Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 39
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: (10) Monday Morning Musings

  1. #1
    VegasRam's Avatar
    VegasRam is offline Ram MVP
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,399
    Rep Power
    52

    (10) Monday Morning Musings

    1. Don't know which I hate more; the *****, or the media's love affair with same. (They are a very good team, however).

    2. Bailey's the real deal.

    3. Cook just isn't. (see sig)

    4. Three 2nd-year guys and a rookie vs. Boldin, Davis, Crabtree and Manningham - What'd you expect?

    5. Homer notwithstanding - sure seems like we're getting jobbed by the refs.

    6. Bradford is sorely missed. (Duh!)

    7. Bernie Miklasz is a tool - (still embarrassed that I once defended him).

    8. Loved watching Hayes run down Bicep Boy.

    9. Thank you Billy and Steve for Robert and Chris.

    10. As far as (our supposed) lack of discipline penalty-wise, I'm of the school that JF is installing attitude, (which may be being misinterpreted by our rooks). Penalties are not why we lose - youth is, and that will change.
    Last edited by VegasRam; -12-02-2013 at 07:17 PM.
    RamDez, MFranke, HUbison and 5 others like this.

    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

  2. #2
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,450
    Rep Power
    128

    Re: (10) Monday Morning Musings

    Great observations.

    This game was the perfect example of why I hate the whiners. It was business as usual for them with the arrogant, smirking, dirty, taunting antics. Speaking of which, how was there no flag thrown when Brock grabbed, held, and twisted Austin's facemask after a play on the first series??

    I agree, Bailey is the real deal. He runs great routes, catches virtually everything, and looks to be the one receiver who can be counted on to do his job every time. He needs more PT.

    Cook has been a mixed bag, and seems to be showing why Titans fans had no problem seeing him go. I'm not ready to say he can't get it together though.

    You make a great point about the secondary. It's definitely the weakest link on the team, but with the youth and lack of experience, they're going to struggle against veteran receivers. That's just a given.

    The ref's certainly like to call phantom penalties on the Rams. The call on Dunbar for hitting Kaepernick in the head was complete BS. There was absolutely no contact that I saw.

    Watching Hayes run down Kaepernick and drag him down with one hand was a thing of beauty.

    As far as the penalties (more than a few committed by veteran players), I would agree that they didn't cause the loss, but they were a big part of it IMO.

    Again, nice takes Vegas.
    laram0 likes this.

  3. #3
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,617
    Rep Power
    167

    Re: (10) Monday Morning Musings

    A few comments on your musings...

    Quote Originally Posted by VegasRam View Post
    2. Bailey's the real deal.
    Haven't drawn any conclusions, but I'm encouraged.

    3. Cook just isn't. (see sig)
    Disagree. He has some flaws in his game that he needs to work out, but he is still only 100 yards away from the most receiving yards EVER in a season by a Rams player (1983: Mike Barber, 657 yards).

    7. Bernie Miklas is a tool - (still embarrassed that I once defended him).
    Bernie? Who's Bernie?

    10. As far as (our supposed) lack of discipline penalty-wise, I'm of the school that JF is installing attitude, (which may be being misinterpreted by our rooks). Penalties are not why we lose - youth is, and that will change.
    I agree that some of the mistakes that are being made right now will probably not occur when the team has more experience.

  4. #4
    VegasRam's Avatar
    VegasRam is offline Ram MVP
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,399
    Rep Power
    52

    Re: (10) Monday Morning Musings

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    A few comments on your musings...

    Haven't drawn any conclusions, but I'm encouraged.


    Disagree. He has some flaws in his game that he needs to work out, but he is still only 100 yards away from the most receiving yards EVER in a season by a Rams player (1983: Mike Barber, 657 yards).
    Cook has been a disappointment, period. I suspect his yardage is as much a function of our weak receiving corps as it is an indicator of his talent. And (not fair to him), my opinion is influenced by his salary, but he does draw coverage. Let's just say, if I had to choose today, I'd take Bailey. He is going to be another Steve Smith - you heard it hear first. Cook killed AZ - maybe he can repeat it this weekend, (but probably not without SB).
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

  5. #5
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,133
    Rep Power
    75

    Re: (10) Monday Morning Musings

    I agree with Av, Cook has been up and down but he still is putting up decent numbers for a TE. FA sometimes take a year to adjust, look at Greg Jennings. Cook has better numbers then he does as a TE/WR. Another factor is Sam went down, I would think that has hurt some. As you noted Bradford is sorely missed.

  6. #6
    Randart's Avatar
    Randart is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    567
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: (10) Monday Morning Musings

    Some good points guys, agree that Cook is a bit up and down but that is our team this season. Also as you guys pointed out he has Klemm Kaddile Hopper passing to him instead of Sammy. I would love to see Cook coached up on his blocking that would make him more versitile for even running plays. Think that would make him even more valuable as a team guy.

    As for the refs and their typically horrendeous calls on us, SOP! All these years thought I was just being a over critical fan but this season really shows me I was wrong about that. I hope Fish calls for some investigations into this crudd! Considering we got the calls against us the team actually played pretty well against the whiners. I am encouraged by our young guys play all around. A much much better showing than that first game against those guys, proud of our ladds today!

  7. #7
    Mikey's Avatar
    Mikey is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    825
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: (10) Monday Morning Musings

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I agree with Av, Cook has been up and down but he still is putting up decent numbers for a TE. FA sometimes take a year to adjust, look at Greg Jennings. Cook has better numbers then he does as a TE/WR. Another factor is Sam went down, I would think that has hurt some. As you noted Bradford is sorely missed.
    The issues we're having with Cook are the same issues he had in Tennessee and the reason why they were willing to let him explore free agency. He very rarely blocks well, he doesn't catch the ball well in traffic and he has concentration lapses when he's not the focus of the play. He's a veteran we should not be shrugging off the issues that he has. He has all the potential in the world but can't put it together consistently.

  8. #8
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,133
    Rep Power
    75

    Re: (10) Monday Morning Musings

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    The issues we're having with Cook are the same issues he had in Tennessee and the reason why they were willing to let him explore free agency. He very rarely blocks well, he doesn't catch the ball well in traffic and he has concentration lapses when he's not the focus of the play. He's a veteran we should not be shrugging off the issues that he has. He has all the potential in the world but can't put it together consistently.
    I disagree with the Titans where willing to let him explore FA. When in fact they where haggling over how many reps he had taken at TE vs WR because they wanted to use a franchise tag on him. Cook is more a WR then a TE we all knew that he was not a blocking TE before he played one game. That's not to say he can't work on it and get better as a blocker, in fact I think he is getting better at blocking with this coaching staff.

    Cook is on pace to have his best year ever! Through 12 games he already has as many yards as he did with the Titans last year and as many TDs. He has four games to go.

    I would hope he can play better and stop dropping balls, but its not like he is not producing.

    I can't name a TE for the Rams that has had as many yards as he does now or will have this year? Can you?

  9. #9
    Mikey's Avatar
    Mikey is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    825
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: (10) Monday Morning Musings

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I disagree with the Titans where willing to let him explore FA. When in fact they where haggling over how many reps he had taken at TE vs WR because they wanted to use a franchise tag on him. Cook is more a WR then a TE we all knew that he was not a blocking TE before he played one game. That's not to say he can't work on it and get better as a blocker, in fact I think he is getting better at blocking with this coaching staff.

    Cook is on pace to have his best year ever! Through 12 games he already has as many yards as he did with the Titans last year and as many TDs. He has four games to go.

    I would hope he can play better and stop dropping balls, but its not like he is not producing.

    I can't name a TE for the Rams that has had as many yards as he does now or will have this year? Can you?
    It is great the numbers he's putting up. I just can't be excited about it when with all his dropped passes and half efforts could lead to so much more. He's productive just not consistent at all. He could be so much more until he is it's hard to get excited for more than the occasional big play.

  10. #10
    tomahawk247's Avatar
    tomahawk247 is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Essex, England
    Age
    27
    Posts
    4,730
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: (10) Monday Morning Musings

    I'm really encouraged by the secondary play, given the youth. Tru has had his ups and downs but Jenkins always seems to do a real good job as long as he doesn't fall down!! I was impressed by how he played physically against Marshall and Boldin.

    And safety-wise, McLeod and McDonald can definitely lay the wood, and their coverage is getting better.

    I just think at the moment there is a bit of a gap between the linebackers and safeties coverage wise, and that's where we get killed. A bit of better communication between the linebackers and secondary would help a lot

  11. #11
    NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    2,245
    Rep Power
    71

    Re: (10) Monday Morning Musings

    The problem I and many others have with Cook is that he doesn't play to potential. Along with a monster game 1 and sporadic productivity comes a malaise in which he misses blocks, drops balls and underachieves. Numbers don't tell the whole story. It is not unreasonable to have legitimate concerns moving forward. On a losing team, sometimes it will be explained away, but on a young team with much bigger aspirations that crap doesn't fly.

    The Rams are getting their share of bad calls, but ask a dozen other teams or fan bases and you'll hear the same thing. And with the NFL's new "commitment" to "safety", it won't get better any time soon.

    I can't say Bailey is the real thing. I need to see a greater body of work before making that conclusion.

    For all their failings, Billy and Steve did draft several guys who will be a big part of any future team success.

    Re-signing Hayes was big. It's moves like this- obtaining unheralded guys who fly under the radar- that helps you become successful.

    Youth is a legitimate excuse this season. But in a league where the average career is 3 years, you'd better grow up in a hurry. Next year, I don't want to hear it. Learn your craft and produce a winner.

  12. #12
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,133
    Rep Power
    75

    Re: (10) Monday Morning Musings

    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    The problem I and many others have with Cook is that he doesn't play to potential. Along with a monster game 1 and sporadic productivity comes a malaise in which he misses blocks, drops balls and underachieves. Numbers don't tell the whole story. It is not unreasonable to have legitimate concerns moving forward. On a losing team, sometimes it will be explained away, but on a young team with much bigger aspirations that crap doesn't fly.
    That's fair but I could say that about just about all of the roster. Quick, Pead, Givens, Jenkins, Finnegan and the list goes on. Sporadic productivity? Really is that what you call his play? That seems like a spin if I have ever hear it. Like he somehow he does not deserve the credit for his yards and run after the catch. I guess his 4 catches for 80 yards and one TD against the bears was just "sporadic productivity" when I think about it.

    I think most fans are not happy with all his drops but lets not act as if he's has not produced and helped us win games. I have no concerned with Cook going forward.

  13. #13
    shower beers's Avatar
    shower beers is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,045
    Rep Power
    59

    Re: (10) Monday Morning Musings

    Cook is having a career year, but I think people's problems are with the idea that he could be having a potential pro-bowl caliber year if he would be more consistent. The problem is squarely on his own production, dropping passes and sometimes running poor/wrong routes. He's left a lot of yardage on the field this year. I think we can see the production fade away right in front of our eyes, and it's disappointing. It's not like he's not getting the opportunities like in Tennessee, he's just not making the most of them, which is what you need to do to be a superstar in this league.

    A good example is Vernon Davis last Sunday. Caught everything thrown his way, great runs after his catches, and even dragged Tru for a few yards when he was attached to, ahem, Vernon Junior.
    NJ Ramsfan1 likes this.

  14. #14
    TorontoRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Saint Louis
    Posts
    220
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: (10) Monday Morning Musings

    Quote Originally Posted by VegasRam View Post
    1.

