throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

10 Things the Rams DON'T Need

In no particular order...

1. Continuity

Teams often avoid change in the coaching staff and personnel because of the belief that continuity is a key to success. Often, that is true. In the Rams' case, thought, they need to break from the old and bring in new leadership.

2. "Bargains"

The Rams have hurt themselves by trying to out-think the system and find "bargains" in free agency and the draft. What has that brought us? Claude Wroten instead of Haloti Ngata? Jacob Bell instead of Alan Faneca? Jamie Duncan instead of London Fletcher? If you have a need, spend the money/draft choice to get the top guy. Finding MVP QBs at grocery stores is the exception, not the norm.

3. California Dreaming

The Rams are not going back to Los Angeles. The California fan base should accept that fact and try to help the team build a tradition in St. Louis. Most have done so, but some vocal Californians waste a lot of time talking about a move back that will never happen.

4. Michael Vick

No. Just no.

5. Detroit Lionism

For those who dream of Michael Crabtree on draft day, talk to a Lions fan about drafting WRs in the Top 10 when you have other pressing needs.

6. Fans/Media Who Make Steven Jackson the Villain

Steven Jackson is what he is. He talks too much, and has been injured too often. That said, when he is healthy, he is one of the most productive backs in football. The Rams had no choice but to give him a big contract. Hopefully, he'll stay healthy and earn it. Presuming he won't serves no purpose.

7. Trent Green/Gus Frerotte/Jamie Martin

The Rams need a QB of the future backing up Bulger. Not a QB with no future.

8. Rookies Sitting on the Bench

What possible reason could the Rams have for not playing Greco and Schuening. This would seem an ideal time to give them playing time.

9. Richie Incognito

He might be (apart from a healthy Orlando Pace) the most talented player on the O line. But he is not good enough to justify his behavior, both on and (now) off the field. Trade him and get some value when the season ends, but don't bring him back.

10. Nitpicking

I get annoyed when I read critical comments about guys like Atogwe, Carriker, Witherspoon and even Long. These are players to build around, not to tear down. Get them some help and let them do their thing.

BettorFan Guest

Re: 10 Things the Rams DON'T Need

The Rams don't need another Loss

shower beers is offline Registered User

How about a draft pick outside of the top 5?

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

A 700 page playbook!

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

4. Michael Vick

No. Just no.

Although it might be considered cruel and unusual punishment, in retrospect it might have been a good idea to sentence Vick to 3 years behind our offensive line. I mean, if you think about it, it's pretty much the same thing as prison - big angry men are attacking you from all sides while those getting paid to protect you just sit and watch.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

[quote=Nick_Weasel;260018]

Although it might be considered cruel and unusual punishment, in retrospect it might have been a good idea to sentence Vick to 3 years behind our offensive line. I mean, if you think about it, it's pretty much the same thing as prison - big angry men are attacking you from all sides while those getting paid to protect you just sit and watch.[/quote

Funny.

And yes, I would love to see us bring in new personnel, with new and fresh ideas. Also, I would love to see Saunders not come back after this season.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Good thread, AV. I particularly agree with #8, Rookies Sitting on the Bench. The last 5 games should be devoted to identifying players whom you wish to build this franchise around, which ties-into your #10 point. Since is there reason for fans to attend games for a winning team, let them at least see into the future with players that you think will be better as time goes forward. Not our beloved Rams! They are truly becoming the Bengals of the 21st Century.

Go Ram!

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Excellent observations- I agree with each and every one. I particularly like the one pertaining to bargain basement players. The Rams must absolutely do a better job of identifying winning players and paying them accordingly to keep them around for awhile. The list of players they've let go over the years who have been productive elsewhere reads like a laundry list.

SFCRamFan Guest

Great list Av. Number one is the key to everything falling into place. The house cleaning must start at the top to get a new attitude and direction for this team.

eric2810 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    In no particular order...
    8. Rookies Sitting on the Bench

What possible reason could the Rams have for not playing Greco and Schuening. This would seem an ideal time to give them playing time.
    I was going to start a thread about this. So far this season in the NFL, I've learned that rookie's and young bench players can contribute more to a team than you would expect. Thus, if the Rams followed the "Wildcat" trend, then they can surely follow other teams that play their rookies/ young talent more than the Rams. I want to see who really wants to play some football and prove they belong on the team.
    Last edited by eric2810; -11-25-2008 at 08:10 PM.

blood85 Guest

1. gold pants, too damn close to the *****.
    2. A domed stadium
    3. opposing fans taking over the dome
    4.another tight end
    5. another no name, DE (i.e. James hall)
    6. another midget CB ( i.e. Hill)
    7.another "coordinator" as a coach
    8.An owner whose best interest is movies and his housewife sister
    9.A lousy, (i'm being really nice) front office
    10. A pathetic offensive line

Yodude is offline Registered User

9. Richie Incognito

He might be (apart from a healthy Orlando Pace) the most talented player on the O line. But he is not good enough to justify his behavior, both on and (now) off the field. Trade him and get some value when the season ends, but don't bring him back.
    Righhhhhhht....let's get rid of the one player on our o-line that plays with a bit of attitude.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

GolfnRAMFAN is offline Registered User

HAHA, I like the Vick reference! Sorry for bringing such a dumb thread into this forum a couple weeks back. Looking back on it, I think I was just dilusional from the Jets thumping. And I agree with the Lionism. As attractive as Crabtree is, he won't make a dent in solving our problems. Look at them, I bet most people in the forum can name all their top 15 WR picks, good or bad, but can't name anybody on their O-line (maybe with the exception of the BC LT they took this year), and theres a reason for that...

rebel13 Guest

Incognito!? The one Ram who plays with a passion and desire. Not only keep him but hire some of his family members to help teach this Lamb team the same attitude.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

If you play at a Pro Bowl level and have Richie Incognito's mouth, you're an outspoken tough guy who fires his team up.

If you play at the level that Richie plays at and have his mouth, you're just a jerk and a distraction.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast