Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: 10 Quick Thoughts On The Game

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: 10 Quick Thoughts On The Game

Quote Originally Posted by Flippin' Ram View Post
    Agreed, can't wait to see him get more reps.
    Me too. He stands out despite almost never touching the ball. That says something. He only had the one target/catch today, but I was really impressed with the way he ran a crisp, precise route. From the sound of things, his reps are going to gradually increase.

RealRam is offline Registered User

The calls made by the refs for the most part were good, it's just that stupid "protect the QB" call that was frustrating. It was a clean hit but in the end, it was a hindsight call. Just glad we won that game.
    Agreed. And it's that penalty called against Brockers that irks me. As you said, it was a clean hit by big MB!

Fine the head ref.

GIF: Rams Michael Brockers clean hit on Bears McCown called roughing
    November 24, 2013, p.m.
    By Paul M Banks

GIF, it’s one of the worst calls by a NFL official you’ll see in any game this season. St. Louis Rams DL Michael Brockers had a clean hit on Chicago Bears backup QB Josh McCown. It was called roughing the passer, even though he cleanly hit McCown right in the numbers. His head was to the side, he did not lead with his helmet.

I don’t know if the officials somehow believe Michael Brockers led with the crown of his helmet, or if they just overreacted because they saw/heard a bone crushing hit and thought something illegal occurred. The terrible roughing call negated a Rams strip-sack-score play, and the overturn led to the Bears scoring on the very next play.

In other words, this horrible blown call on Michael Brockers led to a 14 point swing. In the end, it didn’t matter though as the Rams beat the Bears 41-21; in a laugher.

Paul M. Banks is the owner of The Sports Bank.net, an affiliate of Fox Sports. He’s also an analyst for multiple news talk radio stations across the country; with regular weekly segments on NBC and Fox Sports Radio. Follow him on Twitter (@paulmbanks) and RSS Catch him Tuesdays talking Illini and Northwestern for KOZN 1620 The Zone, Fridays talking Chicago Bears for WAOR 95.7 The Fan
    Last edited by RealRam; -11-24-2013 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Article
    lostsoul likes this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

As long as there is this sensitivity regarding concussions, we will unfortunately see the referees make these kinds of calls. They are being told to err on the side of caution, and terrible calls will result from time to time.

What HASN'T been mentioned is the play deep in Chicago territory where McCown threw a ball that looked to me like a lateral and was scooped up by Hayes and run in for a TD. They called it a forward pass and also had a quick whistle on the play.
    live4ramin likes this.

gap
    gap is online now Registered User

The calls made by the refs for the most part were good, it's just that stupid "protect the QB" call that was frustrating. It was a clean hit but in the end, it was a hindsight call. Just glad we won that game.
    Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Agreed. And it's that penalty called against Brockers that irks me. As you said, it was a clean hit by big MB!

Fine the head ref.

GIF: Rams Michael Brockers clean hit on Bears McCown called roughing
    November 24, 2013, p.m.
    By Paul M Banks

Paul M. Banks is the owner of The Sports Bank.net, an affiliate of Fox Sports. He’s also an analyst for multiple news talk radio stations across the country; with regular weekly segments on NBC and Fox Sports Radio. Follow him on Twitter (@paulmbanks) and RSS Catch him Tuesdays talking Illini and Northwestern for KOZN 1620 The Zone, Fridays talking Chicago Bears for WAOR 95.7 The Fan
    I disagree. The refs, for the most part, did not screw the RAMS as much as they have in the past, but they called textbook penalties against the RAMS, while letting the bears get away with a lot. Thier first TD was a push off. It was suttle, but it was still there. Most of their offensive plays should have been called back for OL holding. They negated an INT by calling illegal contact down field. It was a good call, but there were several illegal contact calls that the Bears got away with. I cannot remember which play, but one was a key 3rd down. The PI they picked up in the endzone was also bogus, especially so when they called two penalties in the endzone on us (one wasn't even in the endzone) in the series the lead to the "roughing the passer".

gap

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

I believe the call was simply a reaction to seeing McCown's head jerk so violently, in the moment. I too believed it was a helmet to helmet collision right when it happened...which is a no no. Only after seeing the play slowed down, could you really see that it was a truly clean shot. I think any fan would have (quickly) wanted a flag tossed when they saw their team's QB hammered like that. I am sure the zebras would admit a mistake after analyzing the replay. Bad deal (seemingly, as usual) for the Rams.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Fargo Ram Fan View Post
    I believe the call was simply a reaction to seeing McCown's head jerk so violently, in the moment. I too believed it was a helmet to helmet collision right when it happened...which is a no no. Only after seeing the play slowed down, could you really see that it was a truly clean shot. I think any fan would have (quickly) wanted a flag tossed when they saw their team's QB hammered like that. I am sure the zebras would admit a mistake after analyzing the replay. Bad deal (seemingly, as usual) for the Rams.
    I hear what you're saying, but I immediately saw a legal, (albeit violent) hit, with no head contact. The minute I saw the flag, I started screaming "BS!". It looked like Fisher felt the same way as he nearly threw his headset onto the field in protest.

It's too bad the officials didn't huddle up and talk about it to get it right, like they did on the horse collar penalty called on Ogletree that was corrected.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

How much does Brockers weigh...how much does Mc"CLOWN" weigh? Its what happens when a speeding semi-truck hits a mosquito--KERR-SLAP! Simple physics! What is a defender suppose to do when the QB is caught in the open, flat-footed, touch him on the shoulder and yell "TAG"?

Its a hit to the chest primarily, neither too low or too high--the difference being Brockers got momentum and yes it was a violent collision--its called FOOTBALL. Defensive tackles dream about making these kind of hits, clean and legal. Mc"CLOWN" spent the rest of the game making sure he knew where Brockers was.
    RealRam, thoey, gap and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Dragoon View Post
    How much does Brockers weigh...how much does Mc"CLOWN" weigh? Its what happens when a speeding semi-truck hits a mosquito--KERR-SLAP! Simple physics! What is a defender suppose to do when the QB is caught in the open, flat-footed, touch him on the shoulder and yell "TAG"?

Its a hit to the chest primarily, neither too low or too high--the difference being Brockers got momentum and yes it was a violent collision--its called FOOTBALL. Defensive tackles dream about making these kind of hits, clean and legal. Mc"CLOWN" spent the rest of the game making sure he knew where Brockers was.
    Beautifully said Dragoon!

THAT was a sack that would have made the Fearsome smile and reminisce. Body slam!

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    As long as there is this sensitivity regarding concussions, we will unfortunately see the referees make these kinds of calls. They are being told to err on the side of caution, and terrible calls will result from time to time.

What HASN'T been mentioned is the play deep in Chicago territory where McCown threw a ball that looked to me like a lateral and was scooped up by Hayes and run in for a TD. They called it a forward pass and also had a quick whistle on the play.
    If thats the play that Long batted the ball, it was heavily reviewed by the officials and even during the replay it looked like a slightly forward pass

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by gap View Post
    I disagree. The refs, for the most part, did not screw the RAMS as much as they have in the past, but they called textbook penalties against the RAMS, while letting the bears get away with a lot. Thier first TD was a push off. It was suttle, but it was still there. Most of their offensive plays should have been called back for OL holding. They negated an INT by calling illegal contact down field. It was a good call, but there were several illegal contact calls that the Bears got away with. I cannot remember which play, but one was a key 3rd down. The PI they picked up in the endzone was also bogus, especially so when they called two penalties in the endzone on us (one wasn't even in the endzone) in the series the lead to the "roughing the passer".

gap

The Brockers call was horrendous, and no one argues that. It is obvious, however, you have an axe to grind and are far from objective when assessing the refs. That is reflected in your numerous posts after each game where you give them zero credit or at best give them a "back-handed" compliment ("They didn't screw us as bad as they normally do..."). It gets old. To have your opinions taken as seriously as you'd prefer, you need to be a bit more balanced and drop the "The Rams are screwed worse than everyone else on a weekly basis" rhetoric.

We all are critical of calls from time to time, and I'm no different. But if you watch any game around the NFL, you could pick out a dozen calls (or non-calls if you will) that are questionable or poor. The Rams haven't lost a ton of games because of poor officiating, nor have they been the target of some league-wide bias. Nonsense. Ask Green Bay after they played Seattle last year. Ask Oakland after the infamous "tuck rule" game, and on and on.

The NFL refs are scrutinized more than any other group of officials when it comes to accountability. They're given a weekly evaluation, weekly written tests and their previous game is critiqued and reviewed. Demerits are given for poor performance, and this will cost an official his job if it happens enough.

J-RodRamFan is offline Registered User

Two things frustrated me yesterday. Brandon Mcgee with his bad penalties and the horrible roughing the passer call on Brockers. Should have been 4th and goal. That was almost a game changer. Overall I love the way our team played yesterday.

BTW, look how close Quinn comes to batting the ball away from the Bears QB! Hopefully the Rams DL -- and defense as a whole -- will continue to play this hard ... and will be allowed to hit those QBs rather than being penalized for it. Legally of course.

Last edited by RealRam; -11-25-2013 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Ram

bltkmt is offline Registered User

Is there any report on Zac yet?

lordwhttgr is offline Registered User
    I live in Danville Illinois, I work all over the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by lostsoul View Post
    Am I the only one that loves the effort of Stedman Bailey?
    Nope, Stedman was magnificent!!!

lordwhttgr is offline Registered User
    I live in Danville Illinois, I work all over the USA.

The hit on McCown by Brockers wasn't a good hit at all. It was a great hit. It's what we wanted to see and waited the whole game for! In the video above, you can even see Brockers turning McCown in the air so his shoulder would not hit first and put him out of the game. If more DLs could learn this technique we would loose fewer QBs to injury.

And somewhere Deacon Jones is smiling.

GO RAMS Beat the ninnies!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12