Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: #1 2008 NFL DRAFT RAMS PICK (Round 1, 2nd overall): Chris Long, DE, Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    I've seen mixed reviews about Chris Long's speed. For example, I remember a quote from Gil Brandt about how Long's 40 might not be great, but he thought Chris had a great first step, which in his estimation was far more important for a defensive end. But then other sources say he doesn't have that explosive initial burst. To sum up the problem, you'll see that the NFL.com analysis on him that RamWraith posted states "Explosive initial step" as the first positive on him and "Lacks suddenness off the snap and won't catch blockers napping" as the first negative. All I can figure is that he is explosive but not as explosive as the guys whose main strength is being explosive. I guess.
    Fleece, we can take all those prospect reports and throw them out the window. That might have got them through the draft, but everything has now changed for these kids. Settings, coaches, workouts, schemes, positions (in some cases), lockerrooms.........everything is different and can change the player; some for the better, some for the worse. That's why tx is right when he say the draft is a crapshoot. The draft is based on two things......A) past performance, which is easy to scout, and B) predicting the players that best manage all the change around them, which obviously is more difficult to scout.

As for the prospect reports........they're no better than the person writing them. What we tend to take as gospel is nothing more than opinion, educated or otherwise. Take them for what they're worth.

Will Long turn this defense around? I don't know. But he's got as good a shot of doing it as any other available player in the draft. But hey, who thought guys like Little or Fletcher would have contributed the way they did?

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: #1 2008 NFL DRAFT RAMS PICK (Round 1, 2nd overall): Chris Long, DE, Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    I didn't see that NFL guy's comment
    No one has, Nick. That "quote" came from Bernie. While he was going through his "I said the Rams will take Dorsey, then they took Long, now I look like a bigger joke than normal" tirade against Chris Long, he mentioned that one of his "insiders" ---wink, wink--- made that statement to him.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Wait, I posted a quote from what Nick posted. Nick, it's from what you posted on this thread.

Go look.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Wait, I posted a quote from what Nick posted. Nick, it's from what you posted on this thread.

Go look.
    If you're referring to the stuff in the very first post of the thread that I copied from NFL.com, simply posting it doesn't mean I agree with it all. But I find their stuff (originally from NFL Draft Scout) provides some of the most in-depth and detailed background and analysis at no charge. There are a couple of statements in their analysis of Long (ie. the suggestion that he may be a better fit at 4-3 DT) that I really disagree with.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

ok, just saying I got the reference to his "speed" or lack of it from here. Honestly, I haven't seen him play much.

For those that didn't get a chance to see his Combine workout...

YouTube - Virginia DE Chris Long at the NFL Combine 1

For those that didn't get a chance to see his Combine workout...

YouTube - Virginia DE Chris Long at the NFL Combine 1

RealRam is offline Registered User

Thanks Nick, for the Combine footage of our top pick.

Have been in Mexico for a few weeks to visit my mother (she's 85, not doing well).

Missed the Draft entirely but was so glad to learn on TV that Chris Long became the 1st St. Louis RAM in 2008! Have missed out on much info but I'll try to catch up by coming to -- where else? -- the Clan.

Right now priorities are a bit different.

PS: really like and appreciate new ClanRam look! Thanks, Dez / Mods.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Any word on Howie Long's reaction regarding CL being selected by the Rams (as expected)?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345