AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

10 Reasons Why The Rams' Turnaround Is Real

The turnaround from 2009 to 2010 has been dramatic. The question is... will it last?

Here are 10 reasons why I think that 2010 is the start of a good run, rather than a fluke year:

1. Sam Bradford. Start with the obvious reason. Bradford is the single biggest reason for the turnaround. As he matures into a veteran QB, I expect he will become one of the league's elite.

2. Youth. At least half of the Rams' primary starters this year have been players with 3 or fewer years of experience (Bradford, J.Smith, Saffold, Amendola, B.Gibson, Long, Grant, Vobora, Laurinaitis, Fletcher, Dahl). The only players nearing their careers are James Hall and Fred Robbins, who have demonstrated that they still have a great deal left in the tank.

3. No Gimmicks. When the Miami Dolphins had their big turnaround a few years back, it was largely due to their ability to take the league by surprise wih the Wildcat Offense. In the long run, though, the Wildcat was not sustainable. The Rams, on the other hand, have won games without the benefit of trick plays and lucky bounces. If anything, their approach has been vanilla.

4. Relatively Easy Need Areas. Finding a QB, LT or starting CBs is difficult. Finding WRs and OLBs is, by comparison, somewhat easier. The Rams still have needs that must be addressed, but they are relatively solid up front on both sides of the ball, and have their franchise QB. One good offseason may be all that is needed to fill the other holes.

5. A Man With A Plan. Steve Spagnuolo's "stay the course" approach has started producing dividends. This is best observed in the pass rush. Even though the Rams did not use significant FA dollars or high draft choices to improve the pass rushers, Spags system has started working, as the Rams are among the league leaders in sacks. There is still room to improve, which, in the long run, is a good thing.

6. The Division. The NFC West is ripe for the picking this year, and in the long run, may be the Rams' domain. It is notable that only 3 of the Rams' 7 victories thus far are against division opponents. Next year, the Rams could go from 7-8 wins to 10-11 wins merely by dominating the division.

7. Four Pillars. While some fans have made light of this approach, staying away from guys like Terrell Owens, Randy Moss and Albert Haynesworth has allowed a true core of leaders emerge. This bodes well for the future.

8. Stan Kronke. I have to believe that, assuming the NFL's labor issues are resolved, Stan Kronke will want to make a splash in his first offseason as the Rams' owner. He is a deep pocket who reportedly does not mind spending money to build a winner. Combine that with the Rams' 2010 performance, and I expect that many FAs will be interested in joining the Rams.

9. Stable Contractual Base. The Rams don't have many significant FAs of their own. The top players are all signed through 2011 and beyond. Probably the biggest FA issue will be the decision whether to re-sign Mark Clayton (I'd vote "yes.")

10. Bring on the Bandwagon. It is unlikely that St. Louis will ever be listed among the top football cities in America, but there is something to be said for the bandwagon. I expect that the Rams' 2010 efforts, along with the rise of Sam Bradford, will draw bigger and louder crowds in 2011. The Rams will hopefully be able to build a true home field advantage.

clarasDK is offline Registered User

Re: 10 Reasons Why The Rams' Turnaround Is Real

As always a very nice post, I liked number 3 the most because that was not one I had not thought about.

sonnyjames is offline Registered User

Yep, great post Av and very happy to agree on every point. I posted earlier about trying not to get carried away by next season and beyond when we already have a lot to (hopefully!) still look forward to THIS season...but it's hard not to be excited at what we've got ahead of us right now.

Amendola is the other big one I think we need to tie down. He's a gem, both in terms of his approach to the game and the plays he makes - on special teams and offense. Get him, Avery, Clayton and Alexander signed up and fit and we've got the basis of a really good WR corps (altho I still think we'd need to bring in one real additional threat). Things looking up in that dept - be great to see Sam throwing to those options.

I'm excited for Sunday, but REAL excited about where this team is heading.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

Combine that with the Rams' 2010 performance, and I expect that many FAs will be interested in joining the Rams.
    This could have been a single reason on its own. For the first time in years the Rams will be an attractive team to FAs. Veterans who are looking for success at the end of their careers will see the Rams as a viable team. A steady QB and coach situation, which can't be said for many teams, will also make the team attractive.

The deep pockets of Kroenke will probably help as well .

Rambos is offline Registered User

Great list AV, we still have needs but they can be met.

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

Great post Avenger. I'm looking forward to this offseason, but I hope we don't have to talk about it for another month or so. Specifially because of #8. I'm hoping the new owner will be active enough to really open things up for the front office. Its hard not to be afraid that this will be a one-year thing after all the years of losing, but it sure looks like they've got a good thing going here.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Great 10 points there Avenger. I'd love to see the Rams retain OJ since he's under that fluke contract and will most likely be waived or his deal redone or something in the offseason.

macrammer is offline Registered User

8. Stan Kronke. I have to believe that, assuming the NFL's labor issues are resolved, Stan Kronke will want to make a splash in his first offseason as the Rams' owner. He is a deep pocket who reportedly does not mind spending money to build a winner. Combine that with the Rams' 2010 performance, and I expect that many FAs will be interested in joining the Rams.

Great post. After watching demise of Rams since 1990, due in large part to weak ownership, this one means the most to me !!

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

yeppers. ditto to all.

Go RAMS!

RuffRams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    4. Relatively Easy Need Areas. Finding a QB, LT or starting CBs is difficult. Finding WRs and OLBs is, by comparison, somewhat easier. The Rams still have needs that must be addressed, but they are relatively solid up front on both sides of the ball, and have their franchise QB. One good offseason may be all that is needed to fill the other holes.
    You know what, I was actually thinking about this the other day. This actually is completely true. Other than depth, all we really need is: #1WR, Another playmaking DLineman, OLB, and maybe another solid CB.

This is nothing two or three rounds in the draft/ free agency can't fix. I mean we got saffold, bradford, laurinitis, and smith in those two rounds. Three solid starters on more teams than people believe. And Smith has matured this season, I can see him being our future RT. Sucks we paid him all that money though.