    1. Don't know which I hate more; the *****, or the media's love affair with same. (They are a very good team, however).
    I don't hate any opponent, which probably ruins my street cred as a Rams fan, but so be it. When one has lived long enough and seen enough things, a football game doesn't rank very high on the love/hate meter for me.

    2. Bailey's the real deal.

    3. Cook just isn't. (see sig)

    4. Three 2nd-year guys and a rookie vs. Boldin, Davis, Crabtree and Manningham - What'd you expect?
    Some FAs and some Draftees. How have the Rams done in the FA and Draft markets? Check out the last several of both and see where the FAs and Draftees landed.

    5. Homer notwithstanding - sure seems like we're getting jobbed by the refs.
    Referees don't lose games. Teams and coaches lose games.

    6. Bradford is sorely missed. (Duh!).
    Because? I've said before and I still believe that Roman Gabriel, Brett Favre, or Johnny Unitas couldn't win with the supporting cast that the Rams have assembled to date.

    7. Bernie Miklasz is a tool - (still embarrassed that I once defended him).
    Because? I'd rather have a 'tool' (check out the New York and Philadelphia media) than a 'homer.' Saint Louis media have been kissing our home teams 'tukus' long enough. It's time to call them out when appropriate.

    8. Loved watching Hayes run down Bicep Boy.
    Didn't do it nearly enough, eh!

    9. Thank you Billy and Steve for Robert and Chris.

    10. As far as (our supposed) lack of discipline penalty-wise, I'm of the school that JF is installing attitude, (which may be being misinterpreted by our rooks). Penalties are not why we lose - youth is, and that will change.
    Really?

    What I'm suggesting is that it's time to stop blaming the media, the refs, etc. and start looking at the players and coaches, IMO.

  15. #15
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,133
    Rep Power
    75

    Re: (10) Monday Morning Musings

    Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    Cook is having a career year, but I think people's problems are with the idea that he could be having a potential pro-bowl caliber year if he would be more consistent. The problem is squarely on his own production, dropping passes and sometimes running poor/wrong routes. He's left a lot of yardage on the field this year. I think we can see the production fade away right in front of our eyes, and it's disappointing. It's not like he's not getting the opportunities like in Tennessee, he's just not making the most of them, which is what you need to do to be a superstar in this league.

    A good example is Vernon Davis last Sunday. Caught everything thrown his way, great runs after his catches, and even dragged Tru for a few yards when he was attached to, ahem, Vernon Junior.
    Lets keep in mind that when the Rams went to the 12 and started running the ball more Cook's targets dropped just like all of the WR. He has 67 targets through 12 games. Last year he had 72 through 13 games and was done for the year. So he needs five balls thrown his way this Sunday just to match what he got with the Titans and they weren't using him enough if I recall. My point is he's not getting more opportunities with the Rams. He is making bigger plays here. But as stated it could be much better if he did not drop so many balls.

    In five games Clemens has thrown 140 passes
    In Seven games Sam had thrown 262 passes

    I'm sure the Rams sold Cook on the fact we would be in a spread and he would catch a ton of balls from the slot. That went out the window when we could not run the ball. Cook had his monster game in the spread with 10 targets. He's been averaging only 2.8 targets since we change our scheme to a running more.

    That said no excuse to not catch every ball that his your hands.
    Last edited by Rambos; -12-03-2013 at 12:38 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Bernie: Monday Morning Quarterback ..
    By MauiRam in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: -09-27-2011, 08:44 PM
  2. Monday Morning QB
    By eldfan in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -09-13-2010, 06:27 PM
  3. Monday Morning Quarterback
    By peramoure in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: -03-16-2010, 12:22 PM
  4. Monday morning hangover...long
    By rammiser in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: -09-14-2009, 04:37 PM
  5. A few fearless forecasts for a Monday morning...
    By AvengerRam in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: -03-23-2006, 10:59 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •