Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Re: 10 Things the Rams DON'T Need

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    If you play at a Pro Bowl level and have Richie Incognito's mouth, you're an outspoken tough guy who fires his team up.

If you play at the level that Richie plays at and have his mouth, you're just a jerk and a distraction.
    I don't know how much of a distraction he really is. From what i read somewhere, his teammates like him, and Haslett loves him. Sure he distracts us fans, calling us unsupportive, but Im sorry to say his teammates probably agree based on some of the attendance (But just win baby and we'll show up). Sure that Redskins personal foul almost cost us big time, but come on, he yelled at the ref. Did that really deserve a personal foul?

You said it yourself, hes the best blocker on this team. He needs to stick around for a few more years. Trading him has the potential to be on a future list of worst Rams moves.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

In no particular order...

1. Continuity

Teams often avoid change in the coaching staff and personnel because of the belief that continuity is a key to success. Often, that is true. In the Rams' case, thought, they need to break from the old and bring in new leadership.

What continuity? 4 HCs in 8 years & the accompanying turmoil in the FO.
    2. "Bargains"

The Rams have hurt themselves by trying to out-think the system and find "bargains" in free agency and the draft. What has that brought us? Claude Wroten instead of Haloti Ngata? Jacob Bell instead of Alan Faneca? Jamie Duncan instead of London Fletcher? If you have a need, spend the money/draft choice to get the top guy. Finding MVP QBs at grocery stores is the exception, not the norm.

I agree except for some of your examples. Wroten vs Ngata? A first rounder vs a 3rd? I'd say the lack of continuity in approach at the top had more to do with missing out on Faneca than a deliberate strategy. The Fletcher move still kills me,though.
    3. California Dreaming

The Rams are not going back to Los Angeles. The California fan base should accept that fact and try to help the team build a tradition in St. Louis. Most have done so, but some vocal Californians waste a lot of time talking about a move back that will never happen.

I agree but LA itself is more to blame. No team wants to move there. Certainly makes more logistical sense for an NFC team to be on the West coast. Wasilla,here we come.If Chip needs to sell,preventing a move because he wants to honor his Mom's wishes is NOT an acceptable reason. I'm not knocking the St Louis fanbase but the Money needs to come through locally to make the team attractive for the longterm success of the team.

4. Michael Vick

No. Just no.
    I despise Vick's crimes but it's hard not to feel like a hypocrite every time I eat meat if I condemn the man for life for mistreating animals.Or do dogs deserve special protection because we don't take the family cow to the park for a game of fetch?
    If he can still play, I'd snatch him for a back-up in a heartbeat.
    5. Detroit Lionism

For those who dream of Michael Crabtree on draft day, talk to a Lions fan about drafting WRs in the Top 10 when you have other pressing needs.

If taking a BPA helps Devaney find more help via trade of players/picks than one player could provide, I'd say we have to risk it.

6. Fans/Media Who Make Steven Jackson the Villain

Steven Jackson is what he is. He talks too much, and has been injured too often. That said, when he is healthy, he is one of the most productive backs in football. The Rams had no choice but to give him a big contract. Hopefully, he'll stay healthy and earn it. Presuming he won't serves no purpose.

Agreed. We pin far too much of our hopes and frustration on individual players.

7. Trent Green/Gus Frerotte/Jamie Martin

The Rams need a QB of the future backing up Bulger. Not a QB with no future.

Agreed. I'm fine with anvet QB back-up but make him a guy whose skill set offers a change-up. if our pocket passer gets pummeled out of the game, have a scrambling improviser to offer a real alternative.Cassel's legs kept him & his team alive until he could grow into the role & relieve the pressure on his injured o-line.
    8. Rookies Sitting on the Bench

What possible reason could the Rams have for not playing Greco and Schuening. This would seem an ideal time to give them playing time.

I agree if you want to be totally ruthless & put either TG or BB at QB and let them suffer for their mistakes.
    9. Richie Incognito

He might be (apart from a healthy Orlando Pace) the most talented player on the O line. But he is not good enough to justify his behavior, both on and (now) off the field. Trade him and get some value when the season ends, but don't bring him back.

I disagree. he's a good player with an immature mouth/attitude. His onfield problems & over-spun comments about the fans look worse because of our overall failures.
    What does it say about The rams that our Baddest Asses are potsmokers and small potatoes hotheads? If we had lost to The Skins because he swore at the refs, is that on him or the refs perception of him/ Or the coach who got him overly-amped? How many guys has Cogs actually hurt?

10. Nitpicking

I get annoyed when I read critical comments about guys like Atogwe, Carriker, Witherspoon and even Long. These are players to build around, not to tear down. Get them some help and let them do their thing.
    There are so many genuine nits to pick on The Rams, this does seem to be unfair. Like most things, the biggest nits are upstairs & on the sidelines wearing headsets, for failing to coach them properly & play them where their talent can show .

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    I don't know how much of a distraction he really is. From what i read somewhere, his teammates like him, and Haslett loves him. Sure he distracts us fans, calling us unsupportive, but Im sorry to say his teammates probably agree based on some of the attendance (But just win baby and we'll show up). Sure that Redskins personal foul almost cost us big time, but come on, he yelled at the ref. Did that really deserve a personal foul?

You said it yourself, hes the best blocker on this team. He needs to stick around for a few more years. Trading him has the potential to be on a future list of worst Rams moves.
    Personally I really don't care what any of the players think right now. They are all performing, at lets say at a least than desirable level and I'm being way to kind. It's time for someone to step up and be a leader on this team whether they vocalize it or show thru example, it simple must be done. The players need to look in the mirror and ask do they want to be pro players or do they want to let opportunity pass them by. And the coaching staff needs to quit trying to save there own ass by saying it's a lack of execution. Light a fire and if they don't execute then replace them. Stop the b.s. and get back to fundamentals of football, like tackling, blocking and show the desire to win.
    And by calling Richie the best blocker on this team really doesn't say much.

Falconator Guest

In no particular order...

4. Michael Vick

No. Just no.
    Take it from this message board's Falcon fan.......and former Michael Vick fan....

Rams should want no part of Michael Vick. I am sure he will come out of prison - hopefully a better and stronger man but there is just too much "not to like" about Vick. Let me count the ways:

1) He was never a hard worker - Vick got by in the NFL on his talent alone. During the game he was a warrior and competitor but his work ethic in practice and offseason was "poor" at best. A leader has to not only lead "on the field" but also "off the field".

2) Vick is not and never will be an accurate passer. He's short and gets the "3-step drop" passes batted down and intercepted too much.

3) Vick's first instinct when a play breaks down is to run. Consequently, the wide receivers tend to break off their routes and stand around watching Vick run around - messes up the continuity of the wide receivers.

4) for all of Vick's mobility, he got sacked a lot. Vick could extend plays with his speed but offensive linemen never knew where he was so it was hard for them to block for him. Vick rarely threw the ball away and when he got sacked it would be a 15-20yd loss instead of a 7-10yd loss.

5) Vick does not throw to spots where the WRs are supposed to be - he does not anticipate well (like a Matt Ryan ).

6) Vick is pushing 30yrs old and has never really been a good QB - he has the arm strength and of course he can run like the wind - but he will start slowing down soon and - where does that leave him when he's a substandard passer.

I really hope Michael Vick does come back and be successful - I just think the odds are against him having a lot of success. The guy has the talent but he is going to have to totally mature, work harder than he ever has and transform himself into a real QB. With all of his off the field issues and baggage - PETA will picket every game the first year - I just think many teams will think its not worth it.

The Falcons still hold Michael Vick's "rights" and would love to trade him - don't think they would get much - best case scenario is probably a 3rd round pick.

If I'm the Rams - Michael Vick is not a direction I would even consider - don't do it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12