Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 11 penalties....

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

11 penalties....

...in one half?

Yea, it's preseason but holy crap! Clean it up fellas!

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

citr92 is offline Registered User

Re: 11 penalties....

i think a lot of starters are not in

though yes, backups are and they need to STOP IT

DE_Ramfan is online now Registered User

Refs need practice too!

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

I don't know what the answer is, but Baltimore is playing backups, and they have 2 penalties to the Rams 12.

Clean it up is right.
    RockinRam, NJ Ramsfan1 and citr92 like this.

thoey is offline Registered User

Love Fish's response at the half:

(paraphrase) I don't like it, but most those people won't be here next week any ways...
    macrammer and citr92 like this.
    This space for rent...

Rambos is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by thoey View Post
    Love Fish's response at the half:

(paraphrase) I don't like it, but most those people won't be here next week any ways...
    Yep that's how I feel about it. Not worth talking about.

Conrath, Pettis, Stewart, Stevens, Quick, Stevens, Rivers, Barksdale, Young, Goebel, Armstrong, Woodard, Shelby Smith, Bates, Woodard, Young, Woodard

Again, I don't want to make too much of this......but there's a lot of names on that list that WILL be around next week.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Conrath, Pettis, Stewart, Stevens, Quick, Stevens, Rivers, Barksdale, Young, Goebel, Armstrong, Woodard, Shelby Smith, Bates, Woodard, Young, Woodard

I thought there were 12 penalties? You left off r8rhrmike!

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post

I thought there were 12 penalties? You left off r8rhrmike!
    18 were called. 17 were accepted. We gave up 123 yards to penalties.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post

Again, I don't want to make too much of this......but there's a lot of names on that list that WILL be around next week.
    I don't know how people can just dismiss this point. Penalties were a problem the entire preseason, and things never improved. I get that a lot of the guys committing the penalties will be gone, but the fact remains, the Rams were THE most penalized team in the NFL last year, and the only team to average over 8 a game. You simply can not be a successful team killing drives, and giving an advantage to opponents with senseless mistakes. If there is a plan to minimize penalties, I'd really like to see it implemented.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Too many penalties, pure and simple. R8hr8hrmike's main point and stat showing we were the most penalized team in the NFL last year cannot be dismissed. We are not good enough to overcome this lack of discipline within the game.

Fixing this is on the coaches. It's part of what they're paid to do.
    mde8352gorams likes this.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I don't know how people can just dismiss this point. Penalties were a problem the entire preseason, and things never improved. I get that a lot of the guys committing the penalties will be gone, but the fact remains, the Rams were THE most penalized team in the NFL last year, and the only team to average over 8 a game. You simply can not be a successful team killing drives, and giving an advantage to opponents with senseless mistakes. If there is a plan to minimize penalties, I'd really like to see it implemented.
    To be honest I would be more concerned with the three fumbles then the insane amount of penlites called in the fourth game of preseason.
    If there is a plan to minimize penalties, I'd really like to see it implemented.
    Keep and eye on the waiver wire today and Saturday and you will see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    To be honest I would be more concerned with the three fumbles then the insane amount of penlites called in the fourth game of preseason.
    My problem with penalties (which again, were an issue the ENTIRE preseason), is that they can often have the same effect as fumbles/turnovers, especially on third downs (offense and defense), and in the red zone. Additionally, it's maddening to see something happen that is a direct result of discipline, which a team has control over. Regardless, if we continue to average near double digit penalties per game, talent and preparation won't mean much.
    Rambos likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    My problem with penalties (which again, were an issue the ENTIRE preseason), is that they can often have the same effect as fumbles/turnovers, especially on third downs (offense and defense), and in the red zone.
    Excellent point. For example, from last night:

Matt Conrath's 5 yard Encroachment penalty turned a 2-15 into a 2-10 for the Ravens. Their next play was a 13 yard run for a 1st down. That series ended in a TD. Without the penalty, that run doesn't generate a 1st down, but rather a 3-2. Who knows from there?

Pettis' PI penalty wiped out an Austin catch to the 8 yard line, which would have been 1st and goal. Instead, the Rams get a 4-12 at the 28. Zuelein hits the FG for 3, but they might have left 4 points on the field.

Barksdale's holding call erased a 22 yard catch by Quick. Instead of 1-10 from the 20, the Rams were dealt 3-27 from the 48. Bailey makes a catch to trim the yardage, but GZ's field goal attempt hits the upright from 53. That's at least 3 points left on the field.

Goebel's roughing the passer turns a 4-8 from the 16 into a 1-goal from the 8. They hit the end zone next play. Assuming they kick on 4-8, that's an extra 4 points given to them.

That's about 18 points lost due to penalties. It really does make a difference.
    RealRam likes this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post

That's about 18 points lost due to penalties. It really does make a difference.
    Boy, does it ever! No doubt one of the Rams priorities to tend to NOW.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast