Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Re: 2008 NFL DRAFT RAMS PICK (Round 1, 2nd overall): Chris Long, DE, Virginia

My question is, what number will he wear? Perhapse #98 in honor of a former Ram DE great?

JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Rambos is offline Registered User

My question is, what number will he wear? Perhapse #98 in honor of a former Ram DE great?
    75 in honor of dad

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

This will be the best (and for some reason, it seems right now) the most underrated selection of the 2008 NFL draft. People have branded it the "safe pick". Said that the value or the impact potential could've been higher with another prospect. But the reality is that we're not getting a "Godlike" player who's going to "tear it up" on turf. We're not getting the physical specimen that is Glenn Dorsey. Simply, what we're getting is better.

We're getting a motor. A high octane player who was the heart and soul of his collegiate defense. A player who doesn't have any injury concerns, and doesn't disappear. A player who is the most markedly consistent achiever in this draft. A player who doesn't "take plays off". A high character son of a Hall of Fame DE.

Oh, and to boot, he addresses our greatest area of weakness of the defensive side of the ball.

I love this pick.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I didn't get around to expressing my approval of this pick earlier because it almost went without saying. People made it out like he wouldn't be a great pass rusher, but I think he has the potential to be one of the best to come along in a very long time. He has a fast first step, impressive strength, great instincts, and a wide variety of pass rush moves. I can't wait to see him in action.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams drafted the man more than the player
    By Bernie Miklasz
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    04/27/2008

In one respect, the Rams' draft process worked to perfection. Billy Devaney was brought in to run the show, and he did. Devaney's influence carried the day when the Rams made Virginia defensive end Chris Long their first-round draft pick, and the No. 2 overall selection.

And Devaney managed to unite the draft room and get everyone on board for the most part, despite strong support for LSU defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey.

However, it also seems that the Rams were as strange as ever. In the days leading into the draft, Long was only the fourth-rated player on their board. The team adjusted the rankings late in the week to be able to present the appropriate post-draft spin that had Long and Dorsey listed as virtual equals.

It's impossible to dislike Chris Long and what he stands for. I think he'll play here for a long time, and be a very good player and possibly a great one. There are no questions about his character, Hall of Fame bloodlines, competitiveness, intelligence and relentless desire to maximize his ability.

And as a bonus, Long is undoubtedly a popular choice with fans. The Rams, who need a public-relations boost, will sell some tickets after making Long their knight in shining armor.

Still, I wonder

What is the point of spending millions of dollars on scouting and research to examine players, only to ignore your pre-draft grades on the top candidates?

It's just a curious way of doing business.

Hey, at least the Rams are awfully enthusiastic about Long. And if he's the one they wanted, that's all that matters. I've reported on NFL drafts over the last 25 years, and I've never seen two football people as excited and reverential as Devaney and coach Scott Linehan were Saturday as they swooned over Long.

I wasn't sure whether the Rams wanted to draft Long or take him to the prom.

"You are going to get a chance to meet this guy," Linehan said. "You are just going to find out all the things we're telling you about him. I can't wait for this next season. I am a little geeked up right now, but what is going to be really fun for me and for you all is to get a chance to meet this individual. You know a lot about his profile, just wait until you get to meet him and I think you all will understand what we are talking about here."

And the St. Louis sports media's reaction to the Long pick? I've seen something like this before: the shrieking audience when the Beatles played the Ed Sullivan Theater.

The Rams only talked a little about the football skills when they explained their fondness for Long. Most of the praise flowed from their feelings about him as a man. Devaney and Linehan cited the many conversations they had with Long, and with his father, NFL Hall of Famer Howie Long.

"While we were back there (Virginia), we met with Howie, had coffee and talked about the Ram organization and about St. Louis and how great a fit we thought this would be for Chris," Devaney said. "Then we brought Chris in last week with the other candidates and it just became apparent the more time that we spent with Chris Long, independent of the physical skills the more time we spent with the person we just saw what he brings to the organization."

This may be the first time I've seen a team draft a kid because he's a charming conversationalist.

I believe character is important. Anytime the Rams can add a first-rate individual to the locker room, that's a plus. But did they attach enough importance to, well, you know the football part? Can Long blow up an offensive line? Can he get to the quarterback on a consistent basis in the NFL?

"I guess you just use your common sense and you break down what we need is what he brings as far as a football player, but it goes deeper than that," Linehan said. "This kid just brings energy and life to the building."

And it's also clear that the Rams were drafting Howie, too. He seemed to be as much in their thoughts as Chris.

Linehan explained that a big part of the Long appeal was "what he will be able to do and bring to the team as far as all that other stuff. He inherited all those things from his father (and mother). This is really what we were looking for."

The Rams drafted the person more than the player.

What we have here at Rams Park is a big-time man crush.

And if Chris Long can find his way to the QB as easily as he found his way into the Rams' fluttering hearts, the team made the right choice.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Rams go Long
    By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Sunday, Apr. 27 2008

Chris Long wants to see the Gateway Arch as soon as he gets to St. Louis.

The Rams want to see sacks from Long as soon as he gets here.

Straying from their final board to address a major need, the Rams selected
    Long, a defensive end from the University of Virginia, with the No. 2 overall
    pick in the draft Saturday.

"We really like his ability to rush the passer," said Billy Devaney, the Rams'
    executive vice president of player personnel.

Operating in a 3-4 defensive front at Virginia, Long played inside a lot but
    still registered 14 sacks last season.

"We plan to utilize him out in space more," Devaney said. "He'll be able to
    show just what kind of athlete he is how good he is coming off the ball, and
    what a good pass rusher he is. ... We really expect big things of him as a pass
    rusher."

The Rams need big things from him as a pass rusher. The team got only 5 1/2
    sacks from its entire defensive end corps last season. Although he had only
    seven sacks total in his first three seasons at Virginia, Long blossomed as a
    pass rusher in his senior year.

His 14 sacks in 2007 tied for third in the nation. He also registered 23
    quarterback pressures with nine pass deflections. Those totals helped Long
    son of Hall of Famer Howie Long earn Atlantic Coast Conference defensive
    player of the year laurels. He also won the Ted Hendricks Award, which goes to
    college football's top defensive end.

When asked if he could help the Rams' pass rush, Long replied, "I hope so. I'm
    a day-to-day guy. I'm not going to set any big goals. I'm just going to try to
    chip away and make sure people think I'm worth the pick and worth the money,
    because this is a big investment, and I'm just humbled and honored."

Long began the week ranked No. 4 on the Rams' draft board behind LSU defensive
    tackle Glenn Dorsey (1), Arkansas running back Darren McFadden (2) and Michigan
    offensive tackle Jake Long (3).

Although Dorsey still ended up the top-ranked player on the Rams' board, the
    final "tweaked" rankings, which apparently occurred Thursday night, had Chris
    Long rated much closer to Dorsey, according to a team source.

"The only thing I can say is everybody tweaks their board right up until the
    end, and that's from top to bottom," Devaney said. "We had some late medical
    information on people, where we took some people off of our board that were
    possible mid-round picks.

"You find out some character information as you go along late in the process,
    and you kind of move some guys around. ... There's fine-tuning right up to the
    very end. And did we do that? Absolutely. So did 31 other teams."

Team sources said no late medical information came up regarding Dorsey.

When asked why the team picked Long over Dorsey, Rams coach Scott Linehan said,
    "It's close, because they're both great players. >From the very beginning that
    was really the hardest part. It's kind of like you pick one of your children or
    something.

"But at the end of the day, Chris was really what the doctor ordered, not only
    for our defense, or our football team ... but just what he will be able to do
    and bring to the team as far as all the (intangibles)."

There was plenty of support for Dorsey in the building, including defensive
    coordinator Jim Haslett.

"I love Dorsey," Haslett said. "I think he's a monster inside. He's one of
    those guys that comes along about once every 10 years. But to find defensive
    ends in this league that are effective and can do a lot of things, they're hard
    to find. Chris kind of falls into that category."

It's not as if Haslett was banging the table for Dorsey.

"I was happy we got either one," Haslett said. "If we'd have gotten an
    offensive lineman, I would've been happy because I know we would like to run
    the ball, too. I think our choices that we had in Jake Long and Chris Long and
    Dorsey, you can't go wrong."

Team sources said there was only one substantial trade scenario that unfolded
    Saturday involving the No. 2 pick, and that was with Baltimore with the No. 8
    pick. But the Ravens were offering only picks, no veteran players.

Linehan immediately named Long the team's starter at right end. But in a
    conference call with reporters in St. Louis, Long said he was taking nothing
    for granted.

"I'm going to have to earn whatever I get," Long said. "There are guys that
    have been busting their tails there. Make no mistake about it, my first order
    of business is to come in and try to work hard and earn the respect of the
    veterans and learn from them."

Long was in St. Louis two weeks ago for his pre-draft visit with the Rams.

"I know it's a great city," he said. "When I visited, I couldn't go in the
    Arch. I want to go in the Arch, so if you all could hook it up. ..."

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    75 in honor of dad
    Perhaps. I wonder what Deacon would have to say about that one? I guess if the organization is okay with Claude Terrell sporting #75, they'd better be okay with Chris Long doing it. Still, I wouldn't be surprised to see him choose something else. Chris sounds like he's the adoring son but I suspect a part of his drive is proving his worth as his own person and not getting by on his dad's reputation. That might prompt him to choose another number as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    "But at the end of the day, Chris was really what the doctor ordered, not only for our defense, or our football team ... but just what he will be able to do and bring to the team as far as all the (intangibles)."
    Given all the debating about Dorsey and his health status, did anyone else get a bit of a laugh from Linehan describing Long in this fashion?
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamOfDenmark Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    This will be the best (and for some reason, it seems right now) the most underrated selection of the 2008 NFL draft. People have branded it the "safe pick". Said that the value or the impact potential could've been higher with another prospect. But the reality is that we're not getting a "Godlike" player who's going to "tear it up" on turf. We're not getting the physical specimen that is Glenn Dorsey. Simply, what we're getting is better.

We're getting a motor. A high octane player who was the heart and soul of his collegiate defense. A player who doesn't have any injury concerns, and doesn't disappear. A player who is the most markedly consistent achiever in this draft. A player who doesn't "take plays off". A high character son of a Hall of Fame DE.

Oh, and to boot, he addresses our greatest area of weakness of the defensive side of the ball.

I love this pick.
    I was going to post. But you just said it all. This will be a fantastic pick for us I believe! I'm happier with this first round pick than I have been with any other since I think Steven Jackson.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Chris was really what the doctor ordered
    Missed that one.

Yeah C Long is his own man.

With Long and Little I hope we don't stop using Spoon as a pass rusher. He was a real force late last year.

Still, I wonder

What is the point of spending millions of dollars on scouting and research to examine players, only to ignore your pre-draft grades on the top candidates?
    Bernie, he was 4th on our board, Jake was gone so that makes him 3. Running back, we are set. Now he is 2, IF AC was not taken last year he would have been the pick. Heck why did the Rams not take McFadden he graded out the highest.

In the second the Rams did stick to their board and I bet I can find where you ripped them for doing so. They took the guy they graded the highest and the best fit for the Rams.

Bernie, he was 4th on our board, Jake was gone so that makes him 3. Running back, we are set. Now he is 2, IF AC was not taken last year he would have been the pick. Heck why did the Rams not take McFadden he graded out the highest.
    Good points. Plus, Bernie's logic can be argued the other way as well. Whether they're to be believed or not, some reports indicated that while some defensive coaches preferred Dorsey, Billy Devaney was in the Chris Long camp. So had they gone Dorsey, you'd have to turn this back to Bernie and ask what is the point of bringing in a top personnel guy only to defer to the opinions and desire of the coaching staff?

In the second the Rams did stick to their board and I bet I can find where you ripped them for doing so. They took the guy they graded the highest and the best fit for the Rams.
    Actually it seems as if Bernie has been one of those defending the Avery pick. A couple of the posts he made on his message board should be in the Avery thread.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Ramer Guest

Chris Long has just improved our defense dramatically. I give the Rams an A with their 1st pick.

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

Re: #1 2008 NFL DRAFT RAMS PICK (Round 1, 2nd overall): Chris Long, DE, Virginia

Now we have the making of a front four that will be menacing to o-lines. SWEEET!!!

Here are some highlights from Chris Longs news conference Sunday afternoon at Rams Park:

On what he likes about joining the Rams: I think schematically, the coaching staff, everything Ive heard about the city and the organization. The combination of those things and the people that I have met here and obviously their position in the draft. It all made sense to me that this would be the place for me to be. I wouldnt rather have it any other way.

I know Marques (Hagans) real well. I was very excited for the fact that we will be reunited here. Hes one of the best teammates Ive ever had. Marc Bulger called me yesterday and I had about a five minute conversation with him. It was really encouraging to just hear how cool he was. Hes like Hey you can crash at my place if you need a place to stay in the mean time. Any questions you have, I can answer them. And thats a relief. It speaks volumes for this organization. He is the face of this franchise and the leader. I also talked to LaRoi Glover as well. Someone that I grew up watching back when I was a kid and now Im going to hopefully be able to learn a lot from him.

On learning the position from Leonard Little: The first thing I want to do here is learn from the veterans and establish myself in the locker room because Im not a guy who takes anything for granted and I know I have a lot to learn. Any guy like that, Leonard Little, LaRoi Glover, Adam (Carriker), any of those guys that are willing to help me, I would love to be helped. I need help. Im a young guy. Ill be the first to admit that Ive got a lot to learn. I cant wait to work with guys like that. Whatever they are willing to do, Im receptive to that.

On benefiting from his lifelong exposure to the NFL as Howie Longs son: I think that because of the fact that there is more pressure in my situation growing up that it has probably given me a bit of a mental edge. But at this point we are all equal as rookies. We have all been through college football for four or five years, so I dont have any advantage over the guys now. I think the game has changed a lot since my dad played and since I grew up around that game. Im new to it, just like he is new to the process as well.

On his leadership potential: I think you are who you are throughout this whole process. As a teammate and a player, passion is not something that you can contrive and neither is leadership. I think these things come naturally to some people. I dont think of myself as a leader or anybody out of the ordinary. I just do what comes naturally to me as a person and as a teammate and subsequently as a player. If Im able to be a leader, great, but Im going to come in and try to be the same guy everyday.

On his skill level: I need to work on everything. My technique might be good relative to some guys but I dont think technically the college game, especially with defensive lineman, is too high of a level. I really have to step my game up in some of these phases. I mean the press conference would go on for hours if I talked about what I need to get better at.

On his ability to rush and stop the rush: Versatility is something that I feel that I can bring to a team. I think its fun to play a number of different spots. To have a number of different responsibilities is something that I did at Virginia. Obviously thats the college level and this is the pro level. I think really what I have to do is get just good enough to get on the field and do one thing well. Im willing to do anything that coach wants me to do. I cant wait to lineup anywhere on the field.
    I challenge someone to read this and not be blown away by how amazing this guy sounds.
    Last edited by Nick; -04-28-2008 at 03:07 AM.

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Re: #1 2008 NFL DRAFT RAMS PICK (Round 1, 2nd overall): Chris Long, DE, Virginia

Solid #1 pick! Lets hope Chris goes a Long way with the Rams! Welcome, Christopher Howard Long!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I challenge someone to read this and not be blown away by how amazing this guy sounds.
    He knows the right things to say. He sounds humble and ready to learn. Having some inside information from Hagans is good, and getting a call and invitation from Bulger has got to make him feel welcomed.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast