Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: (10) Monday Morning Musings

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Re: (10) Monday Morning Musings

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoRam View Post
    Really?

What I'm suggesting is that it's time to stop blaming the media, the refs, etc. and start looking at the players and coaches, IMO.
    I think "hate" is used in a different context when it comes to sports rivalries, Captain Literal.

Don't really see where the media was blamed for our performance, or lack thereof.

Our secondary are all draftees. (Giordino does not start).

Don't live in St. Louis, but in reading Miklasz, Gordon and Thomas, would have to disagree.

Hayes "didn't do it enough?' Really? - are you serious?

And (see sig), I feel confident that any (impartial) observer would agree we have had some ill-timed and incorrect calls go against us in the last two weeks. And I qualified it. And I never said that's why we lost. Eh?

"the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    That's fair but I could say that about just about all of the roster. Quick, Pead, Givens, Jenkins, Finnegan and the list goes on. Sporadic productivity? Really is that what you call his play? That seems like a spin if I have ever hear it. Like he somehow he does not deserve the credit for his yards and run after the catch. I guess his 4 catches for 80 yards and one TD against the bears was just "sporadic productivity" when I think about it.

I think most fans are not happy with all his drops but lets not act as if he's has not produced and helped us win games. I have no concerned with Cook going forward.

Cook has had games of 10, 26, 33, 31, 36 and 17 yards this season. That to me is sporadic productivity. Nobody expects the guy to have 100 yards receiving every game, but those numbers aren't even close to him being a consistent, top-flite performer.

With his chiseled physique, speed and size, he should be better than he is-period. The drops and pathetic blocking attempts reinforce that belief.

macrammer is offline Registered User

At the end of the day, hard for me to believe 100% in a guy that is a veteran and should be setting the tone for the youngest team in the NFL. On a pivotal 3rd and 5 Sunday, Cook dropped the pass. A catch that anyone should be able to make at that level let alone a very high priced FA. A pass that would have kept the drive alive when the game was still in play. I get the youth growth but have less patience with "veterans" If he can be more consistent, then I would be happy to sing his praises.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Seems to me that a lot of fans view big-ticket FAs (and high draft picks) as boom or bust prospects.

Jared Cook does not fit either category.

Has he been an "elite" TE this year? No.

Has he been a bust?

Well, consider this...

He is currently ranked 10th among TEs in receiving yards.

That means there are 22 teams who are getting less production from their top TE than the Rams are.

Perspective, folks.
    Vinnie25 likes this.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

During preseason people routinely claimed Cook would replace Amendola as the primary receiver for this team. I think people were expecting 70 catches and 7 TDs. He's on pace for 53 and 5 with mostly a backup QB. Not horrible, not as dominant as expected. It's really just 1 reception more per game. That could easily be the difference between Bradford and Clemens.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Cook has had games of 10, 26, 33, 31, 36 and 17 yards this season. That to me is sporadic productivity. Nobody expects the guy to have 100 yards receiving every game, but those numbers aren't even close to him being a consistent, top-flite performer.

With his chiseled physique, speed and size, he should be better than he is-period. The drops and pathetic blocking attempts reinforce that belief.
    The 10 yard game came after he had 140 yards two TDs. The Falcons doubled him all day, it happens to every player that has a huge game. The next week teams take that player away.

How can you not take into account that the Rams have changed their approach? Do you expect him to catch passes that aren't being made? Is that his fault that the Rams only threw the ball to him 3 time and he had 3 catches for 26 yards? He followed that game up with two catches on two targets for 45 yards. How about they throw the ball his way more often. The 17 yards you are talking about came in the blow out against the Colts. He had two passes thrown his way caught one for 17 yards. But what you are leaving out is the fact we did not need to pass in that game, the Rams threw only 16 passes all day and completed only 9. That was the game Tavon scored on three touches for 21 points and we protected the lead.

You can say what you want as far as the QB play should not affect the WR/TE production. I disagree watch the breakdown on Clemens.

'Playbook': Tennessee Titans vs. St. Louis Rams - NFL Videos
    Last edited by Rambos; -12-03-2013 at 05:19 PM.

Do you expect him to catch passes that aren't being made? Is that his fault that the Rams only threw the ball to him 3 time and he had 3 catches for 26 yards? He followed that game up with two catches on two targets for 45 yards. How about they throw the ball his way more often.
    Yes it could be his fault if he's not fighting to get open on routine plays or running the designated routes. He has 40 catches on 67 targets. If Cook isn't responsible, I guess none of the WRs are responsible for their production? We shouldn't blast Quick because if the Rams threw him the ball more he might put up 80 receptions and 15 TDs?

I'm not blasting Cook but to say we can't hold him responsible for his production odd.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Yes it could be his fault if he's not fighting to get open on routine plays or running the designated routes. He has 40 catches on 67 targets. If Cook isn't responsible, I guess none of the WRs are responsible for their production? We shouldn't blast Quick because if the Rams threw him the ball more he might put up 80 receptions and 15 TDs?

I'm not blasting Cook but to say we can't hold him responsible for his production odd.
    Look at the video above

If is the key word here.

I'm saying look at the game film before you or anyone says he's not getting open.
    Last edited by Rambos; -12-03-2013 at 06:06 PM.

Look at the video above

If is the key word here.

I'm saying look at the game film before you or anyone says he's not getting open.
    So if I posted a video of his dropping a pass that would prove you completely wrong?

I'm not blasting Cook but the idea he has no responsibility for his own production is a joke.

Vernon Davis Game-by-Game Stats

Had games this year of 20,18,2 and 33 yards it happens to the best of them.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    So if I posted a video of his dropping a pass that would prove you completely wrong?

I'm not blasting Cook but the idea he has no responsibility for his own production is a joke.
    The video was not Cook it was Clemens not seeing him WIDE OPEN... if he's open and the ball does not go his way he's can't do anything about that can he? If Tavon takes over a game and there is no need to throw the ball is that his fault he only caught one pass that game. I think not.

I did not say he is not responsible that's your take.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Seems to me that a lot of fans view big-ticket FAs (and high draft picks) as boom or bust prospects.

Jared Cook does not fit either category.

Has he been an "elite" TE this year? No.

Has he been a bust?

Well, consider this...

He is currently ranked 10th among TEs in receiving yards.

That means there are 22 teams who are getting less production from their top TE than the Rams are.

Perspective, folks.
    But I thought he was more of a WR then a tight end???

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    But I thought he was more of a WR then a tight end???
    I don't know where you got that idea.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Yes you do AV. ;-)

I know (think) you are (were) aware that he was attempting to get tagged as a WR in Tennessee, and I know (think) you know he was not picked up for his blocking prowess but rather for his hands and speed. The fact that you haven't actually posted said thoughts doesn't preclude the fact that you were aware of them.

You're being a bit disingenuous.

That said, being aware of something, and not knowing how someone else became aware of same are two different things. Please disregard post. (Man, this lawyer stuff is mentally fatiguing.)

Glad to have sparked the discussion, but should have said "he isn't worth his pricetag".
    (But then it wouldn't have tied into the Bailey comment).
    Last edited by VegasRam; -12-03-2013 at 07:21 PM.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Apparently, in Tennessee he actually lined up more at WR than he did at TE. His agents even used that fact to argue he should get the receiver franchise tag as opposed to the TE tag. The Titans didn't agree. That said, the Rams obviously brought him in to be a TE.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast