Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: 10 Quick Thoughts On The Game

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

10 Quick Thoughts On The Game

Great game! For the first time in I don't know how many years, I was able to relax and enjoy the show for virtually the entire second half.

Sam Bradford did everything people expected of him today. He was efficient, led the team to TD's in the red zone, showed good pocket presence, fearlessly stood in there and delivered perfect passes knowing he was going to get clobbered, took some shots deep, and made in-game adjustments. And he made it all look pretty easy, especially the TD's.

The defense gave up a lot of yards, but got the job done when it counted. They were active, tenacious, and most importantly, opportunistic. Man they were opportunistic!

Speaking of opportunistic, Alec Ogletree was a monster today, with 10 tackles, an INT, a TD, and a forced fumble.

Michael Brockers was amazing as well, showing his enormous talents. And he's only going to get better.

The special teams issues were really cleaned up today. Too bad Austin couldn't take advantage and was the odd man out.

Although it's easy to say when things go right, I really liked the play calling today. A good mix of run/pass, with plays that kept the defense off balance, and finally some WR screens that had some blocking set up.

Zac Stacy is looking like the real deal. He's a bull with great vision, and the ability to read his blocks, let them set up, and decisively hit the hole.

When is the last time we only punted 3 times in a game?

What was Jenkins thinking when he ran out of the end zone after the pick? I'll chalk it up to youthful exuberance.
    RealRam, MFranke, MoonJoe and 6 others like this.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Re: 10 Quick Thoughts On The Game

2 of those punts were when the game was virtually over.

Jenkins had a lot of room beyond that one block, I don't think he saw the guy behind him. But he should of just kneed it, not worth the risk.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Like I said in the gameday thread. If you are up that much, there is no harm in trying to bring it back, not if you have return skills like Jenkins does

J-RodRamFan is offline Registered User

Another random thought, we still need to clean up our running game. Arian was tearing us up. Still a great game though.

Quote Originally Posted by J-RodRamFan View Post
    Another random thought, we still need to clean up our running game. Arian was tearing us up. Still a great game though.
    Yeah, I mentioned the defense gave up a lot of yards, but you're right. We're not going to get away with that in most cases.

lordwhttgr is offline Registered User
    I live in Danville Illinois, I work all over the USA.

"What was Jenkins thinking when he ran out of the end zone after the pick? I'll chalk it up to youthful exuberance." Quote

I was screaming for him to kneel down. Oh well we were going to win anyway by that time.

GO RAMS!!!
    Varg6 likes this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Awesome job. Nice to see a convincing win in which there were many, many positives, especially with recent draft picks Brockers, Ogletree, Quick and Jenkins getting into the act. 38-6 with a few minutes left in the game; can't ask for much more.

I'd have to think Ogletree is a strong consideration for defensive player of the week after his performance today.

Varg6 is online now Registered User

I think what made the biggest difference was Zach Stacy. Although the play calling was better, I saw Stacy make plays out of nothing; plays Richardson would tend to get stood up on, Stacy seemed to be able to get 2-3 yards. He really helped the offense out today, keeping the D on their feet. It's nice not being one dimensional.
    RealRam likes this.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    I think what made the biggest difference was Zach Stacy. Although the play calling was better, I saw Stacy make plays out of nothing; plays Richardson would tend to get stood up on, Stacy seemed to be able to get 2-3 yards. He really helped the offense out today, keeping the D on their feet. It's nice not being one dimensional.
    I agree that Stacy was a big difference maker today, and last week as well. It's amazing what can happen when there is the threat of a running game, and the defense can't just tee off on the QB and drop everybody into coverage.

shower beers is offline Registered User

The offensive line turned in a great performance too. Sam stayed clean the entire afternoon, escaping the few pressures he faced and taking no sacks. They also generated the holes for a respectable rushing attack from Stacy and Richardson.

The unit definitely lived up to that Pro Football Focus grade this week.
    r8rh8rmike and NJ Ramsfan1 like this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Not to pick on our JJ (he did make the INT after all) but yes, it would have been a much better and smarter decision to simply sit the ball in the end zone. I'm sure JJ will have agreed and won't be so antsy next time unless there's an urgent situation that calls for a forced return.

Nice quick summary BTW.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Our JJ was certainly more productive than their JJ.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Zac Stacy is our key piece. He rarely ever goes down at first contact and has exceptional vision. He's enabled us to do so many more things. Is it a coincidence that as soon as we establish a running game we get Chris Givens wide open over the top for an easy 80 yard TD? Sam stayed clean and the offensive line did an excellent job all around today.

How about a shoutout to Joe Barksdale? Since stepping in he's been 5x more productive than Rodger Saffold. Yesterday he held the BEST defensive player in the league to just about his worst game of his career (that's saying something about JJ Watt as well). Barksdale should continue to get the start at RT.
    RamDez, live4ramin and Dwight Frye like this.

THE DREAM TEAM

bradwill is offline Registered User

Game was over when Schaub got injured and there was a noticeable cheer from some of the home crowd. Besides TJ Yates throwing two of the worst interceptions you'll ever see in a NFL game, I think the Texans were rattled at their own fans by that point. Guys like Andre Johnson and Duane Brown sure didn't hold back after the game about what they thought of some of the fans cheering Schaub's injury. I agree with them and Cushing who also described the cheers as barbaric.

Stay classy, Houston. You're not supposed to be Philadelphia

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post

How about a shoutout to Joe Barksdale? Since stepping in he's been 5x more productive than Rodger Saffold. Yesterday he held the BEST defensive player in the league to just about his worst game of his career (that's saying something about JJ Watt as well). Barksdale should continue to get the start at RT.
    That's a good point. The announcers made a point about not calling his name, around the third quarter. His one good penetration play came from an inside rush on a guard. Barksdale has been playing great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast