Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: (10) Monday Morning Musings

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: (10) Monday Morning Musings

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRam View Post
    Yes you do AV. ;-)

I know (think) you are (were) aware that he was attempting to get tagged as a WR in Tennessee, and I know (think) you know he was not picked up for his blocking prowess but rather for his hands and speed. The fact that you haven't actually posted said thoughts doesn't preclude the fact that you were aware of them.
    Just because his agent tried to price him as a WR doesn't mean he is one.

You're being a bit disingenuous.
    No, I'm not. Not even a little bit.

He's a TE. Period. End of story.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Apparently, in Tennessee he actually lined up more at WR than he did at TE. His agents even used that fact to argue he should get the receiver franchise tag as opposed to the TE tag. The Titans didn't agree. That said, the Rams obviously brought him in to be a TE.
    Yep. He is a TE he is flexed out in the slot more often then not. But that still makes him a TE. Cory Harkey lines up inline and in the backfield and is hardly ever flexed out in the slot and he is still a TE.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Jesus, the semantics are killing me. "He's a tight end". "NO he's not, he's a receiver". "Well, he's a tight end being used as a receiver". "His agent said this". "We said that". Seems like we choose Cook's position to best fit our argument.

I would agree that Cook is not a bust nor is he elite. My whole take- and people can deny it all they want and if so, they're full of it- is many people lauded this guy when he was signed as an outstanding acquisition. He wasn't. He's been a decent addition to a team in dire need of receiving help. But he's also been a dog as a blocker and has dropped more than his fair share of passes. And I can't say it any more clearly than I already have several times: HE SHOULD BE BETTER THAN HE IS WITH THE NATURAL TOOLS HE HAS. There are stretches when the guy disappears. Yes, a back-up QB probably hinders him a bit, but no more so than any other receiver on this roster who we've all (rightly) criticized for lack of productivity.

Also, a guy shouldn't be given credit for good performances then given a pass for lack of production because "he's being doubled" or "he was open but the QB didn't throw to him". Doesn't work that way. You are judged on your total body of work.

And not for nothing, as a veteran guy on a very young receiving corps, he should be setting the standard in every way possible from hustle to production to blocking to work ethic to hanging onto the football.

I've said all I'll say on the subject.
    Varg6 likes this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

You make valid points NJ, I hear you. Our Cook is not yet a Chef. Hopefully will become one soon!
    live4ramin likes this.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Jesus, the semantics are killing me. "He's a tight end". "NO he's not, he's a receiver". "Well, he's a tight end being used as a receiver". "His agent said this". "We said that". Seems like we choose Cook's position to best fit our argument. I would agree that Cook is not a bust nor is he elite. My whole take- and people can deny it all they want and if so, they're full of it- is many people lauded this guy when he was signed as an outstanding acquisition. He wasn't. He's been a decent addition to a team in dire need of receiving help. But he's also been a dog as a blocker and has dropped more than his fair share of passes. And I can't say it any more clearly than I already have several times: HE SHOULD BE BETTER THAN HE IS WITH THE NATURAL TOOLS HE HAS. There are stretches when the guy disappears. Yes, a back-up QB probably hinders him a bit, but no more so than any other receiver on this roster who we've all (rightly) criticized for lack of productivity. Also, a guy shouldn't be given credit for good performances then given a pass for lack of production because "he's being doubled" or "he was open but the QB didn't throw to him". Doesn't work that way. You are judged on your total body of work. And not for nothing, as a veteran guy on a very young receiving corps, he should be setting the standard in every way possible from hustle to production to blocking to work ethic to hanging onto the football. I've said all I'll say on the subject.
    Thank you. As I've stated previously, NJ stands for "no jive". Could not have been stated better.

His contract will be adjusted next year , as it should be.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Thank you. As I've stated previously, NJ stands for "no jive". Could not have been stated better.

His contract will be adjusted next year , as it should be.
    Cook's contract isn't going to be adjusted after one year.

This is why it's good that fans don't make decisions for the team.
    RealRam likes this.

Are you saying an NFL contract cannot be adjusted after one year, or are you privy to knowledge the rest if us aren't? Just curious.

Cook is going to bring back memories of another free agent pass catcher bust from Tennessee.

Are you saying an NFL contract cannot be adjusted after one year, or are you privy to knowledge the rest if us aren't? Just curious.

Cook is going to bring back memories of another free agent pass catcher bust from Tennessee.
    I'm saying your analysis is over the top, and that there is no indication whatsoever that the team shares your feelings at all.

Cook's salary:
    Zach Miller at Tight End $6,800,000
    Vernon Davis at Tight End $6,072,000
    Antonio Gates at Tight End $4,500,000
    Jermichael Finley at Tight End $4,450,000
    Marcedes Lewis at Tight End $4,200,000
    Owen Daniels at Tight End $4,000,000
    Tony Gonzalez at Tight End $3,500,000
    Brent Celek at Tight End $3,256,000
    Dustin Keller at Tight End $3,250,000
    Jared Cook at Tight End $3,000,000

Jared Cook is 17th in the NFL in (TE) yardage, but 3rd in YPC behind Jimmy Graham and Vernon Davis. Pretty impressive company. His relative pay is not out of line as well.
    (Must have been wobbly passes on Clemens part).

I stand corrected. (Next time I'll investigate BEFORE I shoot my mouth off).
    Last edited by VegasRam; -12-04-2013 at 03:37 PM.
    RealRam likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123