Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: With the 112th pick of the 2011 Draft, the Rams take Greg Salas, WR, Hawaii

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Re: With the 112th pick of the 2011 Draft, the Rams take Greg Salas, WR, Hawaii

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    To be fair, there are times when I think Def Leppard's drummer would be a better safety than Dahl or Butler.
    Obv. you've never seen him play or you wouldn't make such wild assertions such "there are times." Had you actually watched the tape you'd know that Rick Allen shows exceptional ball tracking skills and provides a tremendous physical presences against the run. I'd put him right up there with the best safeties in the league. Apparently his contract demands are outrageous though.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    My point was just that adding where a player was drafted (or not drafted) has absolutely no bearing upon whether the team needs to upgrade or not, and seems like an attempt to skew the perception of a player's ability .
    It's for the people who may not have heard of some of these guys. I could say Gary Gibson, the guy who went undrafted and bounced around the league having been cut by the Ravens and Panthers and never starting a game until he came here, but I thought UDFA sort of summed that situation up pretty well. I guess I could have said journeyman career backup with limited physical tools with little expectation of improvement instead.

Draft position does tell you something about younger players because if a player played poorly last season as a rookie but was viewed as a player with enormous potential with a great record of success in college, there would be reason to think he might be significantly better this year. What we have are some below average players who also likely have low ceilings.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

Wow! I just got home and did not expect this! It's just sad that our front office/coaching staff thinks that a 3rd and a 4th round pick are better then what we already have on the roster. I don't know how much these new guys really improve the team even IF they are upgrades.
    Last edited by mikhal5569; -04-30-2011 at 02:39 PM.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    I guess I could have said journeyman career backup with limited physical tools with little expectation of improvement instead.
    Couldn't you have said that about Kurt Warner at one point in his career?

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Draft position does tell you something about younger players because if a player played poorly last season as a rookie but was viewed as a player with enormous potential with a great record of success in college, there would be reason to think he might be significantly better this year. What we have are some below average players who also likely have low ceilings.
    The perception of players changes over time. Would you take 6th round draft choice George Selvie, or 6th overall draft choice Vernon Gholston? From that description, boy, I'd sure want Gholston, but I'd take Selvie at this point. Once a player proves they can play at the NFL level, their draft position becomes irrelevant. When evaluating whether a player can play at the NFL who is on the roster, draft position is irrelevant. A team should never say "Well, yea, this guy is better, but he was an UDFA, so I guess he's cut cause we have a 4th rounder"

Again, placing that designation merely serves to attempt to skew perception of the player by saying "Well he wasn't well thought of in the draft, ergo he is not a good player." I agree with the general idea that players drop for a reason, and it's not because teams are morons who just can't evaluate talent, it's because there is something wrong with the player. That still doesn't make it a valid exercise to use the draft position of current NFL players as a basis to evaluate their ability.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I wouldn't be shocked if Robinson, Gibson, and perhaps even Gilyard have trouble making the team this year
    I was thinking the same thing, one thing is obvious and that is: we aren't happy with our current crop of WR's.

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

Yeah...this pick tells me the Front Office is done with about half of our receivers. I was wrong, they aren't rebuilding part of the offense, they're rebuilding almost the entire thing.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

These receivers drafted havent got that wow factor with top end speed, but there an upgrade on nearly every WR who is currently on the roster. Look what Bradford got out of a mediocre Mark Clayton.
    These receivers will come in and will contribute straight away, Sam I believe will get in sync we these 2.
    Out of the many problems Sammy B faced last year was inconsistency from the WR's, be it through injury or struggling with the playbook. Salas and Pettis will bring a lot more toughness and mental stability to the position, which was a drive killer for us last season.
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -04-30-2011 at 03:28 PM.

chucknbob is offline Registered User

Thanks for the video, it makes me less pissed off.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

In the video, Salas looks great catching the ball, but his run after the catch ability looks kind of iffy. He looks decent in the video, but by looking at his cuts, spins and other moves, his success looks like it's because of the defenses, not his running talent.

BM_Face is offline Registered User

The thing about Salas and Pettis is that both of them can catch. The rest can be coached, but the ability to catch the ball is what our current receivers lack. We have tried coaching up speed guys and failed.
    A defeated look of consternation, dissappointment, or even pain. The name derives from the look one often gets when challenged by a large BM.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Not a terrible pick....just dont like it because I dont think he will see playing time. Avery, Clayton, Alexander, Salas, Pettis and Amendola. Thats if Gilyard, Gibson, Robinson, and Curry all get cut. I didn't really see the need of drafting another #3 or #4 receiver. Lets hope this offense is improved at the end of the day.

harrydog is offline Registered User

So, no RB. I sure hope SJ can remain healthy for the entire season (and post season).
    I wish we would have taken Leshoure instead of Kendricks. Oh well...

DieHard23 is offline Registered User

Guy looks really physical after the catch and invites a lot of contact, something we don't really have on the roster at WR already.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Personally, I love the pick. Love it in the same way that I love what we've done with the rest of our early pick this year. It seems to me like we've gone out to get a bunch of dependable guys who can form a significant part of our rotation. I wouldn't be surprised to see us dress six or seven WRs this year. You won't know which ones are coming in, who to cover, etc. I love that we've given ourselves receiving options where there were none before. This is the ultimate options draft, in my opinion. It's not going to be the same rag-tag bunch of guys as last year - guys who we more or less had because there was nobody else to play.

IMO, this is the end for Gibson, Robinson and Fells.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

The reason the Rams drafted Pettis & Salas was a simple one. They were sure handed when catching the football not many dropped balls..
    Gibson & fells gone! To many drops.
    I think Salas can play the wideout position, not just slot. That was the spread "O" at Hawii he played in college.

Let the Compitition Begin.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast