Stats At Man They Dont Compute Man..
    Sure they do, those were his stats from his first 3 seasons.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

For those who have been fans of the Rams since the 90's, consider this: The Rams signed a player who had a not-so-good attitude, and his first three years in the NFL showed some sorry trends in his stats...his first year he did good, 314 attempts for 1282 yards, but then his 2nd year he declined to 289 attempts for 1098 yards. His 3rd year was worse. 198 tries for 587 yards. YPC went from 4.1 down to 3.0.
    Traditionally, a rookie is supposed to find his 'stride' in his 3rd year. Apparently, this guy didn't. I'm sure that numbers like this raised a lot of eyebrows, yet the Rams traded off two draft picks for this guy.
    The part you left out, though, is that Faulk's third year in Indianapolis, he was hindered by an injury early in the season, and he had two more good years after that before we signed him. It's not like we traded for him immediately after his worst season. When we signed him, he was coming off a year with 1,319 yards on the ground plus another 908 receiving. I get where you're going with this, but I think you're exaggerating the gamble on Faulk.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    The part you left out, though, is that Faulk's third year in Indianapolis, he was hindered by an injury early in the season, and he had two more good years after that before we signed him. It's not like we traded for him immediately after his worst season. When we signed him, he was coming off a year with 1,319 yards on the ground plus another 908 receiving. I get where you're going with this, but I think you're exaggerating the gamble on Faulk.
    Not exaggerating. Fans love to look at numbers, and numbers don't tell the whole story. We've picked up a lot of players with great stats who were busts, and vice versa.

My point is that until the season is here, we don't have a clue what will happen. For all we know, Eric Moore might have a blowout year, and end up being a one-man defensive juggernaut.

All we can do is wait and see.