Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Re: Rams select Chris Long with the first pick

What the draft guides say about Chris Long:

Pro Football Weekly: #5 player overall, #2 at DE behind Vernon Gholston.
    2007 Atlantic Coast Conference Defensive Player of the Year.
    Son of Raiders Hall of Fame defensive end Howie Long. Three-year starter at defensive end.
    2005 statistics: 46 tackles, 10 for loss, 2 sacks, 26 quarterback hurries.
    2006: 57 tackles, 12 for loss, 4 sacks, 21 QB hurries.
    2007: 75 tackles, 19 for loss, 14 sacks, 7 pass deflections, 1 interception, 1 blocked kick.

Positives: Outstanding hand use. Tremendous technician who is extremely well-coached. Excellent motor and intensity. Explodes out of his stance and has quick first step. Athletic enough to drop into coverage. Strong, physical tackler. Physically and mentally tough. Very strong, can power through a double-team and plays with impressive leverage against the run. Relentless, versatile and a leader.

Negatives: Showed he could be contained against top competition. Can be outmatched by large linemen like Jeff Otah. Does not have elite speed off the edge.

Tremendous leader and football player who more than compensates for any perceived shortcomings with unparalleled effort, tenacity and technique. Understands how to win his battle and is prepared for any test. A winner.

Scout.com: Top DE available; #3 player overall (after Darren McFadden and Glenn Dorsey).
    At defensive end, was ranked as the best run stopper.
    Projected as the franchise pick and instant impact player at the position.

Positives: Exemplifies toughness. Maniacal drive to succeed. Quality individual and player. Excellent use of hands,
    pursuit and leverage. Gets off, sees the play and reacts quickly. Excellent play range and backside pursuit.
    Great core strength. Ultimate team player. Best defensive player in the country.
    Other rankings: Rick Gosselin: #3 player in the draft after Glenn Dorsey and Darren McFadden.
    NFLDraftScout.com: Top player overall.

NFL.com: One of the most dominant defensive players in college football. Besides his 14 sacks in 2007, he also scored 23 quarterback pressures, broke up nine passes and forced two fumbles. Won the Ted Hendricks Award as the nation's top defensive end.

Positives: Explosive initial step. Raw, natural power. When his technique is good he does a stellar job of clogging rush lanes and collapsing the pocket. Good feet and body control. High motor. Picks things up quickly. Plays through pain. Always in the right place to make the play. Great work ethic and team leader. Very good stamina. Physically dominant player who demands double-teams. Doesn't give up much ground when double-teamed. Strong inside run defender. Quick, strong hands. Destroys fullbacks who get in his path. Good bull rusher.

Negatives: Lacks suddenness off the snap and won't catch blockers napping. Struggles to shed a blocker who locks on to his jersey, needs to be more active with his hands. Susceptible to low blocks and must use spin move more to slip off of double teams. Can be engulfed by larger blockers and plays better on the move. Inadequate closing burst might make him a better fit lined up at tackle in a 4-3.

Compares to: Aaron Kampman.

Fun fact: Chris was named Hummer's "Top Rookie 2008" before he was even drafted! He received a Hummer H2 for
    winning the award.

RamView: Chris Long is the perfect fit here. He's the most complete defensive player in the draft and
    fills a position where the Rams are in dire need. He immediately improves the Ram pass rush without giving up ground against the run. He's likely to become the anchor of the defensive line in the next couple of years, so his leadership and work ethic will serve him well. If the Rams didn't hit a home run here, they hit a bases-loaded triple. Thumbs way up

majorram is offline Registered User

Re: 2008 NFL DRAFT RAMS PICK (Round 1, 2nd overall): Chris Long, DE, Virginia

A great safe pick for our Rams...

steve
    "The breakfast Club"

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

NFL Draft Scout on the Rams' pick of Chris Long: The Rams ultimately decided on Long over Glenn Dorsey and Vernon Gholston because in Long, the team received the best combination of immediate impact potential, team need and, most important (considering the financial ramifications of a top two pick), safety. With the Rams generating only 5.5 sacks from their ends last season, they made the right choice.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

blood85 is offline Registered User

I'm STOKED!! Can't wait to see how our Defense plays with the addition of Long. Welcome to the Family Chris Long. Now, let's see what other picks we can get.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Best possible pick for the Rams weather he is Aarron Kampman, Patrick Kerney, or Jared Allen he is going to be a beast for us

Why the Rams liked Chris Long
    By Jeff Gordon
    04/26/2008 2:54

Rams coach Scott Linehan pointed to the intangible qualities he brings to the team.

“He just brings energy and life to the building,” Linehan said. “At the end of the day, he was just what the doctor ordered.”

Here were some other highlights from the media briefing:

–The Rams were locked in on Chris Long for some time. Only Jake Long — and not Glenn Dorsey — could have moved the team off that pick.

–The Rams did not pull away from Dorsey because of medical concerns. “There wasn’t anything to make us stay away from Dorsey,” personnel czar Billy Devaney said.

–Other teams inquired about the second overall pick, but no team wowed the Rams with an offer.

–Keeping Adam Carriker at defensive tackle was another reason to take Long. “I like playing guys where they play,” said Linehan, proving he’s no Mike Martz when it comes to the draft.

“Adam made great strides there,” Linehan said. “I’d like to see Adam more in the ‘3′ technique.”

–Although Long played defensive end in the 3-4, as Carriker did, the Rams believe he can line up wide in the 4-3 and become an effective pass rusher.

–The Rams expect Long to start and become a three-down player, working equally well against the run and the pass.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams DE Chris Long

April 26, 2008

(On being selected by the Rams)

“That was the most exhilarating moment of my life and I can’t wait to get out there and start working. It’s been crazy. I didn’t know it was going to be me until the Commissioner called my name.”

(On when he knew the Rams were interested in him)

“I knew the Rams were interested in me but as you get closer, crazy things happen. Everybody that was in New York said the Rams were interested in all six of us. In the end it comes down to needs and the way it falls in the building. Luckily enough, I’m so appreciative of the fact that I had enough guys who wanted me to be in St. Louis.”

(On Coach Scott Linehan’s announcement that he will be the starting right end)

“I don’t see it that way. I will have to earn whatever I get. There are guys that have been busting their tails there and make no mistake about it, my first order of business is to come in and try to work hard and earn the respect of the veterans and learn from them.”

(On what separated him from other potential draft picks)

“I think it just comes down to needs. Glenn (Dorsey) would have been a great pick, too. Some other people might have been good picks. He shot out of there and was great inside and it just came down to needs.”

(On not liking to be called a ‘high motor’ player and what he prefers to be called)

“I’m passionate and I love the game. I work very hard and I’m going to have to pick it up even more to be a pro athlete and I understand that. I feel like everybody who has gotten to this point has to have a high motor and has to work hard. I just play the game the way it is supposed to be played and I think sometimes when people call you ‘high motor,’ they don’t look at you for athletic ability. I think I have some, but I work very hard.”

(On his relationship with his Dad and being ‘Howie’s kid’)

“It’s okay because first and foremost I am me and I’m going to forge my own career. That’s what I’m in the process of doing. If it’s added pressure or motivation, I love that. I’ll put it on my shoulders and I’m going to try to work as hard as I can to forge my own career. There is no jealously here. It’s my Dad. I love my Dad. I just hope I can do half of what he did.”

(On what he knows about St. Louis)

“I know it’s a great city. I know when I visited I couldn’t go in the Arch and I want to go in the Arch, so if you all could hook it up.”

(On why he couldn’t go in the Arch)

“I didn’t have time. The first thing I am going to do when I get there is I’m going to go in the Arch. I know Marques Hagans is there and I played with Marques Hagans and he loves that organization and he said great things. I really like the coaches – Coach Haslett, Coach Baker, Coach Linehan – got to meet Billy Devaney and really enjoyed talking to him. I’m just excited about the whole thing.

(On if he can help the Rams generate more sacks from the defensive end position)

I hope so. I’m just going to come in there – and I’m a day-to-day guy. I’m not going to set any big goals. I’m just going to try to chip away and make sure people think I’m worth the pick and worth the money because this is a big investment and I’m just humbled and honored.

(On how important it is for him to avoid a holdout and be in camp on time)

It’s very important to me. When I grew up watching people miss out on camp and stuff like that I just didn’t get it. I want to be a good teammate and I want to set my best foot forward and I don’t want to show up when people have already started working. I’m going to do my best to get into camp – everything in my power.

(On his dad’s reaction to his selection)

He was relieved. I just told him that I loved him and he told me the same and I just thanked him for sticking with me through this because he’s been more nervous than me really.

(On what the rest of his day will be like)

I have no idea what the rest of the day is. Right now I’m just moving from room to room. No matter what happens I’m on cloud nine. I couldn’t be happier. It’s the best day of my life.

(On if his dad will get mad at Terry Bradshaw if he says anything bad about the Rams)

My dad will just chill and be a professional. What he does and what I do or what I will do I’m sure it complicates things but he’ll do his job just fine I’m sure.

Rambos is online now Registered User

I can't wait too see Carriker and Long play on our D-Line.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Re: With the 2nd pick of the 2008 NFL Draft, the Rams select Chris Long, DE, Virginia

This is an excellent pick. If LL comes back healthy, look out NFC West.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

I was hoping that we would pick Chris Long. He looks like a good fit for the defense.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

maverickcav is offline Registered User

Chris Long

I have a interesting perspective on Chris Long from that of a 30-year Rams fan and from that of a free-lance sportswriter that has covered the Cavaliers and Chris the last 4 seasons. I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone may have about Chris.

I was very disappointed in 2004 when the Atlanta Falcons drafted Matt Schaub knowing the Rams were actually on the phone with Matt telling him he would be their selection with the next pick. The call waiting was from the Falcons telling him they had taken Schaub.

I'm elated that this time one of my all-time favorite Wahoos is playing with my favorite NFL club.

GO RAMS!!

viper is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I can't wait too see Carriker and Long play on our D-Line.
    I agree, Carriker and Long are both well respected playmakers that will anchor our defensive line for years to come. Including Clifton Ryan, we are suddenly a very young and very strong defensive line. Excellent addition to our defense.Go Rams!!!
    Last edited by viper; -04-26-2008 at 10:04 PM.

Long Ready to Get Started
    Saturday, April 26, 2008

By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

NEW YORK – In the minutes following the moment she officially became the mother of the second pick in the NFL Draft, Diane Long found herself on the telephone with her son’s new boss, Rams coach Scott Linehan.

But she wasn’t about to let the chance to capture the most important moment in Chris Long’s life get away. So, she did what any mother would do, she put Linehan on hold.

“It was thrilling to speak to him, he was wonderful but I had to keep putting him on hold because Chris was on stage and then the commissioner was speaking,” Diane Long said. “I said I am really sorry that I have to put my son’s new boss on hold but I really don’t know what else to do.”

Of course, Linehan understood the significance of the moment and gladly waited. For the fast, energetic Long, the waiting and months of being on hold are finally over.

After much internal debate, the Rams finally entrenched Long as their pick late Friday night. There were some semi-serious trade discussions Saturday morning, but ultimately the opportunity to add a player the caliber of Long at a position of such intense need was too great to pass up.

“At the end of the day, Chris was really what the doctor ordered not only for our defense or our football team, but for our organization, because of his ability level, he’s pretty darn good, and what he can do for a team in the defensive line, in the pass-rush part of things and being an every-down player, but just what he’ll be able to bring to the team as far as all that other stuff,” Linehan said.

To call this week dizzying for the Rams and for Long would be a vast understatement. On Thursday afternoon Long said he didn’t view the NFL Draft as a competition and was prepared to just let the chips fall where they may.

In fact, Long had spent most of the week trying to keep his Hall of Fame father, Howie Long, calm. Howie Long had been far more nervous and excitable than his son for most of the week.

“It’s ironic that he was talking me down,” Howie Long said. “But you know when it’s your kid you are a little more sensitive, you take things a little harder, and you just wish the best for him.”

Chris Long spent most of the week in New York with the other invited prospects and his mother. By the time his father arrived Friday night, he was still relatively calm. But by Saturday afternoon when the Rams came on the clock, his tune changed quite a bit.

Sitting in the green room waiting to hear his name, Long had come to terms with the fact that he really wanted to be a Ram and the moment of truth was fast approaching.

“I was nervous when the clock hit about seven minutes to go when the Rams were on the clock,” Chris Long said. “Then it kind of hit me and my heart pounded out of my chest. I just tried to hide it.”

The emotion of the Long family was difficult to hide in the moments after the Rams selected Chris. It had been a long time in the making, according to Diane Long.

Growing up in California where his father was a star for the Raiders, Long was gangly and “a bit awkward” according to his mother. The Long family relocated to Virginia when Chris was 9.

It wasn’t until he was about 14 or 15 that Long grew into his body and discovered that football was his passion.

Never was there a point where he feared the comparisons to his father or tried to live up to the expectations of what his father had done in the game.

“Chris is pretty well equipped to deal with comparisons,” Diane Long said. “Even as a kid it kind of rolled off his back. I really think he was able to find his way and never have to worry about any of that.”

As Long began to find his way in the game, the family encouraged his participation. At no point did Long buy into any kind of privileged situation, developing a passion and work ethic that was a big reason for the Rams’ selecting him.

“I’m passionate and I love the game,” Long said. “I work very hard and I’m going to have to pick it up even more to be a pro athlete and I understand that.”

After putting together an outstanding college career at Virginia, where he had his number retired, Long was widely regarded as a top prospect. Of course, he dealt with constant comparisons and questions about his famous father along the way.

As recently as Thursday, Long said he was unconcerned with where he would land and what team would take him. Somewhere, in the back of his mind, though, Long knew he wanted to be a Ram.

“I wanted to go to St. Louis the whole time,” Long said. “I had an open mind this morning when I woke up and I just tried to stay as calm as possible. When I knew that I was going to be a St. Louis Ram, it just a huge adrenaline rush. It’s the best moment of my life.”

Right after his selection, Long began making the rounds around Radio City Music Hall. One of the first people he spoke to was Rams running back Steven Jackson, who was in town for some promotional work and stopped by to say hi to his newest teammate.

After that, Long went downstairs to the media room for Round 1 of interviews. He then went to a side room for more interviews. After addressing the various Charlottesville media, Long was asked to speak to the fans in Tokyo.

As he watched his son do his final round of interviews, Howie Long crossed paths with the newest Raider, Arkansas running back Darren McFadden. Long told McFadden, “That hat looks good on you.”

In an instant, Long was done with the media session and saying his goodbyes with his parents but not before he could voice his approval in his father’s choice of headwear, a brand new Rams cap.

“That hat looks good on you, Dad,” Chris Long told his proud father.

Off into the New York afternoon he went, ready for the next chapter in what he hopes is a long NFL career that has only just begun.

“Chris is excited, he’s ready to go to work and get started,” Howie Long said. “I wouldn’t be surprised if he is in the gym tonight.”

It wouldn’t surprise anyone if the gym is exactly where Long spends his draft night. After all, the time for waiting is over.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

How can you not like this pick?

With a DL of Long, Carriker, Ryan and Little (with Hall, Glover, Adeyanju and, hopefully, Wroten contributing), I have high hopes for the defense.

Great pick. What else can I say?

thoey is offline Registered User

Wow... I know we really could not have done wrong with any of the big four, but I am so happy we got this guy.
    This space for rent...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast