Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: With the 14th pick in the 2011 Draft, the Rams select Robert Quinn, DE, UNC

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Re: With the 14th pick in the 2011 Draft, the Rams select Robert Quinn, DE, UNC

didn`t expect him to fall..we had quite a few great options as it turned out.but very happy with the pick...Long and Quinn should be a great duo for years to come.

JFMose is offline Registered User

Lookin forward to what he can bring

6-5 270....i wonder how fast he is....never heard of him before.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Other than Julio Jones dropping to us, this is about as great as we could've hoped for. With Quinn missing the season he became slightly undervalued, yet many reports had him as the best pure pass-rushing end in the draft. I'd be more concerned about his (lack of) run-stopping ability if we didn't have Chris Long on the other side. Long is a balanced DE, Quinn is more of a speed rusher. It evens out perfectly.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

North Carolina's Robert Quinn determined to overcome past challenges and succeed in the NFL
    By Mary Kay Cabot, The Cleveland Plain Dealer
    Published: Wednesday, April 20, 2011, 7:00 PM
    Updated: Thursday, April 21, 2011, 7:46 AM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Robert Quinn didn't allow a brain tumor to keep him from becoming one of the premier pass-rushers in college football. He's certainly not about to let a one-year suspension deter him from doing the same in the pros.

"The tumor made me appreciate just the little things in life. Don't take anything for granted. Live life to the fullest," said the North Carolina defensive end, one of the players the Browns are considering with the sixth pick of the NFL Draft's first round. "The suspension made me mature and watch the people who come around me. I hope it won't [hurt my draft stock]. I set the bar high and I want to be one of the best in the NFL."

Neither the benign tumor, which was discovered when Quinn was a senior in high school, nor the suspension, which he served in 2010 after accepting improper agent benefits, has thrown the Browns off the scent of this enticing edge-rusher. Team officials attended Quinn's Pro Day on April 1 -- where he ran a superb 4.58 in the 40 -- and brought in him for a visit last week.

"He's a heck of a football player," General Manager Tom Heckert said at the combine. "There's no question why people are talking about him. He plays hard, he can rush the passer. He can do a lot of things that you're looking for in a defensive lineman."

Quinn enjoyed his visit with the Browns and could envision playing here.

"I got a great vibe while I was there," he said. "I enjoyed meeting Coach Holmgren [team president Mike Holmgren] and Coach [Pat Shurmur]. They seemed to really like me, but I've gotten that feeling from a lot of teams."

Doctors discovered Quinn's tumor after he blacked out three times, and determined it was benign. It's still there, but he hasn't had any problems since his surgery in 2007. Quinn also underwent an MRI at the combine.

"At one point they told me I should've been brain dead," Quinn said. "I looked at my mom when they told me I wouldn't play sports again, and I became that big old baby and busted out in tears. It was just heartbreaking. But it didn't slow me down. And four years later, I'm still going."

The tumor didn't prevent former Browns and current Tar Heels coach Butch Davis from bringing Quinn to North Carolina. "If anything, it showed us how much of a fighter he was," said Tar Heels defensive coordinator Everett Withers.

Quinn (6-4, 265) started 12 games as true freshman and then broke out in 2009 with 19 tackles for a loss -- tops in the ACC -- and 11 sacks, second in the conference. He also forced six fumbles and recorded 15 quarterback hurries.

"If he had played this year, he might've been the first or second pick overall," said ESPN's Mel Kiper on a conference call.

Instead, Quinn was one of 13 Tar Heels suspended in an agent scandal that rocked the program. Quinn accepted $5,642 in improper benefits, including two black diamond watches. He also reportedly lied to the NCAA during the investigation.

"I made a selfish mistake and I truly apologized for it," he said. "When we played LSU and I went down to support the team, in the middle of the game I was about in tears in the stands."

Of the 13 suspended players, Withers missed seeing Quinn play the most.

"I have a hole in my memory because of Robert not playing this year," said Withers. "We were cheated out of seeing him grow up, as a person and a player. He's a rural kid who's not worldly and got caught up in some stuff. Obviously, he had no idea what it was going to cost everyone."

Withers said Quinn was the one player who called him, Davis and other coaches to apologize.

"He said 'hey coach, I screwed up, I'm sorry, I miss you,'" said Withers. "I think it bothered Robert more than anyone else."

Despite the year off, Withers is convinced Quinn is the No. 1 player in this draft.

"I wouldn't take anybody over Robert Quinn," said Withers. "I'd stand on the table for him. He's similar to [Clemson's] Da'Quan Bowers, but I'd take Quinn. He's very talented, very raw and his ceiling is so high. We just barely tapped into what he can do."

Withers said Quinn has the potential to be as good as another North Carolina product, six-time time Pro Bowler Julius Peppers.

"Robert can be on that level," said Withers. "I was around Jevon Kearse with the Titans, and Casey Hampton and Shaun Rogers at Texas. Robert is right in the mix with those guys."

Withers said Quinn's explosive first step is what sets him apart. "He's got the physical ability to dip and bend and get to the quarterback," said Withers. "If an offensive tackle oversets him, he can long-arm a guy, pick him up, and take him right back to the quarterback. If you're playing for inside move, he can go around you. He's a dangerous pass-rusher."

NFL Network's Mike Mayock ranks Quinn as the best pass-rushing end in the draft. "He makes absolute sense for the Browns at No. 6. He has rare and elite skills and I think he's going to be a dominant player in the league."

Quinn draws comparisons to DeMarcus Ware as well as Peppers, but doesn't like to compare.

"Why do I need to be the second of somebody else?" he said. "Why can't I be the first Robert Quinn?"

The Browns might be the team to find out.

LongBlood is offline Registered User

Absolutely LOVE this pick! After the first 10 picks, saw 3 d-line men I loved still on the board (no, Fairley wasn't one of them, nor was Luiget), and was praying please Billy D., DO NOT SCREW THIS UP. Nailed it! Great pick, even did a shot of Patron after it, it was that good. Almost as good was seeing seeing the 9'er take Smith who I think will be bust. Absolutely great 1st round so far. If they get the WR I'm hoping in the 2nd round, might go down as the most important draft in Rams history IMO.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LongBlood View Post
    Absolutely LOVE this pick! After the first 10 picks, saw 3 d-line men I loved still on the board (no, Fairley wasn't one of them, nor was Luiget), and was praying please Billy D., DO NOT SCREW THIS UP. Nailed it! Great pick, even did a shot of Patron after it, it was that good. Almost as good was seeing seeing the 9'er take Smith who I think will be bust. Absolutely great 1st round so far. If they get the WR I'm hoping in the 2nd round, might go down as the most important draft in Rams history IMO.
    Hope you're enjoying your crow on bashing Billy D after bashing on him drafting Bradford last year.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

I uploaded an unbelievable picture of Quinn in my photo album. The kid is solid muscle. 265# with a six pack is amazing.
    Semper Fi!

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Works for me!

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    Hope you're enjoying your crow on bashing Billy D after bashing on him drafting Bradford last year.
    It's only 1 pick, he hasn't redeemed himself completely yet, and I was bashing for Jason Smith (2 yrs ago, not last year) and also for D Avery over D Jackson. It's bad when your the day of the draft your non Ram fan best friend tells you that their 2nd round pick (James L.) will be better than their first, and you do nothing but agree. That was 2 yrs ago. Damn you KC! My red zone target I wanted, is now off the board. Grrrrrrr!!!!!!!!

punahou is offline Registered User

Well I can say Im still one of the few here who isnt falling head over heels with Bradford.
    However, I am very happy with this pick. I am a defensive guy anyhow, and Im old school in the sense that I still feel that defense wins championships.

I am proud that the Rams had the wherewithall to go out of their normal comfort zone, and draft a proven collegiate star that was given a raw deal by the NCAA. Excellent pick whomever pulled this trigger; and hopefully it continues on.
    Last edited by punahou; -04-28-2011 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    BTW, I only bashed on him taking Bradford because I didn't like how he built the team for him, when we KNEW we needed a QB, and IMO the BEST QB since Peyton Manning was coming in Bradford (and he was staying in school for another year). I've always loved Bradford, but didn't like the situation he was brought in, with the WR Corps. Because of that, I still feel Suh should have been the pick. There is still a lack of foresight by Billy D, for that, straight up. I'm really really curious what happens now in round 2 with the Baldwin now off the board. Grrrrr!

jmk321 is offline Registered User

When they first made the pick I was still mad about Detroit taking Fairley but now I'm really happy about this pick. Probably a lot safer than if they picked Fairley if he was available and him with Long is very exciting.

Ramendola16 is offline Registered User

Hooooooboy. This excites me to no end. Our D-line is a young stud DT away from being one of the best in the league. Our DE rotation is gonna be scary.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Our middle of the line is still kind of sketchy, but with a line like Quinn, Long, and supporters like Robbins and Gibson, it will be solid.

Also, what if Stephen Paea falls to us in the 2nd round?
    Ramendola16 likes this.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

So now we add the character risks? Awesome. Yes, I know we need help on the line, he has all this fabulous upside, and the wideouts were long gone, but I've become very tired with the "swing for the fences" draft strategy that doesn't hit nearly as often as it should.

I'd rather we played it safe and went with Liuget.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast