general counsel is offline Registered User

#1 key to our defense in 2006

Revisiting an old topic, i think the most important key to our defense for 2006 will be the improvement of the players currently on the roster. For arguments sake, i am going to count pickett in that category because i cant see how we are going to let him walk. IF i am wrong on that, this analysis is still similiar anyway.

We will add players on defense through the draft and free agency. But we cant and wont add an entirely new team. Contracts and the salary cap make that impossible.

The real key is how to get kennedy, hargrove, bartell, oj, carter, groce and maybe even chris johnson to the next level. Get leonard little to play a full season without some kind of off field problem. Get claiborne, travis fisher and butler healthy. Add some help at one of the linebacker spots and safety and we will look a lot different quickly.

If the current guys on the team dont improve, there really isnt going to be enough talent, no matter who the coach is, for us to be a top half defense. Can we improve? Sure, but not enough to get us deep into the playoffs.

If the rams want to return to prominence in 2006, we are going to need improvement out of what we have, supplement it with some key additions and score more points on offense. Controlling the clock with a consistent running game would sure help a bit as well.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

bigredman is offline Registered User

Re: #1 key to our defense in 2006

Very true GC. It will be very important to get better production from our defensive line. This improves performance of the line-backing corp by keeping offensive linemen off of them in both stopping the run and blitz packages. Realistically, this is probably going to be a project that will take the next two years to get us competitive in the playoffs again in 2008.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rampete is offline Registered User

...i'll just take better tackling for starters...

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I bet you guys that we got a good chance (if everything goes accordingly with good coaching and whatnot) that we'll make the playoffs. They all need to work hard, and it seems like Linehan is really trying to get involved and I think he will bring a lot of success quickly (as he did with the Viking's offense I believe a few years ago)

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

We're definitely going to have to see more from our current players. The good news is that with a lot of fairly young players and a new scheme, there's good reason for optimism. I think the defensive line will show some progress, but I don't know how much. I think Kennedy and Hargrove both at least have the capacity to emerge as really good players at their positions next season. I don't see anybody in our secondary who is likely to emerge as a superstar, but I think as a unit they could be pretty decent, especially if we can generate a better pash rush (even more reason we need those guys on the line to perform). Linebacker seems like the unit that is going to need the most help from outside the current roster. Maybe Claiborne steps up, but I don't see guys like Chillar or Trev Faulk breaking out.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I agree that trev faulk and chillar arent likely to "break out" but i think that especially chillar can improve. I think that trev faulk was one of our best performers on defense/special teams last year. I dont think he is a starter level guy, but as a depth/attitude and effort guy i think hes terrific. Chillar certainly has a lot of room for improvement. Everyone doesnt have to be terrific, but if the young players improve within the range of their capabilities and some of the vets get healthy, we will improve on the whole defensively dramatically.

ramming speed to all

general counsel