Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

With the 149th pick of the NFL Draft, the Rams select Hall Davis, DE, ULL

Rams add a defensive end, discuss!

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: With the 149th pick of the NFL Draft, the Rams select Hall Davis, DE, ULL

From NFL Draft Scout...

Overview

One of the more intriguing invitations to the Scouting Combine was Davis, a fairly unproductive prospect from the Sun Belt, the conference historically producing the fewest drafted prospects in the FBS (WR Brandon Stokley was the last Cajun invited to the Combine, in 1999). Davis never even earned honorable mention accolades by league coaches, yet found himself in Indianapolis with 300-plus of the best prospects in the country.

Davis was to play as a true freshman, but suffered an ankle injury in the season's first game that forced him to take a medical redshirt. He then played all 12 games in 2007, starting as many games as he had tackles (two). Again he played in every game as a sophomore, increasing his tackle total to 11 (1.5 for loss). In his last two seasons, he started every game but had modest production (24 tackles, five for loss, 3.5 sacks in 2008; 22, 4.5, three in 2009).

Despite a lack of eye-popping statistics, scouts wanted him in Indy to see his athleticism up close. He was not exceptional there, but showed just enough upside in drills to pique the interest of NFL administrators looking for a pass rush end with fair strength (28 reps). He could also play a 3-4 rush linebacker, as he did stand up for the Cajuns most of 2009.

More athlete and potential than production at this point, coaches may push for Davis as a late-round selection because they feel they can work with his physical tools.
    Analysis

Pass rush: Looks the part of a strong pass rusher, with nice length and a strong upper-body build. Often plays standing up. Uses his long arms to push lesser tackles back toward the quarterback and flashes the violent hands to shake off the tackle, but does neither consistently. Agile enough to pressure bootlegs run to his side of the field. Needs counter pass rush moves; right now is a one-trick pony outside rusher. Will dance in front of defender instead of taking him on. Looks lost when dropped into coverage but has the athleticism to chase the ball in his zone.

Run defense: Has the agility to keep containment on his side of the field, even on misdirection plays, whether or not he is engaged. Can swipe away oncoming blockers, but gets pushed out of the play too easily when engaged instead of holding his ground on the edge. Gets skinny between doubles to free himself. Instincts are questionable; will take false steps and hesitate, but often got away with it against lesser competition. Lacks great ball awareness.

Explosion: Good, not great, first step off the edge. It would be easy to see him improve in this area with coaching and when given the green light to attack the passer. Hesitates when meeting blockers instead of using his length and strength to bowl them over.

Strength: Only flashes his strength on the field, but can be impressive with his ability to discard linemen or get into their pads to push them backward. Anchor is an issue, as his leg strength and leverage are only average.

Tackling: Good closing speed to the quarterback and forces some early throws when not getting sacks. Has good length to corral ballcarriers in space when in his wheelhouse. Does not break down or have great change of direction ability, however, and will whiff against elusive NFL receivers and running backs. Willing chaser but is usually second or third man to the pile, lessening tackle numbers. Takes poor angles to the ball in coverage.

Intangibles: Late bloomer in high school, and has gained 50 pounds since arriving at Lafayette.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RockinRam is offline Registered User

High motor player, but needs time to develop.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

At least we got something in the draft.

general counsel is offline Registered User

At this point of the draft, i have no problem with the Rams taking a guy upside that they like. The odds of getting real production here arent great. Meanwhile, i think Jonathan Dwyer is going to be a good pro.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Rammed is offline Registered User

Not really familiar with this guy

Dwyer would be great, if we can still get him

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Hmmmmm would rather of had Ricky sapp or take Sheffield before the te we selected but its all good. Keeping the faith

general counsel is offline Registered User

Sapp is a tweener, a much better guy in a 3-4 system. He doesnt really fit for us. He is a poor man's kindle. He isnt going to be able to cover at all as a linebacker.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Sapp is a tweener, a much better guy in a 3-4 system. He doesnt really fit for us. He is a poor man's kindle. He isnt going to be able to cover at all as a linebacker.
    I think that's why a lot of people saw Sapp moving to DE as a limited time pass rusher.

These picks are out of my pay grade so I'm glad the Rams have qualified NFL people in there deciding. It's such a comfortable feeling knowing guys like Spags have looked at him and this pick isn't coming off a paid draft list.

Alec22 is offline Registered User

Why hall davis over austin lane??

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Alec22 View Post
    Why hall davis over austin lane??
    I was wondering the same thing myself.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

No idea who this guy is, and I'm not clear where the upside is from that description. An unproductive DE from the weakest division in college football who wasn't even particularly impressive at the Combine? A 4 year starter with 6.5 career sacks? I hope the best is yet to come.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    No idea who this guy is, and I'm not clear where the upside is from that description. An unproductive DE from the weakest division in college football who wasn't even particularly impressive at the Combine? A 4 year starter with 6.5 career sacks? I hope the best is yet to come.

I was a bit confused about that myself. If there's one position where I trust Spags judgment though, its the d-line. I'm sure he's seen some potential in him that made him worth being picked.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) Guest

This one's over my head, drafted purely off potential, you can't ask for much else at this stage of the draft.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Positives: Size/speed prospect who flashes ability. Fluid moving about the field, quickly changes direction and shows speed in pursuit. Plays with good lean, fights with his hands throughout the play, and slides off blocks to get the ball-carriers. Possesses a tremendous burst to the action and makes a lot of athletic plays on the field.

Negatives: Marginally instinctive and at times over-runs the action. Gets caught in the wash or handled at the point by tight ends.

Analysis: Davis is a terrific developmental prospect with potential in a four-man front. He offers a lot of upside yet must quickly start to produce on the field.

Projection: 7th
    First, where did this pick come from? I assume we traded up to get it, but what did we give up to do it? And what do they see in this guy that made them think they needed to move up to get him? He gets manhandled by TEs? Not exactly a quality you look for in a DE. I'm very confused by this pick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast