Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: #1 2008 NFL DRAFT RAMS PICK (Round 1, 2nd overall): Chris Long, DE, Virginia

Alright Nick, I'll accept that challenge. One thing really bothers me about this selection is his speed. The scouting report, not me, says he doesn't have great speed on the outside. Well, if you are the second pick in the draft you better have all the intangibles. One NFL guy said if all things are equal, James Hall beats him out. Huh? That can't be for real right?

Look, the guys a gamer....have to give him that. However, it just seems to me that the Rams are trying very hard to convince everyone that he's the pick when Dorsey was still on the board.

I hope he does well, great actually. However, I'm just lukewarm on him right now.

60611 is offline Registered User

Re: #1 2008 NFL DRAFT RAMS PICK (Round 1, 2nd overall): Chris Long, DE, Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Alright Nick, I'll accept that challenge. One thing really bothers me about this selection is his speed. The scouting report, not me, says he doesn't have great speed on the outside. Well, if you are the second pick in the draft you better have all the intangibles. One NFL guy said if all things are equal, James Hall beats him out. Huh? That can't be for real right?

Look, the guys a gamer....have to give him that. However, it just seems to me that the Rams are trying very hard to convince everyone that he's the pick when Dorsey was still on the board.

I hope he does well, great actually. However, I'm just lukewarm on him right now.
    Doesn't have great speed? Look, he ran faster than Derrick Harvey at the combine, who he outweighs by 25 pounds. The Jaguars gave up alot to trade into, and draft, Harvey in the top 10. Long is not only fast, he's very fast, and particularly so in the first 10 yards. To go along with everything else, Chris IS a freakish athlete, only rivalled by Gholston at the combine.

Quote Originally Posted by 60611 View Post
    Doesn't have great speed? Look, he ran faster than Derrick Harvey at the combine, who he outweighs by 25 pounds. The Jaguars gave up alot to trade into, and draft, Harvey in the top 10. Long is not only fast, he's very fast, and particularly so in the first 10 yards. To go along with everything else, Chris IS a freakish athlete, only rivalled by Gholston at the combine.

Like I stated, just going off what the scouting report says. That's all.

Geez, you already can't be critical of the golden child huh?

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

(On Coach Scott Linehan’s announcement that he will be the starting right end)

“I don’t see it that way. I will have to earn whatever I get. There are guys that have been busting their tails there and make no mistake about it, my first order of business is to come in and try to work hard and earn the respect of the veterans and learn from them.”
    Man, that's just wonderful. I know some won't like the pick (tx, fortu, lebulger), and that's okay.......you've got your reasons. But this kid is saying all the right things so far. Now, as long as he says and DOES all the right things from here on out, we got a winner.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

If you lined up every DL that registered a sack for the Giants in the Super Bowl and had them race Long in a 40 yard dash, Long would win easily.

That said, being a "sack artist" is about more than speed. Its about quickness, moves, leverage and effort. Look at Long's highlight film. Quite a few of his sacks came when he lined up at end and fought through traffic in the middle of the line to get to the QB.

He's has athletic ability, a good head on his shoulders, heart and has been coached since birth by a Hall of Fame DL.

Nitpick if you must, but this is a great selection.

Hey, bit** at me all you want however I'm just erring on the side of caution before I annoint him the next Deacon Jones. I thought the following were great picks for the Rams AT THE TIME:

Damione Lewis
    Jimmy Kennedy
    Eddie Kennison
    Robert Thomas

We all know that these guys I mentioned had big expectationas tabbed to them just like Chris Long.

Forgive me for not being the good cheerleader.

Like I stated, just going off what the scouting report says. That's all.

Geez, you already can't be critical of the golden child huh?
    Well when your facts are plain wrong according to readily available information (i.e. his speed), it's hard to take you seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by 60611 View Post
    Well when your facts are plain wrong according to readily available information (i.e. his speed), it's hard to take you seriously.

So the scouting report, posted by Nick at the start of this thread, did not say this:

Negatives: Lacks suddenness off the snap to surprise a lethargic blocker...Best when taking angles to the quarterback, as he does not have the foot speed to take the wide loop in pursuit
    Must be reading another thread.....

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Forgive me for not being the good cheerleader.
    You make a lousy cheerleader tx, and I have not even seen you in a litte skirt waving your pom poms around.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hey, don't put ideas into BRM's head for the Bash utter....

Seriously, I'm not saying Long isn't going to be a good selection. I hope he turns out to break all of Deacon's records. However, I thought the draft of DLew, Archuleta, and Pickett would be a banner draft and look what happened.

You just never know. I'm optimistic about Chris Long but I'm not going to make him out to be the savior of the defense just yet.

In all honesty, I think I'm being more fair to Chris Long than the lot of you. Why? I don't expect him to be the single thing that changes this defense. I don't think he's Superman. I think he's a very talented DE that's going to help this defense. If he doesn't though, the main reason why will be his initial burst of speed. He has to be able to run through the OT and get an angle to get to the QB, he won't be able to take the sweeping pursuit to the QB that some DE's use. I don't expect him to do that, some of you may.

I'm willing to give him a chance to learn the position in the NFL. Some of you want instant success. That's hard to come by in the NFL.

Just ask Tye Hill.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Yer right tx....I should not be giving BRM any ideas. We have already seen far too much of his legs already.

So Chris Long is not superman or the savior of the defense in your opinion.....probably not, but he has potential and he seems willing to learn. Hopefully the coaches, the players, and the fans will give him a chance to settle in and not expect too much from him too soon. He does have a big spotlight on him right now since he was the 2nd pick of the draft.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Alright Nick, I'll accept that challenge.
    Well, what I was referring to - and I should have been more clear - was being blown away by how amazing he sounds in the sense that he sounds intelligent, mature, and perhaps most of all, humble. It wasn't a challenge to not be blown away by him as a prospect, just the quality of the answers in the interview. I read that interview and I was really just blown away and impressed.

One thing really bothers me about this selection is his speed. The scouting report, not me, says he doesn't have great speed on the outside. Well, if you are the second pick in the draft you better have all the intangibles. One NFL guy said if all things are equal, James Hall beats him out. Huh? That can't be for real right?
    I didn't see that NFL guy's comment, but frankly it sounds pretty ridiculous to me.

As for his speed, he's probably not in that undersized speed-rushing mold of a Freeney or even a Little, but I think as an athlete, his ability and speed are kind of underrated. Just as an example, his 10-yard time at the combine was equal to that of Gholston and better than last year's Gaines Adams. Tests that measured his explosive ability (broad jump, three-cone) were equally impressive and among the best of the class.

Now, what do these tests mean? Maybe they mean nothing. The league is filled with players who blew the roof off their workouts and failed in the NFL, and the Vikings just traded their first round pick and two third round picks for a top pass rusher from Kansas City whose ten-yard split was nearly two tenths of a second worse than Long's.

But again, the point I'm trying to make is I think Long as an athlete is generally underrated. A number of people view him as an "effort guy" kind of like a Wistrom, but I don't think that's all he brings to the table. Remember, this is a guy whom both Miami and New York were looking at as a pass rushing OLB in a 3-4 scheme. I think David hit the nose on the head - a good sack artist isn't just fast, but he's also quick, moves well and shows good agility to cut back and counter, can play with good leverage in case he is engaged, etc.

I think Long, as a pass rushing package, combines those skills. To me, he's just an incredibly well balanced player with the kind of motor and intangibles you'd love to have on every guy on your team. Is he Superman? No. Is he going to be the instant fix for this team? No. But he's a big step in the right direction, IMO.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I've seen mixed reviews about Chris Long's speed. For example, I remember a quote from Gil Brandt about how Long's 40 might not be great, but he thought Chris had a great first step, which in his estimation was far more important for a defensive end. But then other sources say he doesn't have that explosive initial burst. To sum up the problem, you'll see that the NFL.com analysis on him that RamWraith posted states "Explosive initial step" as the first positive on him and "Lacks suddenness off the snap and won't catch blockers napping" as the first negative. All I can figure is that he is explosive but not as explosive as the guys whose main strength is being explosive. I guess.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast